Observations from this Monday BSP Sub-committee meeting.

Steve Barnick

Feb 8, 2012, 12:52:44 PM2/8/12
to Barton Springs, Zilker, FBSP-Google Listserv, Tom Nelson, Gary Gregson, Tom Weber, Gary Beyer
Friends and Neighbors,
I attended this Monday's BSP Sub-committee meeting and observed something of interest.  A brief was presented by the Forestry department regarding two trees recommended for removal. That exchange resulted in the sub-committee approving that recommendation.

My observation was:
Forestry department was straight forward presenting the status of  these trees, they obtained a second opinion from a respected source, and brought it before the sub-committee via a brief. There was discussion that another opinion about the trees should be pursued, I wondered how many opinions are enough and who should bare the cost...the committee shared that sentiment.

Is it possible that an outside source could fund another opinion? When is this appropriate? How does this help with the process?

There were comments that remedies were suggested but not acted upon. Were those remedies outside the limit? Could a citizen group advocate to get funding for those remedies?

In my opinion there is a limit to what can be done by the city and we should understand what that limit is. There also should be opportunities for citizen groups to obtain funding to possibly keep these trees safely around a bit longer when that limit is approaching. I heard during these discussions that the threatened trees are part of a health assessment program that is conducted every 6 months. This report should be high profile and part of regularly posted and discussed updates so that not only can the evaluation of these trees by the city be transparent but that outside groups that want to help with saving these trees can get involved and invested earlier in the process.

There were 28 trees in dire need of attention. We have lost several since 2009 and are in the process of losing another two.

Which one is next?  How close are we to the limit? What can be done?

I do not have answers, only questions, and desire.

NOTE: This effort is above and beyond the mulching watering, and new tree planting that is a vital part of the health of the entire tree population. It is an effort to try and keep these threatened trees around a little bit longer if at all possible.

Regards,
Steve