Merry Christmas with Frescobaldi 2.0!

Wilbert Berendsen

Dec 26, 2011, 5:07:52 AM12/26/11
to lilypo...@gnu.org, fresc...@googlegroups.com
Dear LilyPond-lovers,

After 14 months of very heavy development I am happy to announce
Frescobaldi 2.0, which is a full rewrite of Frescobaldi 1.x and not
dependend on KDE anymore, which makes it usable on all platforms
supported by Python and PyQt4.

Most well-known features of the 1.x line are there and some new as
well: the built-in MIDI player, two-way point and click, and smart
snippets/templates that can also contain Python scripts. Missing is
Rumor support but native MIDI input and import is planned.

Get it via http://www.frescobaldi.org/ , which on its Download page also
lists the required dependencies.

Sincere thanks go to all early testers and translators!

Merry Christmas and a happy 2012!!
Wilbert Berendsen

Werner LEMBERG

Dec 26, 2011, 10:33:17 AM12/26/11
to wbs...@xs4all.nl, lilypo...@gnu.org, fresc...@googlegroups.com

[GNU/Linux 3.1.0-rc9 on openSuSE Factory]
[frescobaldi 2.0.0]
[python 2.7.2]
[Qt 4.8.0]
[PyQt4 4.9]
[sip 4.13.1]
[python-poppler-qt4 0.16.2]

This is the first time I try to install and use Frescobaldi. Inspite
of having all prerequisites, the program issues

Could not load the popplerqt4 module.

Ideas?

Werner

Brett McCoy

Dec 26, 2011, 10:58:49 AM12/26/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, lilypo...@gnu.org
On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> After 14 months of very heavy development I am happy to announce
> Frescobaldi 2.0, which is a full rewrite of Frescobaldi 1.x and not
> dependend on KDE anymore, which makes it usable on all platforms
> supported by Python and PyQt4.

Fantastic! I must be missing something obvious... how to uninstall old
versions? I thought there was an uninstall command for setup.py before
but doesn't seem be one now.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
it would overturn the world."

Federico Bruni

Dec 26, 2011, 11:23:54 AM12/26/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, Werner LEMBERG, wbs...@xs4all.nl, lilypo...@gnu.org

Werner LEMBERG

Dec 26, 2011, 2:51:20 PM12/26/11
to fede...@gmail.com, fresc...@googlegroups.com, wbs...@xs4all.nl, lilypo...@gnu.org

>> [GNU/Linux 3.1.0-rc9 on openSuSE Factory]
>> [frescobaldi 2.0.0]
>> [python 2.7.2]
>> [Qt 4.8.0]
>> [PyQt4 4.9]
>> [sip 4.13.1]
>> [python-poppler-qt4 0.16.2]
>>
>> This is the first time I try to install and use Frescobaldi. Inspite
>> of having all prerequisites, the program issues
>>
>> Could not load the popplerqt4 module.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/frescobaldi/browse_thread/thread/8b83526ff13f6dd0/1f691c446f67ef39?lnk=gst&q=Could+not+load+the+popplerqt4+module#1f691c446f67ef39

Thanks, but this isn't the problem. On my box, I have

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/popplerqt4.so

and `strace' shows that Frescobaldi finds the library and tries to
open it:

open("/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/popplerqt4.so", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 13
fstat64(13, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=6397207, ...}) = 0
open("/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/popplerqt4.so", O_RDONLY) = 14
read(14, "\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0\3\0\1\0\0\0\3604\1\0004\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512

Werner

Richard Cognot

Dec 26, 2011, 4:53:56 PM12/26/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Werner LEMBERG a �crit :

> open("/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/popplerqt4.so", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 13
> fstat64(13, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=6397207, ...}) = 0
> open("/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/popplerqt4.so", O_RDONLY) = 14
> read(14, "\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0\3\0\1\0\0\0\3604\1\0004\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512

Are you sure it's not a 32/64 bits issue (i.e. that the popplerqt4.so
binary is of the same type as the python executable in that respect?).

Also make sure the popplerqt4.so library is not missing a dependency by
checking that

ldd popplerqt4.so

Does not return any unfound library.

Regards,
Richard.

