contributing documentation

Mike Shine

Apr 14, 2021, 12:38:00 PM4/14/21
to Frescobaldi
Hello everyone,

I am interested in creating and contributing a Getting Started guide to Frescobaldi's documentation. My goal is to lower the barriers to entry for people who are interested in using Frescobaldi and Lilypond but might be intimidated by how different it is from traditional notation software. Is there someone I could connect with to discuss this, or should I just have at it myself and submit a pull request on GitHub when I've created a good first draft?

Thanks everyone,
Mike

Knute Snortum

Apr 14, 2021, 3:41:41 PM4/14/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
What things do you want to do differently from this documentation?

https://www.frescobaldi.org/uguide

--
Knute Snortum
> --
> Frescobaldi homepage: http://www.frescobaldi.org/

Mike Shine

Apr 14, 2021, 3:56:31 PM4/14/21
to Frescobaldi
I want to create a Getting Started/Tutorial for users who do not yet know the basics of Lilypond.

The Frescobaldi User Guide is perfectly sufficient for users who already understand how to use Lilypond, and the Lilypond Learning Manual is an outstanding, comprehensive reference document. However, the Frescobaldi guide doesn't teach new users Lilypond (which is fine; that is not its purpose), and the Lilypond Learning Manual is quite dense for users who just want to get started (which again is fine; reference docs and tutorials are completely different documents). My plan is to write a tutorial, which provides an intentional step-by-step sequential approach.

Perhaps this document would be better suited for the Lilypond documentation? I considered floating this idea in that community but decided even though it involves both Lilypond and Frescobaldi it might be more appropriate here.

Eef Weenink

Apr 14, 2021, 4:23:17 PM4/14/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
What do you think about videos like these: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHi8BvxILUV6x9FqEmZiYrEj6VMGmTKjt

Met vriendelijke groet, Eef

H.E. Weenink MBA

Op 14 apr. 2021 om 21:56 heeft Mike Shine <sorrythisuserna...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

I want to create a Getting Started/Tutorial for users who do not yet know the basics of Lilypond.

Federico Bruni

Apr 14, 2021, 4:30:35 PM4/14/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike

I think that such a tutorial would be extremely useful for new users.
In my opinion it should not be part of Frescobaldi user guide. The best
place is probably some website. lilypondblog.org is currently dead..
frescobaldi.org needs a rewrite (see github issues).. lilypond.org
might be a good candidate. I guess you want to write something more
detailed and "practical" than this introduction:
http://lilypond.org/text-input.html

Another place, at least for writing a draft and share it, could be the
Frescobaldi github wiki.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/frescobaldi/74a7a1b7-c540-4da6-bd11-d28842b78de0n%40googlegroups.com.

Mike Shine

Apr 14, 2021, 4:46:14 PM4/14/21
to Frescobaldi
@aris - I think tutorial videos are fine, and they definitely have their place! Personally, I prefer documentation, because to me the problem with videos is that you are forced to go the speed of the presenter, whereas in documents you can use your time more efficiently. It is great that the videos are there for those who prefer them, though.

@fede- Thank you for your comment, the more I think about it the more I agree with you. Frescobaldi docs/user guide is not the place for the docs I want to write. I think what I will do is write it up first, and then explore the options you have listed as a means to publicize it to interested people. I do like http://lilypond.org/text-input.html, but it strikes me more as "fun facts about Lilypond" than a structured approach to learning.

Thank you everyone!