Friday Night Live EP 7 - America's Cup (Pre 1992)

1 view

Sam Peirson

May 15, 2020, 1:59:04 PM5/15/20
to friday-night-i...@googlegroups.com
This week is a bit different. Niko and Sam are diving into the history of the oldest international sporting trophy, the America's Cup! We will talk about how it was formed and how it has shaped the technological evolution of sailing. Zoom Chat Link for Friday Night Live https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83120229618

  1. How the America's Cup works, deed of gift and how it works, The America, the Seawanhaka rule

    1. Start at 50 seconds

    2. https://youtu.be/MgNNUlY7yPQ?t=50

  2. The J Class and The Universal Rule

    1. This was a direct result of the Seawanhaka Rule in an attempt to save costs and make the boats safer

    2. Yes this actually saved money

    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrsVekhMPFE

  3. The 12 Meters

    1. Post WWII and another attempt to save costs by going to smaller boats

    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yau9A7XDHs

      1. It's a quicker watch than you want it to be

    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SPrLL-A-U

  4. 1983 The winged keel

    1. Second to last 12 meter race

    2. This puts on display the never ending push of technology in the Americas cup, very similar in a way to what we see today

    3. https://youtu.be/9soFVYnywbM?t=24

      1. Australia II’s winged keel

    4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYadO8fPjlM

      1. Wind (the whomper)

      2. Not entirely realistic as sails are heavily regulated

  5. 1988 America's Cup

    1. THis was the first hostile deed of gift challenge

    2. Defender goes to court (NYSSC)to try and dismiss the challenge as they wanted to continue to race in 12 meters

    3. Deed of Gift race is essentially a Box Rule Race

    4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Il-R5pNz0

To join some Virtual Friday Night Racing please join our Discord Server https://discord.gg/Fxd6kc

Stay Safe and see you tonight!
Sam