Arizona

Douglas Crockford

Nov 28, 2023, 9:33:25 AM11/28/23
to friam

My book JavaScript: The Good Parts was banned in Arizona prisons in July 2015. I don't know why.

I can fantasize that the security systems in Arizona are so incompetent that they could be hacked by inmates, and that a suspected hacker had access to a copy of my book. Banning the book is easier than building competent systems. You need smarts to fix the system. Book banning does not require smarts.

Levelling down everyone's competence is not an effective approach to securing systems. It is popular with despots, but ultimately it does not work.

JavaScript: The Good Parts does not contain any secrets of vulnerabilities. What it can do it teach a valuable professional skill and perhaps practice at thinking systematically. It should be in all of the libraries.

๏̯͡๏ Jasvir Nagra

Nov 28, 2023, 11:03:04 AM11/28/23
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Of course I agree with you but the most interesting counter example I've heard an argument for is controlling information regarding refinement of fissile material for nuclear weapons.  I'm surprised that it has worked for as long as it has (if that is the reason rather than say control over the raw ore).

--
Jasvir Nagra

Mike Stay

Nov 28, 2023, 12:30:42 PM11/28/23
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Recent articles I've read about prison censorship:
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2023/03/16/prison-banned-books-policies-what-we-know
https://reason.com/2023/10/09/federal-prison-censors-reason-issue-about-how-federal-prison-employed-serial-rapists/
> --

Mike Stay - meta...@gmail.com
https://math.ucr.edu/~mike
https://reperiendi.wordpress.com

Marc Stiegler

Nov 28, 2023, 1:38:50 PM11/28/23
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Yet another possibility is that several terrorist organizations have tried to refine fissile material and killed themselves with radiation poisoning. Since these are people who think it's a good idea to celebrate at weddings by shooting assault weapons, one can reasonably question whether they have the competence and discipline to handle nuclear material.

Of course, learning Javascript's good parts is an obvious part of any good retraining program for people who are paying their debt to society and will soon reenter the work force.

--marcs

Alan Karp

Nov 28, 2023, 3:45:32 PM11/28/23
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Do you know if any other books were banned at the same time?

--------------
Alan Karp

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 6:33 AM Douglas Crockford <dou...@crockford.com> wrote:

Douglas Crockford