How to correctly uninstall Fricas on linux?

Nasser M. Abbasi

Jun 30, 2021, 7:52:29 PM6/30/21
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
The notes   http://fricas.sourceforge.net/doc/INSTALL.txt  says to install Fricas to do the following
-------------------------
So if you have sources and all prerequisites, then
         configure && make && sudo make install

 should work. The above will install FriCAS files into "/usr/local/lib/fricas/" and put the "fricas" command into "/usr/local/bin/".
------------------------------

After doing the above. If I want to uninstall Fricas cleanly and remove all files installed, what are the instructions to do that?

This is all on Linux. I could not find any instructions on this so far.

Waldek Hebisch

Jun 30, 2021, 9:01:16 PM6/30/21
to 'Nasser M. Abbasi' via FriCAS - computer algebra system
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 04:52:28PM -0700, 'Nasser M. Abbasi' via FriCAS - computer algebra system wrote:
> The notes http://fricas.sourceforge.net/doc/INSTALL.txt says to install
> Fricas to do the following
> -------------------------
> So if you have sources and all prerequisites, then
> configure && make && sudo make install
>
> should work. The above will install FriCAS files into
> "/usr/local/lib/fricas/" and put the "fricas" command into
> "/usr/local/bin/".
> ------------------------------
>
> After doing the above. If I want to uninstall Fricas cleanly and remove all
> files installed, what are the instructions to do that?

Almast all FriCAS files go into subdirectories of /usr/local/lib/fricas
Only files that go into other places are:

/usr/local/bin/fricas
/usr/local/bin/efricas

Concerning /usr/local/lib/fricas, intent is that this subdirectory
should be only used by current FriCAS install. If this is the
case remove the two files installed in /usr/local/bin and
content of /usr/local/lib/fricas. If you have something more
in /usr/local/lib/fricas, then you should know what you are
doing. Note that FriCAS install target in the Makefile will
remove everthing from /usr/local/lib/fricas, so you can
just install new version over old one and all traces of
older version will be gone. And if you want to play tricks
with /usr/local/lib/fricas be careful as make install with
default paths will remove old content of it.

--
Waldek Hebisch