Doug Laidlaw

Dec 26, 2011, 9:56:19 PM12/26/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 02:58:49 AM Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > After 14 months of very heavy development I am happy to announce
> > Frescobaldi 2.0, which is a full rewrite of Frescobaldi 1.x and not
> > dependend on KDE anymore, which makes it usable on all platforms
> > supported by Python and PyQt4.
>
> Fantastic! I must be missing something obvious... how to uninstall old
> versions? I thought there was an uninstall command for setup.py before
> but doesn't seem be one now.

I have seen this one asked before. There is no "make uninstall." You can
simply overwrite the old one. There is a file somewhere in the installation
directory listing the steps in the installation. Apparently you can unwind
the installation using that file as a guide. I simply delete the subdirectory
in /usr/lib or /usr/share. The executable in /usr/bin will be overwritten
anyway.

HTH,

Doug

Federico Bruni

Dec 27, 2011, 4:26:18 AM12/27/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
2011/12/27 Doug Laidlaw <laid...@hotkey.net.au>:

>> Fantastic! I must be missing something obvious... how to uninstall old
>> versions? I thought there was an uninstall command for setup.py before
>> but doesn't seem be one now.
>
> I have seen this one asked before.  There is no "make uninstall."  You can
> simply overwrite the old one.  There is a file somewhere in the installation
> directory listing the steps in the installation.  Apparently you can unwind
> the installation using that file as a guide.  I simply delete the subdirectory
> in /usr/lib or /usr/share.  The executable in /usr/bin will be overwritten
> anyway.

I never build and install Frescobaldi.
Anyway, I remember that you can generate a file listing all the files installed,
so you know what you can manually remove.

I can't remember exactly how it works.
Maybe you can find it in the doc:

http://docs.python.org/distutils/

The Doctor

Dec 27, 2011, 10:29:17 AM12/27/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
On 12/26/2011 10:58 AM, Brett McCoy wrote:
On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

After 14 months of very heavy development I am happy to announce
Frescobaldi 2.0, which is a full rewrite of Frescobaldi 1.x and not
dependend on KDE anymore, which makes it usable on all platforms
supported by Python and PyQt4.
Fantastic! I must be missing something obvious... how to uninstall old
versions? I thought there was an uninstall command for setup.py before
but doesn't seem be one now.

Happy Christmas to you Wilbert, and thank you very much for all your hard work and the ''delivery'' of Frescobaldi 2.0. What a great Christmas Present you have given us. I really like the fact that (now I use Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu) that it now does not depend on KDE, so I do not have to have Kubutnu dependencies satisfied (though that was easy to do!). Great job, and thank again!!! I hope you are having a Happy 12 Days of Christmas, and that you will be blessed with a Happy New Year as well!!!

--Michael D

Damian leGassick

Dec 27, 2011, 11:07:13 AM12/27/11
to Frescobaldi
I couldn't initially get this to work under ubuntu if I relied on apt-
get for the dependencies. It worked if I went to the site of each
dependency, downloaded the latest version and installed it manually. I
recommend installing sip before QT or PyQt. and yes, it took ages...

Brett McCoy

Dec 27, 2011, 11:24:50 AM12/27/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Damian leGassick
<damianl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I couldn't initially get this to work under ubuntu if I relied on apt-
> get for the dependencies. It worked if I went to the site of each
> dependency, downloaded the latest version and installed it manually. I
> recommend installing sip before QT or PyQt. and yes, it took ages...

There are PPAs for just about everything else you need. install the Y
PPA Manager application, you can search on package names and the repos
will be automatically added and then you should be able to install via
apt or synaptic.

Helge

Dec 28, 2011, 2:57:28 AM12/28/11
to Frescobaldi

On 26 Dez., 11:07, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Dear LilyPond-lovers,
>
> After 14 months of very heavy development I am happy to announce
> Frescobaldi 2.0, which is a full rewrite of Frescobaldi 1.x and not
> dependend on KDE anymore, which makes it usable on all platforms
> supported by Python and PyQt4.

