FriCas

Gennaro Ferrelli

Sep 26, 2022, 4:44:56 AM9/26/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Hi, I'm a Mac user. I have arm64 architecture, so the MacBook with m1 chip. how can I install fracas for SageMath ? thanks all

Martin R

Sep 26, 2022, 6:06:42 AM9/26/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Very likely,
$ sage -i fricas
on the console works.  If it doesn't, it may be easier to install fricas separately, sage will then know how to use it.

Nasser M. Abbasi

Sep 26, 2022, 6:14:07 AM9/26/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
If you downloaded sagemath source tar file, you can just do, after extracting it

./configure --enable-fricas
make
make install

Since sagemath does not automatically build fricas (it does for giac and maxima)

And it will now build sage with fricas automatically.

Otherwise you'd have to download fricas separately and install it. Either from source or download binary

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 26, 2022, 6:16:47 AM9/26/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 11:14 AM 'Nasser M. Abbasi' via FriCAS -
computer algebra system <fricas...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> If you downloaded sagemath source tar file, you can just do, after extracting it
>
> ./configure --enable-fricas
> make
> make install
>
> Since sagemath does not automatically build fricas (it does for giac and maxima)
>
> And it will now build sage with fricas automatically.
An explicit

make fricas

(or sage -i fricas) will attempt to build fricas regardless of
./configure --enable-fricas

> Otherwise you'd have to download fricas separately and install it. Either from source or download binary
>
> http://fricas.sourceforge.net/download.html
>

> On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 5:06:42 AM UTC-5 axio...@yahoo.de wrote:
>>
>> Very likely,
>> $ sage -i fricas
>> on the console works. If it doesn't, it may be easier to install fricas separately, sage will then know how to use it.
>> On Monday, 26 September 2022 at 10:44:56 UTC+2 gex.fe...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I'm a Mac user. I have arm64 architecture, so the MacBook with m1 chip. how can I install fracas for SageMath ? thanks all

Gennaro Ferrelli

Sep 26, 2022, 6:34:53 AM9/26/22
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Thanks for all the replies. I downloaded sagemath from the GitHub site and it's a dmg file. I can open either the terminal from sage app (web) or the console at launch of the program. I don't know well the to do list to install Fricas but I found this on the site:

''The -i option is not supported by the sage executable in this app, but many optional Sage packages are included. Note that GAP packages which are not included in the gap_packages spkg can be installed from within sage by using the PackageManager GAP package. These will be installed in the user's ~/.gap directory.''

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 26, 2022, 8:58:50 AM9/26/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 1:47 PM Gennaro Ferrelli <gex.fe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies. I downloaded sagemath from the GitHub site and it's a dmg file. I can open either the terminal from sage app (web) or the console at launch of the program. I don't know well the to do list to install Fricas but I found this on the site:
>
> ''The -i option is not supported by the sage executable in this app, but many optional Sage packages are included. Note that GAP packages which are not included in the gap_packages spkg can be installed from within sage by using the PackageManager GAP package. These will be installed in the user's ~/.gap directory.''

then installing FriCAS standalone might be the easiest way out.

As soon as FriCAS can be found in PATH, it can be used from Sage.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/d971983b-6990-49a4-af9f-a44cca0c2295n%40googlegroups.com.

Gennaro Ferrelli

Sep 26, 2022, 4:50:15 PM9/26/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
How can i install It?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "FriCAS - computer algebra system" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/CAAWYfq35YiAZvNfQHfPta%3DVifsLq202xajiGJRqiJ_vB_mEdww%40mail.gmail.com.

Ralf Hemmecke

Sep 26, 2022, 5:27:36 PM9/26/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 26, 2022, 5:55:51 PM9/26/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022, 22:27 Ralf Hemmecke, <ra...@hemmecke.org> wrote:
http://fricas.github.io/install.html

that's a seriously Debian/Ubuntu-centric guide.

On macOS one ought to recommend installing Homebrew and necessary pre-reqs.

Once Homebrew is installed, you'd need to run something like

brew install ecl
./configure --with-lisp=ecl
make

On 26.09.22 22:29, Gennaro Ferrelli wrote:
> How can i install It?

