Who came up with the term

Alan Karp

Jan 12, 2024, 5:51:01 PMJan 12
to cap-...@googlegroups.com, <friam@googlegroups.com>
Principle of Least Authority.

Can you point to something, e.g., a document or talk, that identifies its first use?

--------------
Alan Karp

John K

Jan 12, 2024, 5:59:20 PMJan 12
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Wikipedia credits Jerry Saltzer, related to Multics, at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege

- johnk
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/friam/CANpA1Z3Ya0VPFiRFM81FBRf7n%3DmFHpx2uzy4kiLjHoZcy5XLcA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/friam/CANpA1Z3Ya0VPFiRFM81FBRf7n%3DmFHpx2uzy4kiLjHoZcy5XLcA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alan Karp

Jan 12, 2024, 6:58:32 PMJan 12
to fr...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 2:59 PM John K <stable.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wikipedia credits Jerry Saltzer, related to Multics, at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege

That's Principle of Least Privilege.  I'm looking for who coined the term Principle of Least Authority.

Tony Arcieri

Jan 12, 2024, 7:34:01 PMJan 12
to fr...@googlegroups.com
Possibly this paper, which contrasts Saltzer and Schroeder’s notion of POLS to POLA: http://www.erights.org/talks/asian03/paradigm-revised.pdf

--
Tony Arcieri

Mike Stay

Jan 12, 2024, 7:41:11 PMJan 12
to fr...@googlegroups.com

Mark S. Miller

Jan 12, 2024, 7:47:38 PMJan 12
to fr...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 4:41 PM Mike Stay <meta...@gmail.com> wrote:
This one's from FC2000:
http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/ode/overview.html

Yes, I am rather confident The Ode was our first published use of the term.

Paradigm Regained
is where I first introduced the distinction between permission and authority, so my earlier use of "authority" was not making a sharp distinction.

Paradigm Regained is superseded by Part 2 of my dissertation
which of course came later.