Well I tried to run it on Windows 7 (64bit). I had a Python 2.7 (32
bit) already installed in C:\Python27. So I used the installation
instruction on http://www.frescobaldi.org/download:
- installed PyQt-Py2.7-x86-gpl-4.9-1.exe to C:\Python27
- installed frescobaldi-2.0.0.win32.exe to C:\Python27
- there is no installer for python-poppler-qt4-0.16.2.tar.gz. So I put
a copy to C:\Python27

The Frescobaldi installer created a shortcut in the start menu. But
when I click on it nothing is visible. The shortcut command is:
C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\Python27\Scripts\frescobaldi
When I start it, nothing is visible. When I start
C:\Python27\python.exe C:\Python27\Scripts\frescobaldi
I get this output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\Scripts\frescobaldi", line 3, in <module>
import frescobaldi_app.main
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\main.py", line
114, in <module>
startmain()
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\main.py", line
61, in startmain
help=_("Encoding to use"))
File "C:\Python27\lib\optparse.py", line 1018, in add_option
raise TypeError, "invalid arguments"
TypeError: invalid arguments

I am not a Python programmer. Sorry for being unable to complete the
installation of poppler. Can you help to make Frescobaldi working for
a Python dummy on Windows?

Some additional questions:
* There is no win64 installer of Frescobaldi. Is it a good choice to
use a 32 bit version of Python and PyQt?
* PyQt offers a lot of options. Do I have to install everything of
does Frescobaldi needs only a small subset?

Best regards,
Helge

Helge

Dec 28, 2011, 3:35:26 AM12/28/11
to Frescobaldi
On 28 Dez., 08:57, Helge <helge.kr...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python27\Scripts\frescobaldi", line 3, in <module>
>     import frescobaldi_app.main
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\main.py", line
> 114, in <module>
>     startmain()
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\main.py", line
> 61, in startmain
>     help=_("Encoding to use"))
>   File "C:\Python27\lib\optparse.py", line 1018, in add_option
>     raise TypeError, "invalid arguments"
> TypeError: invalid arguments

Some more details: I used the pdb to single step the initialization.
start_main creates an Optionparser and calls the method add_option('-
e', '--encoding', ...).
The method add_option checks the type of args[0] and the check

if type(args[0]) is types.StringType:

failes. The type of args[0] is:

(Pdb) p type(args[0])
<type 'unicode'>
(Pdb)

But types.StringType is 'str' not 'unicode'. I don't know, if I can
convince Python to run in non-unicode mode if possible at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Helge

Stefan Thomas

Dec 28, 2011, 4:39:10 AM12/28/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Dear community,
is there  installation-script or a debian package available?
And (this would be the most important thing for me) is there an alternative availabe for rumor for typing notes via midi-keyboard?

2011/12/28 Helge <helge...@googlemail.com>

Helge

--
Frescobaldi homepage: http://www.frescobaldi.org/

Federico Bruni

Dec 28, 2011, 4:53:37 AM12/28/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
2011/12/28 Stefan Thomas <kontrapu...@googlemail.com>:

> Dear community,
> is there  installation-script or a debian package available?
> And (this would be the most important thing for me) is there an alternative
> availabe for rumor for typing notes via midi-keyboard?

The Debian packager is subsribed to this list and he's working on it:
http://groups.google.com/group/frescobaldi/browse_thread/thread/a600b674b05b0114/c4ffbef802784a2c?lnk=gst&q=debian+unstable#c4ffbef802784a2c

Maybe he could announce here when the two packages (frescobaldi and
python-poppler-qt4) are uploaded to unstable.
Otherwise, we can check here:

http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&keywords=frescobaldi

Wilbert Berendsen

Dec 28, 2011, 5:51:37 AM12/28/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Op Wed, 28 Dec 2011 00:35:26 -0800 (PST)
Helge <helge...@googlemail.com> schreef:

> But types.StringType is 'str' not 'unicode'. I don't know, if I can
> convince Python to run in non-unicode mode if possible at all.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

This is a bug in early Python 2.7.1, it should be fixed in current 2.7
releases!

So upgrading Python should help.

--
Wilbert Berendsen
(http://www.wilbertberendsen.nl)

Helge

Dec 28, 2011, 7:08:12 AM12/28/11
to Frescobaldi
On 28 Dez., 11:51, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> This is a bug in early Python 2.7.1, it should be fixed in current 2.7
> releases!
>
> So upgrading Python should help.

Yes, an reinstallation of Python, PyQt and Frescobaldi gives me a
Frescobaldi main window. Lilypond runs out-of-the-box. I suggest
updating the information on http://www.frescobaldi.org/download.