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 26, 2022, 6:06:26 PM9/26/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 10:55 PM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2022, 22:27 Ralf Hemmecke, <ra...@hemmecke.org> wrote:
>>
>> http://fricas.github.io/install.html
>

> that's a seriously Debian/Ubuntu-centric guide.
>
> On macOS one ought to recommend installing Homebrew and necessary pre-reqs.
>
> Once Homebrew is installed, you'd need to run something like
>
> brew install ecl
> ./configure --with-lisp=ecl
actually on macOS it's better be

./configure --with-lisp=ecl --enable-case-insensitive-file-system-check=no

We also have patches for FriCAS 1.3.8 , see
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/tree/develop/build/pkgs/fricas/patches
- one of them macOS-specific.
(to be applied before running configure, naturally)

Not sure whether they (or some of it) is in the development version
(perhaps if you use another lisp, e.g. sbcl,
they are not needed)

Andrey G. Grozin

Sep 26, 2022, 11:49:45 PM9/26/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 26 Sep 2022, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> brew install ecl
> ./configure --with-lisp=ecl
> make
Why ecl? It is very slow. sbcl is much faster.

Andrey

Gennaro Ferrelli

Sep 27, 2022, 2:34:57 AM9/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
But Is fricas only compatibile with MacOS based on Intel architecture ?

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 27, 2022, 3:11:44 AM9/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
we use ecl in Sage - because it can produce dynamic libraries callable from other environments. (we call it from Python).

although fricas interface is not done this way (more work? - I guess it should be done one day)
we use such an interface for Maxima.

Andrey

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 27, 2022, 3:13:02 AM9/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022, 07:34 Gennaro Ferrelli, <gex.fe...@gmail.com> wrote:
But Is fricas only compatibile with MacOS based on Intel architecture ?

Is it so? Or is it that just nobody tested it on M1 macs?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FriCAS - computer algebra system" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/CALKJhhBjzD6RB8f3JriFU40kEGdGy%2BFp_WBBrd5wD9zFV9eD4w%40mail.gmail.com.

Qian Yun

Sep 27, 2022, 8:17:53 AM9/27/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
FriCAS should work on ARM Macs, but AFAIK nobody tried yet.

To do so, one should use homebrew to install sbcl and compile from
source.

FriCAS binary for ARM Macs will be provided when GitHub CI supports
it.

BTW, FriCAS can be compiled on arm64 Android phone, via termux + ECL.

- Qian

Gennaro Ferrelli

Sep 29, 2022, 11:51:28 AM9/29/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
sage -i fricas
Sorry, this binary distribution does not support installing sage packages.
If fricas is available from pypi you may install it by running
    %pip install fricas
from the sage prompt.

I tried this but didn’t work

Grégory Vanuxem

Sep 29, 2022, 12:45:39 PM9/29/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gennaro,

So apparently, if you want to use FriCAS in SageMath  you'll need to build it, it’s not available in binary form for your computer architecture.

FriCAS is built on top of a Common Lisp implementation. It’s not a Python package, pip is a Python package manager. As said by Qian, you can try to build FriCAS using the Homebrew package manager and SBCL or ECL (Lisp implementation):

Additionally you will need gcc, make and other tools to be able to build it and a shared library, libspad.so, included in source tarball. When all prerequisites are installed may be you'll be able to build and install FriCAS via the usual:

(In a shell #/bin/bash in Homebrew apparently)
./configure
make
make install

Regards,
__
Greg

PS: I don't own a Mac

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FriCAS - computer algebra system" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fricas-devel/84B3B59C-3394-4E56-B753-DF157CEBF65E%40gmail.com.

Pieter van Oostrum

Nov 2, 2022, 5:44:38 AM11/2/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Fricas on MacOS can also be installed with macports

sudo port install fricas
--
Pieter van Oostrum <pie...@vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/

Grégory Vanuxem

Nov 2, 2022, 12:35:38 PM11/2/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

Waldek Hebisch

Nov 2, 2022, 5:09:57 PM11/2/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 10:44:35AM +0100, Pieter van Oostrum wrote:
> Fricas on MacOS can also be installed with macports
>
> sudo port install fricas

Thanks for info. Could you say if hyperdoc/graphics works with
macports? If yes I think it is worth pointing out, as
hyperdoc/graphics was troublesome for some folks building
on Mac OS just from sources.

--
Waldek Hebisch

Pieter van Oostrum

Nov 3, 2022, 11:45:25 AM11/3/22
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Yes, if you have some X11 system installed (for example macport's port xorg-server, or XQuartz).