config.guess weirdness

Martin R

Oct 6, 2017, 8:40:58 AM10/6/17
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
I am forwarding an observation by Eric Bray, concerned with making FriCAS an optional (as opposed to experimental) package for sagemath.  It would be great if you could comment, ideally on https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23847?replyto=35#comment, otherwise here...

Weirdly, last time FriCAS [https://sourceforge.net/p/fricas/code/2251/ updated their `config.guess`], the version it was updated to does not correspond exactly with the [http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob;f=config.guess;h=1f5c50c0d1529d50b94dc3533ca72a47f0fa5849;hb=47681e2a9b5e8236e38cffe03c85e571782fc080 upstream `config.guess` from the same date], almost as if it were hand-edited and mistakes were made.

oldk1331

Oct 6, 2017, 9:55:04 AM10/6/17
to fricas-devel
Hi, you can see the change here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/fricas-devel/u7HT8s_lMF8/n6UGeTvyAgAJ

Quote:

They are slightly hacked to produce shorter names.

Yes, originals are from autotools. This version is hacked
to produce slightly shorter names, instead of say

x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

it gives

x86_64-linux-gnu

END QUOTE

So it seems that we should stick to autotools default then,
since this hack causes problem in Cygwin, and also
update config.guess to latest version.

oldk1331

Oct 6, 2017, 7:37:02 PM10/6/17
to fricas-devel
Hi Martin, I saw the "pr.children()" problem in your ticket,
a suggestion:

Why not use "fricas -nosman" instead of "fricas -nox -noclef"
to start FriCAS? Using "fricas -nosman", there's only 1
process, AXIOMsys.

Martin R

Oct 7, 2017, 2:40:55 AM10/7/17
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Thank you for the hint, I'll try this right now!

Martin R

Oct 7, 2017, 5:49:42 AM10/7/17
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
For some reason, that doesn't work.  I can start fricas on the command line with fricas -nosman, and in sage manually, but for some reason it breaks the interface :-(

oldk1331

Oct 7, 2017, 9:05:57 PM10/7/17
to fricas-devel
On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 5:49 PM, 'Martin R' via FriCAS - computer
algebra system <fricas...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> For some reason, that doesn't work. I can start fricas on the command line
> with fricas -nosman, and in sage manually, but for some reason it breaks the
> interface :-(

From the ticket link, seems that it works now?

Well, I think there's something wrong with "sman", it also causes
a problem in TeXmacs interface.

Martin R

Oct 8, 2017, 1:49:05 AM10/8/17
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Yes, sorry not to notify.  The difference is in the line endings, sman sends \r\n, AXIOMsys only sends \n.  I made it insensitive now, because one may want to start sman to have graphics and hyperdoc.

Thank you!

Martin