I would also use the PDF preview und the MIDI inside Frescobaldi. I
unzip the python-poppler-qt4-0.16.2 to a directory and read INSTALL.
The first step failed:

C:\Temp\poppler\python-poppler-qt4-0.16.2>python setup.py build
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 29, in ?
import subprocess
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\lib
\python2.4\subprocess.py", line 352, in ?
import msvcrt
ImportError: No module named msvcrt

C:\Temp\poppler\python-poppler-qt4-0.16.2>

Well, this is obviously a problem with poppler and not with
Frescobaldi. But I am curious if I get Frescobaldi running on Windows.
Do you know how I can continue here?

Best regards,
Helge

Wilbert Berendsen

Dec 28, 2011, 2:07:41 PM12/28/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, helge...@googlemail.com
Op Wed, 28 Dec 2011 04:08:12 -0800 (PST)
Helge <helge...@googlemail.com> schreef:

> C:\Temp\poppler\python-poppler-qt4-0.16.2>python setup.py build

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "setup.py", line 29, in ?
> import subprocess
> File "C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\lib
> \python2.4\subprocess.py", line 352, in ?
> import msvcrt
> ImportError: No module named msvcrt
>
> C:\Temp\poppler\python-poppler-qt4-0.16.2>

It seems Python 2.4 (which is included with LilyPond) is used instead
of the one Frescobaldi is using.

So use:

c:\Python27\python setup.py build

You need a C compiler.

But instead of the source package for python-poppler-qt4 you can also
use one of the experimental binary packages created by another user of
the python-poppler-qt4 module, see:
http://code.google.com/p/python-poppler-qt4/issues/detail?id=5

They are mentioned in comment #3.

Install the .exe or .msi and then also add the directory C:\Python27 to
the PATH, so the poppler-qt4.dll is found.

Pianopenguin

Dec 28, 2011, 4:10:23 PM12/28/11
to Frescobaldi
Thanks for this great news.

I've made a little presentation in French of the version 2 on my blog
http://www.pianopenguin.net/index.php?post/2011/12/20/Frescobaldi-2
(published on Ubuntu Planet and Planet Libre too).

I've a little suggestion for next release. It would be interesting to
improve the search/replace system with by example an option to apply
the replace function only on selection.

Regards,

Chris

On 26 déc, 11:07, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Dear LilyPond-lovers,
>
> After 14 months of very heavy development I am happy to announce
> Frescobaldi 2.0, which is a full rewrite of Frescobaldi 1.x and not
> dependend on KDE anymore, which makes it usable on all platforms
> supported by Python and PyQt4.
>
> Most well-known features of the 1.x line are there and some new as
> well: the built-in MIDI player, two-way point and click, and smart
> snippets/templates that can also contain Python scripts. Missing is
> Rumor support but native MIDI input and import is planned.
>
> Get it viahttp://www.frescobaldi.org/, which on its Download page also

Wilbert Berendsen

Dec 28, 2011, 5:42:21 PM12/28/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, cric...@jalmus.net
Op Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:10:23 -0800 (PST)
Pianopenguin <cric...@jalmus.net> schreef:

> I've made a little presentation in French of the version 2 on my blog
> http://www.pianopenguin.net/index.php?post/2011/12/20/Frescobaldi-2
> (published on Ubuntu Planet and Planet Libre too).

Nice!!

> I've a little suggestion for next release. It would be interesting to
> improve the search/replace system with by example an option to apply
> the replace function only on selection.

It is already possible!

Although the found places are highlighted everywhere, if a selection is
active, the 'replace all' button only applies to the selection!

I should make this more visible indeed :)

Ryan Kavanagh

Dec 28, 2011, 6:31:09 PM12/28/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:53:37AM +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Maybe he could announce here when the two packages (frescobaldi and
> python-poppler-qt4) are uploaded to unstable.

The two packages are ready and I'll upload them within the next couple
of days (I'm waiting for the Debian Accounts Manager to create my
account so that I can upload it myself, otherwise, I'd have to hunt down
a sponsor and it would take a few days to have it reviewed regardless).

Meanwhile, you can find the source and binary packages here[0]. Note
that the binary package for python-poppler-qt4 only exists for i386,
we'll have to wait until I upload to unstable for other architectures to
get compiled (unless someone would like to volunteer to build the
package on other architectures meanwhile).

