I get an when trying to make Fricas

Agnelo De Araujo

Oct 26, 2022, 7:42:07 PM10/26/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Hi all,
When trying to build Fricas, I get the following error when trying to make.
My system is:
Fedora 36

Error:
making explot2d.input
parsing: ExPlot2DPolar
writing:    draw(sin(4*t/7),t = 0..14*%pi,coordinates == polar)
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for messageFont
Warning:  could not get the 8x13 font for buttonFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for headerFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for titleFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for graphFont
Warning:  could not get the 6x10 font for unitFont
double free or corruption (!prev)
parsing: ExPlot2DAlgebraic
writing:    draw(y^2 + y - (x^3 - x) = 0, x, y, range == [-2..2,-2..1])
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for messageFont
Warning:  could not get the 8x13 font for buttonFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for headerFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for titleFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for graphFont
Warning:  could not get the 6x10 font for unitFont
parsing: ExPlot2DFunctions
writing:    draw(sin(tan(x)) - tan(sin(x)),x = 0..6)
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for messageFont
Warning:  could not get the 8x13 font for buttonFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for headerFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for titleFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for graphFont
Warning:  could not get the 6x10 font for unitFont
parsing: ExPlot2DParametric
writing:    draw(curve(9 * sin(3*t/4),8 * sin(t)),t = -4*%pi..4*%pi)
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for messageFont
Warning:  could not get the 8x13 font for buttonFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for headerFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for titleFont
Warning:  could not get the 9x15 font for graphFont
Warning:  could not get the 6x10 font for unitFont
/usr/bin/xvfb-run: line 186: kill: (375936) - No such process
make[3]: *** [Makefile:689: explot2d.pht] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/agnelo/Documents/Fricas/fr-build/src/doc'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:772: copy-to-target] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/agnelo/Documents/Fricas/fr-build/src/doc'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:224: all-doc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/agnelo/Documents/Fricas/fr-build/src'
make: *** [Makefile:250: all-src] Error 2

oldk1331

Oct 27, 2022, 6:50:32 AM10/27/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Hi,

I can reproduce this error on Fedora 36 desktop.

Just to make sure, did you build fricas in desktop or in (remote) console?
I assume you are building under desktop and you can see the drawings popup.
But that is not expected.

As you can see in the log, there's possible memory fault (double free or corruption (!prev))
and if you check dmesg, there might be seg faults.  But seems that's not directly
linked with this error.

I think this is somewhat related with https://github.com/fricas/fricas/issues/57

The solution is same: remove "-n 0" from XVFB=... in configure and configure.ac

It is strange that we are still using "-n 0": first the help shows that it is deprecated
to use "-a" together with "-n"; second, it's easy to conflict with current DISPLAY
to use "0".

- Qian

Ralf Hemmecke

Oct 27, 2022, 7:02:01 AM10/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
> It is strange that we are still using "-n 0": first the help shows
> that it is deprecated to use "-a" together with "-n"; second, it's
> easy to conflict with current DISPLAY to use "0".
I think that we should get rid of "-n 0".

Ralf

Qian Yun

Oct 27, 2022, 7:50:21 AM10/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
OK, the "xvfb-run --help" on Fedora shows:

-a --auto-servernum
try to get a free server number, starting at --server-num
(deprecated, use --auto-display instead)

-d --auto-display
use the X server to find a display number automatically

Well, the "--auto-display" option is not necessary available on
other systems. So we should stay with "-a" option but drop "-n".

More info on this bug:

by adding extra argument "-e errlog" to xvfb-run we can see the
error is indeed "Server is already active for display 0."

Now, about seg fault in "view2D":

gdb shows that it happens in "XFreeFont" in function "goodbye"
in file "src/graph/view2D/stuff2d.c".

Comparing with function "goodbye" in "src/graph/view3D/stuff3d.c",
which doesn't have "XFreeFont".

By commenting out those "XFreeFont", now there is no more
"view2D" seg faults and no more "double free or corruption (!prev)"
messages.

- Qian

Ralf Hemmecke

Oct 27, 2022, 9:20:16 AM10/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On 27.10.22 13:50, Qian Yun wrote:
> OK, the "xvfb-run --help" on Fedora shows:
>
> -a        --auto-servernum
> try to get a free server number, starting at --server-num
> (deprecated, use --auto-display instead)
>
> -d        --auto-display
> use the X server to find a display number automatically
>
> Well, the "--auto-display" option is not necessary available on
> other systems.  So we should stay with "-a" option but drop "-n".

On Ubuntu 22.04.1:

$ xvfb-run --auto-display
xvfb-run: unrecognized option '--auto-display'
$ echo $?
1

Shouldn't that be sufficient to let configure.ac check whether that
option is available and generate the respective xvfb-run command line,
i.e. the XVFB variable, to use it if yes?

Unfortunately, I do not have an xvfb-run available that recognized the
--auto-display option.

Maybe configure.ac could even use "xvfb-run --help | grep --
'--auto-display'", no?

Ralf

Agnelo De Araujo

Oct 27, 2022, 4:01:30 PM10/27/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
I built it in desktop not a remote console

-Agnelo

Agnelo De Araujo

Oct 27, 2022, 5:08:03 PM10/27/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
So I managed to make and install it, but for some reason the command "fricas" wasn't added to my bash source file

Ralf Hemmecke

Oct 27, 2022, 5:16:35 PM10/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On 27.10.22 22:25, Agnelo De Araujo wrote:
> So I managed to make and install it, but for some reason the command
> "fricas" wasn't added to my bash source file

Huh? The FriCAS installation script will not touch your .bashrc.

It depends on how you have actually installed it.
With "sudo make install" fricas should live in /usr/local/bin. And if
/usr/local/bin is in your PATH then all should be fine.

If you install without "sudo" you must set the PATH accordingly in your
.bashrc.

Does that help?

Ralf

Agnelo De Araujo

Oct 28, 2022, 10:20:42 AM10/28/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
yes it does. Thank you for the help and your work on FriCAS.