dilog(x)

Grégory Vanuxem

May 31, 2024, 12:52:51 PMMay 31
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

First there is a small typo in FSFUN:

dilog: dilog(z) is the dilogaritm;
A missing 'h'.

But I do not understand what this function computes in FriCAS, usually
it is a special case of polylogarithm of order 2.

In SAGE via https://sagecell.sagemath.org/
dilog(0.7) => 0.889377624286039

WolframAlpha also (https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=dilog%5B0.7%5D)

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylogarithm, there is a
disambiguation note with lix) (logarithmic integral) and it seems the
code use it, but I still don't understand this result in FriCAS:

(3) -> dilog(0.7)

(3) 0.3261295100_7547606953_084133
Type: Complex(Float)

- Greg

Waldek Hebisch

May 31, 2024, 2:25:58 PMMay 31
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 06:52:11PM +0200, Grégory Vanuxem wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First there is a small typo in FSFUN:
>
> dilog: dilog(z) is the dilogaritm;
> A missing 'h'.
>
> But I do not understand what this function computes in FriCAS, usually
> it is a special case of polylogarithm of order 2.

We have definition in LiouvillianFunctionCategory:

dilog : % -> %
++ dilog(x) returns the dilogarithm of x, i.e.
++ the integral of \spad{log(x) / (1 - x) dx}.

It is releated to 'polylog(2, x)':

(13) -> polylog(2, x)

(13) dilog(- x + 1)
Type: Expression(Integer)

> In SAGE via https://sagecell.sagemath.org/
> dilog(0.7) => 0.889377624286039

(14) -> dilog(0.3)

(14) 0.8893776242_8603873859_98408
Type: Complex(Float)

> WolframAlpha also (https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=dilog%5B0.7%5D)

OK. We inherited this definition from original Axiom sources.
And I did literature research and our definition agrees with
what I found in research papers about dilogarithm and
polylogaritms.

It is tempting to change definition, but given usage in math
litarature and our previous use I kept what we had.

> >From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylogarithm, there is a
> disambiguation note with lix) (logarithmic integral)

'li(x)' is logarithmic integral, quite a different thing than
dilogarithm. Some folks use 'Li' as name of polylogarthim,
that could be confusing.

> and it seems the
> code use it, but I still don't understand this result in FriCAS:
>
> (3) -> dilog(0.7)
>
> (3) 0.3261295100_7547606953_084133
> Type: Complex(Float)
>
> - Greg
>
> --

Waldek Hebisch

Grégory Vanuxem

May 31, 2024, 2:44:46 PMMay 31
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Le ven. 31 mai 2024 à 20:25, Waldek Hebisch <de...@fricas.org> a écrit :

> On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 06:52:11PM +0200, Grégory Vanuxem wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > First there is a small typo in FSFUN:
> >
> > dilog: dilog(z) is the dilogaritm;
> > A missing 'h'.
> >
> > But I do not understand what this function computes in FriCAS, usually
> > it is a special case of polylogarithm of order 2.
>
> We have definition in LiouvillianFunctionCategory:
>
> dilog : % -> %
> ++ dilog(x) returns the dilogarithm of x, i.e.
> ++ the integral of \spad{log(x) / (1 - x) dx}.
>
> It is releated to 'polylog(2, x)':
>
> (13) -> polylog(2, x)
>
> (13) dilog(- x + 1)
> Type: Expression(Integer)
>

> > In SAGE via https://sagecell.sagemath.org/
> > dilog(0.7) => 0.889377624286039
>
> (14) -> dilog(0.3)
>
> (14) 0.8893776242_8603873859_98408
> Type: Complex(Float)

Exactly what I found too after, trying to reproduce an issue with the
triple patch from Qian with official FriCAS.

> > WolframAlpha also (https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=dilog%5B0.7%5D)
>
> OK. We inherited this definition from original Axiom sources.
> And I did literature research and our definition agrees with
> what I found in research papers about dilogarithm and
> polylogaritms.
>
> It is tempting to change definition, but given usage in math
> litarature and our previous use I kept what we had.

My source was Internet here, I can understand your point of view.
I will look at the Expressin domain to khow it is handled so.