ESC2 cannot compile

Ralf Hemmecke

Jul 3, 2024, 11:48:39 AMJul 3
to fricas-devel
Hi Waldek,

I just got the latest commits. I still have FriCAS compiled from
afedede66703871b24eb5cb8383d962d8aec05b3.

Now I get

%%% (327) -> )co /home/hemmecke/g/fricas/src/algebra/fspace
Compiling FriCAS source code from file
/home/hemmecke/g/fricas/src/algebra/fspace.spad using old system
compiler.
ESC2 abbreviates category ExpressionSpace2
initializing NRLIB ESC2 for ExpressionSpace2
compiling into NRLIB ESC2

>> System error:
The function BOOT::|ExpressionSpace2| is undefined.

Is this just me, or does it mean that cannot change anything in
fspace.spad and manually re-compile that in a session?

Does that also happen in your compiled version of the current master
(eec2f4bf0c5ca3)?

Ralf

Waldek Hebisch

Jul 3, 2024, 12:19:04 PMJul 3
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
For changes like this you need to follow proper bootstrap sequence:

)boot $bootStrapMode := true
)compile fspace.spad
)boot $bootStrapMode := false
)compile fspace.spad

When developing similar changes you need to recompile all things
which depend on change and which you want to use, directly or
indirectly.

Full build takes care of bootstrapping and recompiles everything, so
after that things works in expected way.

And yes, if I try to compile 'fspace.spad' using similar command to yours
(I never compile things in source directory which you did), then
I see the same error. And no, recompiling 'fspace.spad' from
current trunk using new FriCAS works fine.

--
Waldek Hebisch

Ralf Hemmecke

Jul 3, 2024, 2:43:58 PMJul 3
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On 7/3/24 18:19, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> And yes, if I try to compile 'fspace.spad' using similar command to yours
> (I never compile things in source directory which you did),

Do you mean ")sys pwd" in my case showed
/home/hemmecke/g/fricas/src/algebra/ ?

That is not true. I was /home/hemmecke/g/qeta/tmp when I compiled the
file. Or do I understand something wrongly?

Ralf

Waldek Hebisch

Jul 3, 2024, 3:01:42 PMJul 3
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
I mean giving paths to source tree. In the past just compiling things
would modify source tree (I hope that this is fixed now), so that
was part of the reason. Main point is that I want source tree in compilable
state, so I modify copy in a separate directory and compile it.
And I had no need to compile by hand unmodified sources, that is
handled by build machinery.

I am not saying that you should do what I do. Simply I have my
may of working and that lead to difference that should not matter,
but to avoid misunderstanding I mentioned it.

--
Waldek Hebisch

Ralf Hemmecke

Jul 3, 2024, 4:54:26 PMJul 3
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On 7/3/24 21:01, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> I mean giving paths to source tree. In the past just compiling things
> would modify source tree (I hope that this is fixed now), so that
> was part of the reason.

OK. But since my sources are a git repository, I would realize if there
suddenly would be some changed made by a compilation. I haven´t realized
that. And if there were "git reset --hard" would give me back the exact
checkout of the current HEAD.

> Main point is that I want source tree in compilable
> state, so I modify copy in a separate directory and compile it.

You do different directories. I use git branches for that.

> I am not saying that you should do what I do. Simply I have my
> may of working and that lead to difference that should not matter,
> but to avoid misunderstanding I mentioned it.

Ah, now I understand.

Ralf