Lucie and Lucy's Friday Five

Lucie deLaBruere

Feb 6, 2009, 10:35:31 PM2/6/09
to Friday 5
Thank you, Lucy for allowing me to collaborate with you on coming up
with weekly list of websites around a theme to post every Friday.

I look forward to collaborating with you and also adding this feature
to the Infinite Thinking Machine blog.

I've decided to make this week's Friday Five around the theme of Cell
Phones in education due to a lively discussion happening at my school
around this topic. The discussion coincides with much discussion on
the educational technology scene around the release of the Horizon
2009 Report.

Hope you enjoy the list of websites around cellphones in education
which ranges from futuristic predictions, to practical ideas for using
cellphones in education, to safety tips.

#1 2009 Horizon Report » One Year or Less: Mobile
wp.nmc.org/horizon2009/chapters/mobiles/

The whole Horizon Report is a MUST read for anyone interested in
technology, change, new media, and education. Take note of the biggest
prediction for ONE year or LESS: MOBILE
An accompanying web site focusing these issues on education is1.
http://horizon.nmc.org/k12/Main_Page

#2 From Toy to Tool: Cell Phones in Learning
www.cellphonesinlearning.com/
(and related interviews or podcast with the author of this site)

Cell Phones in Education - An Interview with Liz Korb - Interviews -
cellphones.org/blog/interviews/cell-phones-in-education-an-interview-
with-liz-korb

Cell Phone Books - Reading Is Reading :: The Education Business Blog
www.educationbusinessblog.com/2008/02/cell_phone_books_reading_is_re.html

#3 Good Web Post from Wes Fryer with thoughtful insights and resources
http://www.speedofcreativity.org/2008/01/30/opening-minds-about-cell-phones-for-learning/

#4 Guidelines and Instructional Uses for Cellphones in Education

http://teachdigital.pbwiki.com/cellphones
Explore reasons some school districts are embracing the use of cell
phones for learning both inside and outside the classroom and examine
specific guidelines school districts are utilizing for student cell
phones.

#5 E-School News article about risky behaviors by students related to
cell phone use
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top-news/news-by-subject/safety-security/index.cfm?i=54064
A good article in Eschool News about how schools are handling some of
the more recent riskier behaviors related to cell phones.