Best wishes,
Ryan

[0] http://people.ubuntu.com/~ryanakca/frescobaldi_2.0/

--
|_)|_/ Ryan Kavanagh | GnuPG key
| \| \ http://ryanak.ca/ | 4A11C97A

signature.asc

Matthew Probst

Dec 28, 2011, 8:14:14 PM12/28/11
to Frescobaldi
I got this running on my work machine--Windows 7 64-bit, with 32-bit
Python 2.7.x installed, and with the Windows version of Poppler
installed from the link in the other message I posted to this list
earlier today. You don't need to compile it yourself on Windows,
there is a precompiled one available if you click on the Issues tab at
the qt-poppler project page.

Then, you have to make sure that c:\Python27 and c:\Python27\Scripts
are in your PATH.

Getting all that plus PyQT installed, then one can install Frescobaldi
on Windows with PDF preview.

At least, in theory. I'm having some troubles doing the supposedly
identical process on my home machine now. I'm guessing I just missed
some step and I'm going to uninstall my Python and the other libraries
and reinstall them from scratch, and see if I have better luck.

I do, though, know that it's possible, as it works great on my work
machine right now, with no need to install a compiler.

Matthew Probst

Dec 28, 2011, 9:43:00 PM12/28/11
to Frescobaldi
I see now why my home machine is not showing me the love.

My work machine already had PyQT 4.8.6 for Python 2.7 (x86) installed
on it. But as of a few days ago the latest version of PyQT available
from the main site is 4.9. Since the precompiled version of Poppler
mentioned above in this thread was compiled against 4.8.4, it needs to
be paired with a PyQT from the 4.8 series.

That's the only difference I can see between my home machine and my
work machine. It crashes when it tries to show a PDF preview, if you
run it with PyQT 4.9 installed; I don't have it installed at the
moment, so I can't post the message here.

I have been unable to find a version of 4.8.6 to install on my home
machine; the main site doesn't keep any older versions, and searching
for the name of the EXE file doesn't bring up any download links.
There's one site that has an installable PyQT 4.8.6

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pyqt

but that version of 4.8.6 doesn't work with the precompiled Poppler
either.

If anyone out there has been able to get things running by compiling
Poppler on Windows, I'd appreciate knowing how to set up my Python
install to do so. Or if anyone knows how to build a Windows python-
poppler-qt against the 4.9 branch of PyQT. Or if anyone has a copy of
the win32 installer for PyQT 4.8.6 from the main site archived
somewhere, that would also be a help.

Matthew Probst

Dec 28, 2011, 10:06:18 PM12/28/11
to Frescobaldi
I finally got this to run on my home machine, without any
compilation. Hopefully this is enough to tide over the Windows users
until such time as python-poppler-qt4 is compiled against PyQT 4.9.

What I did:

* Download and install Python 2.7.2 from the main Python site
* Download and install PyQT 4.8.6 for Python 2.7 (x86), from this
link:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pyqt

* Download and install python-poppler-qt4 from this link:

https://home.in.tum.de/~lorenzph/python-poppler-qt4/

* Add the following directories to the PATH, near the beginning of the
PATH. If there are
other Python interpreters on your system that come before these in
the PATH things might not
work:

c:\Python27
c:\Python27\Scripts
c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4

The last line is the key. Either this person's version of PyQT
4.8.6 installs these libraries in
a non-standard location, or the precompiled Poppler module doesn't
know to find the DLLs there.

* Download and install Frescobaldi from the main site.

After these steps, I have a working Frescobaldi on my home machine. I
hope that at some point the Poppler module is kept maintained against
the most recent PyQT modules, or alternatively, that an installer is
built that brings its version-specific dependencies along with it.
But for now this works.

Helge

Dec 29, 2011, 3:44:48 AM12/29/11
to Frescobaldi
On 28 Dez., 20:07, Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> It seems Python 2.4 (which is included with LilyPond) is used instead
> of the one Frescobaldi is using.
Silly me. I should have seen this before sending the mail.

Since this:
> You need a C compiler.
is not exactly the requirement but instead you need VS2008 (the
mscv9compiler.py insists to find it). I have only VS2005 so I tried
the pre-installed approached. This gave some other funny errors when
PDF files have been opened. [1]

Finally Matthew wrote a description about the version dependency of
the components this morning. This saved me the day. It finally works,
except MIDI.

