Sturdy refs

Alan Karp

Feb 26, 2023, 2:43:57 PM2/26/23
to <friam@googlegroups.com>
In the discussion of sturdy refs at the last friam, I noted that Client Utility used a credential instead.  Terry said that the credential was just a sturdy ref connected with an object, in this case a clist.  That's not quite right, since the same credential could be used to connect to different clists on different vats.

--------------
Alan Karp

Mark S. Miller

Feb 26, 2023, 5:29:34 PM2/26/23
to fr...@googlegroups.com
I don't get it. What does such a reusable credential say?

  Cheers,
  --MarkM

Alan Karp

Feb 26, 2023, 6:57:58 PM2/26/23
to fr...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 2:29 PM Mark S. Miller <eri...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't get it. What does such a reusable credential say?

It's anything the vat receiving the credential decides to accept.  It could be a nonce, as in the case of a Client Utility introduction, in which case it connects the presenter with a specific clist on a specific vat.  It  could be an authentication that is accepted at many vats for many different clists.

Alan Karp