Friday 5: Math

Lucy Gray

Feb 4, 2011, 11:37:25 AM2/4/11
to fri...@googlegroups.com

Happy Friday! Here's a quick list of some of my recent finds via my Facebook and Twitter networks. Hope you find them useful!

Lucy Gray

elem...@gmail.com

1. Khan Academy

http://www.khanacademy.org/

The Khan Academy is a repository of teaching materials and self-paced exercises that has received a great deal of media attention. I can't attest to the quality of the videos and exercises, but this model may be the way of the future. However, I don't believe a site like this can replace a teacher. Most of the content looks to be geared towards middle grades and up, but the exercises could be used with younger kids. I tried out their addition exercises and I like how the user can use a scratch pad, get hints and track their progress.

 2. Math Maps

http://edte.ch/blog/maths-maps/

This is a very interesting project blending Google Maps and math problems from the ultimate Google Certified Teacher, Tom Barrett. Click on the placemarks to see the various problems contributed by teachers all over the globe, and make sure you zoom in well enough to see that landmarks or areas that the problems refer to.

3.  OCSD Interactive Games

http://resources.oswego.org/games/

Check out the plethora of math games that go a bit beyond the typical kill and drill sites. I like this site in particular because it isn't cluttered with a lot of advertising.

4. PHMS Podcasts: Making Math Real!

http://phmspodcasts.blogspot.com/

These podcasting projects by middle schoolers are a good example of how kids can use technology to explain mathematical thinking. My guess is that the teacher had the students use Apple's Keynote program for this and possible had a template setup for the actual podcast in Garageband or something. If you plan ahead using such templates, you can streamline the process for creating vignettes such as these.

5. PBS Math Games

http://pbskids.org/games/math.html

One stop shopping for all math related games on PBS Kids. Most of these are probably geared towards younger students.