Thanks for your patience,
Helge

[1]
Frescobaldi: 2.0.0Python: 2.7.2 -- Qt: 4.8.0 -- PyQt4: 4.9 -- sip:
4.13.1OS: Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\musicview
\__init__.py, line 102, in openDocument
self.widget().openDocument(doc)
File C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\musicview
\widget.py, line 111, in openDocument
self._links = pointandclick.links(document)
File C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\musicview
\pointandclick.py, line 62, in links
l = _cache[document] = Links(document)
File C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\frescobaldi_app\musicview
\pointandclick.py, line 82, in __init__
m = textedit_match(link.url())
TypeError: expected string or buffer

Richard Cognot

Dec 29, 2011, 5:33:32 AM12/29/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Matthew Probst a �crit :

> I finally got this to run on my home machine, without any
> compilation. Hopefully this is enough to tide over the Windows users
> until such time as python-poppler-qt4 is compiled against PyQT 4.9.
>
> What I did:
>
> * Download and install Python 2.7.2 from the main Python site
> * Download and install PyQT 4.8.6 for Python 2.7 (x86), from this
> link:
>
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pyqt
>
> * Download and install python-poppler-qt4 from this link:
>
> https://home.in.tum.de/~lorenzph/python-poppler-qt4/

[...]

Wilbert, given the difficulties for people on windows to gather the
various prequisites to run frescobaldi it would probably be a good idea
to have them distributed from your site as a last resort.

Or play with one of the various python exe generator out there...

Regards,
Richard.

Luca Rossetto Casel

Dec 29, 2011, 7:08:14 AM12/29/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Il 29/12/2011 00:31, Ryan Kavanagh ha scritto:
> The two packages are ready and I'll upload them within the next couple
> of days (I'm waiting for the Debian Accounts Manager to create my
> account so that I can upload it myself, otherwise, I'd have to hunt
> down a sponsor and it would take a few days to have it reviewed
> regardless).

Dear Ryan,

please, could you eventually upload the packages on Launchpad? And,
if I can ask, for 64 bit architectures too? :-) I'm now using Ubuntu
11.11 Oneiric Ocelot.

Thank you!!!

Luca

Sponsor:
Conto Arancio al 4,20%. Soldi sempre disponibili, zero spese, aprilo in due minuti!
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=11920&d=29-12

Ryan Kavanagh

Dec 29, 2011, 12:56:03 PM12/29/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luca,

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 01:08:14PM +0100, Luca Rossetto Casel wrote:
> please, could you eventually upload the packages on Launchpad?
> And, if I can ask, for 64 bit architectures too? :-) I'm now using
> Ubuntu 11.11 Oneiric Ocelot.

Of course, they're in ppa:ryanakca/frescobaldi and are available for
Oneiric and Natty. You can track build progress across architectures
here[0].

Best wishes,
Ryan

[0] https://launchpad.net/~ryanakca/+archive/frescobaldi

signature.asc

Matthew Probst

Dec 29, 2011, 1:12:58 PM12/29/11
to Frescobaldi
I do have a copy of all these files stashed away. I could provide
them on request, unless/until they're hosted elsewhere. That access
would probably be through a username/password distributed here. I
don't mind if a few hundreds of people download from there, the files
are small. I just don't want it crawled and to get a massive increase
in traffic there, so I'd want to keep it to people on this list.

My long-term goal is to see a Windows installer that includes all the
prerequisites. There are two approaches that one can take--
integrating it with the system Python install, or creating a self-
contained directory with all prerequisites included.

I see the advantage of integrating with system Python, but that can
only be done if the dependency on PyQT 4.8 branch is eliminated, by
compiling the Poppler library against the newer PyQT. That would have
to be a continuous effort, to keep them in sync with each other as the
various libraries increase in version number. It might be easier at
first to just create a self-contained package. In that case I
wouldn't mind so much if an old PyQT and Poppler library are used on
Windows, as long as they're accessed from inside the self-contained
package instead of the system Python. The point being that I'd love
to have my system Python up to date with the latest PyQT, but can't
easily do that right now if I want to use Frescobaldi.

I have a bit of time and attention to direct towards creating this;
I'm a decent Python programmer, though most of my experience is on
Linux I do have a reasonable amount of experience with Windows. If
there are already efforts under way to do this, I'd hate to duplicate
efforts, but I'm willing to contribute to the cause independently or
collaboratively.

Richard Cognot

Dec 29, 2011, 3:45:53 PM12/29/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Matthew Probst a �crit :

> I do have a copy of all these files stashed away. I could provide
> them on request, unless/until they're hosted elsewhere. That access
> would probably be through a username/password distributed here. I
> don't mind if a few hundreds of people download from there, the files
> are small. I just don't want it crawled and to get a massive increase
> in traffic there, so I'd want to keep it to people on this list.

In a longer term having those available alongside frescobaldi itself is
probably a better idea. We *do* want other people using it don't we? ;)

> My long-term goal is to see a Windows installer that includes all the
> prerequisites. There are two approaches that one can take--
> integrating it with the system Python install, or creating a self-
> contained directory with all prerequisites included.
>
> I see the advantage of integrating with system Python, but that can
> only be done if the dependency on PyQT 4.8 branch is eliminated, by
> compiling the Poppler library against the newer PyQT. That would have
> to be a continuous effort, to keep them in sync with each other as the
> various libraries increase in version number.

The trouble is, there is no such thing as "the system python" on
Windows. So keeping track of various versions of python, PyQt and
popplerqt4, is going to be a nightmare.

I would vote for a self-contained package (or a python executable from
py2exe or pyinstall) anytime just to avoid the hassle. And let the
adventurous use the current package and deal with the dependencies
themselves.

Remember, your average Windows user usually expects things to work out
of the box, and usually have less means to correct an error (most
windows users will not have a compiler, and most would not know how to
use one either...).

In my case: I can do almost anything on Linux, be that installing,
compiling, debugging, packaging if needed, but on windows my capacity is
limited by the fact this is my home machine, used for mail, document
editing, gaming and little else. I do have eclipse and a python dev env
installed, but that's as far as it will get.

> It might be easier at
> first to just create a self-contained package. In that case I
> wouldn't mind so much if an old PyQT and Poppler library are used on
> Windows, as long as they're accessed from inside the self-contained
> package instead of the system Python. The point being that I'd love
> to have my system Python up to date with the latest PyQT, but can't
> easily do that right now if I want to use Frescobaldi.

From a maintainability point of view it also reduces the number of
divergent installations out there, making it easier to track down any
issue...

Regards,
Richard.

Luca Rossetto Casel

Dec 29, 2011, 6:22:30 PM12/29/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Il 29/12/2011 18:56, Ryan Kavanagh ha scritto:
> Hi Luca,
>
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 01:08:14PM +0100, Luca Rossetto Casel wrote:
>> please, could you eventually upload the packages on Launchpad?
>> [...]

> Of course, they're in ppa:ryanakca/frescobaldi and are available for
> Oneiric and Natty. [...]
Thank you very much! Everything works fine out-of-the box; I only had to
install libportmidy0 and python-pypm in order to play MIDI file.

Wilbert, Frescobaldi 2 is a great piece of software! Thanks!

Best whishes,

Luca

Sponsor:
Conto Arancio al 4,20%. Soldi sempre disponibili, zero spese, aprilo in due minuti!

Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=11920&d=30-12

Matthew Probst

Dec 29, 2011, 7:03:28 PM12/29/11
to Frescobaldi
> In a longer term having those available alongside frescobaldi itself is
> probably a better idea. We *do* want other people using it don't we? ;)

Which is why I mentioned it as a temporary state of affairs. I'd be
glad to see those files hosted alongside Frescobaldi. Until that
happens, I've got copies.

> The trouble is, there is no such thing as "the system python" on
> Windows. So keeping track of various versions of python, PyQt and
> popplerqt4, is going to be a nightmare.

There is in one sense--the copy of Python installed in c:\PythonXX has
a registry entry associated with it, which lots of Python package
installers use to determine where to put themselves. There isn't a
system python in the sense of "included with the OS" but there is in
the sense of "the default install of official Python referenced by the
registry". One can very well install multiple Python versions on
Windows, but one has to explicitly use paths to them or rename the
interpreters to avoid conflicts. The supported install is a single
version of Python in c:\PythonXX where XX is the version number sans
'.'.

On the one hand, having self-contained packages with their own copies
of the complete Python language and required libraries is easier. On
the other hand it isolates each program using Python in its own little
island. I don't like that state of affairs, but unfortunately it
seems to be the most convenient on Windows.

> Remember, your average Windows user usually expects things to work out
> of the box, and usually have less means to correct an error (most
> windows users will not have a compiler, and most would not know how to
> use one either...).

Well aware of this.

> >   It might be easier at
> > first to just create a self-contained package.  In that case I
> > wouldn't mind so much if an old PyQT and Poppler library are used on
> > Windows, as long as they're accessed from inside the self-contained
> > package instead of the system Python.  The point being that I'd love
> > to have my system Python up to date with the latest PyQT, but can't
> > easily do that right now if I want to use Frescobaldi.
>
>  From a maintainability point of view it also reduces the number of
> divergent installations out there, making it easier to track down any
> issue...

Yes. That's what I'll pursue, then.

Wilbert Berendsen

Dec 30, 2011, 2:16:18 AM12/30/11
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Op Thu, 29 Dec 2011 00:44:48 -0800 (PST)
Helge <helge...@googlemail.com> schreef:

> TypeError: expected string or buffer

This seems to occur in the most recent PyQt4/sip versions
in python-poppler-qt4 (PyQt 4.9 and sip 4.13) both linux and windows.

I must debug this!

Wilbert Berendsen

Jan 1, 2012, 8:20:20 AM1/1/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com, cog...@gocad.org
Friends,

I think for a Windows installer py2exe (py2exe.org) is the way to go.

Some issues must be resolved, but then py2exe can assemble one directory
that contains Python, PyQt4, Poppler and PortMIDI.

Main things that need to be sorted out:
- frescobaldi_app should not be zipped or put in the .exe as it
contains data files and I don't really want to change that, because
they are also accessed via the Qt resource dirs, which works simple
and fast.
- carefully check that all needed Python library modules are there
- Using Inno or NSIS a simple installer then should be created that
install all of Frescobaldi in one go.

So the py2exe building class should probably be subclassed, because by
default py2exe dumps everything either in the .exe or in a library.zip.
Or all modules must be copied to dist manually before calling the
NSIS/Inno installer and set to be ignored by py2exe.

Anyhow, there will be a route.

flup

Jan 1, 2012, 4:53:14 PM1/1/12
to Frescobaldi
I guess such a solution for the Mac would be py2app, except the fact
that under OS X, apps are a bundle of files and directories; files
within the bundle are still accessible, like any other file (lilypond
is a good example).

Philippe

Janek Warchoł

Jan 1, 2012, 5:30:46 PM1/1/12
to Wilbert Berendsen, fresc...@googlegroups.com
2011/12/26 Wilbert Berendsen <wbs...@xs4all.nl>:

> Dear LilyPond-lovers,
>
> After 14 months of very heavy development I am happy to announce
> Frescobaldi 2.0, which is a full rewrite of Frescobaldi 1.x and not
> dependend on KDE anymore, which makes it usable on all platforms
> supported by Python and PyQt4.

Thats a great christmas present, thank you!!
Have you considered creating an installer with bundled Python and
other dependancies? Technically unexperienced users might have
problems with installing them.

cheers,
Janek

Richard Cognot

Jan 2, 2012, 2:50:02 AM1/2/12
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Wilbert Berendsen a �crit :

> I think for a Windows installer py2exe (py2exe.org) is the way to go.

Or PyInstaller. Both of them are pretty similar, but pyinstaller has
also some support for MacOS.

> Some issues must be resolved, but then py2exe can assemble one directory
> that contains Python, PyQt4, Poppler and PortMIDI.
>
> Main things that need to be sorted out:
> - frescobaldi_app should not be zipped or put in the .exe as it
> contains data files and I don't really want to change that, because
> they are also accessed via the Qt resource dirs, which works simple
> and fast.

It all depends how these files are accessed from frescobaldi itself. If
it is not too much of a problem to have them accessed relative to the
exe path, then you can have the exe on one hand and a shadow version of
the source tree with the data files on the other. Or better, have a data
directory alongside the code and segragate source and data files.

Regards,
Richard.