Anyone else having problems getting Lilypond->Engrave to work on Windows 10?

mat...@yak.org

May 14, 2020, 5:07:02 PM5/14/20
to Frescobaldi
I've tried Frescobaldi 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 and in neither one does a valid score let me engrave with a simple control-M (or selecting Lilypond-:>Engrave (Preview) from the menu) after the first time it works.  I have to go to Engrave (custom) even if I leave it default to do a preview engrave, then it works.

This means that the auto-engrave and such don't work right either, which makes Frescobaldi less pleasant to use for me.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Knute Snortum

May 14, 2020, 11:08:29 PM5/14/20
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I understand.  I press Ctrl-M in Frescobaldi and it engraves just fine.  What are the exact steps you do that cause the problem?

---
Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)

--
Frescobaldi homepage: http://www.frescobaldi.org/

Matthew Probst

May 15, 2020, 2:03:20 AM5/15/20
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
This is what I do to trigger the "control-M doesn't engrave" problem:

* Install Frescobaldi 3.1.2.

* Create a document in Frescobaldi like the following:

\version "2.20.0"

\relative c' {
    c4 d4 e4 f4 g4 a4 b4 c4 d4
}

(I've tried with 2.18.2, the installed default, as well, changing the above \version)

* Save it as "testing.ly"

* Type control-M.  Nothing happens.

* Type shift-control-M.  THe dialog comes up to choose custom engrave options.

* Click on "Run Lilypond".  Now Lilypond runs, I see progress in the log pane that pops up under the log pane.  The results show up in the viewer.

When typing control-M. I never see activity in a log pane.  The log pane never pops up at all until I do a shift-control-M and select "Run Lilypond".  After the log pane is visible after doing this, it doesn't show activity when I afterwards type control-M.

Selecting "Engrave (preview)" from the Lilypond menu with the mouse behaves the same as typing control-M.

It's not too bad to have an extra keystroke to engrave with the custom engrave popup (control-shift-M then enter) but the auto-engraver is attached to whatever happens when you type control-M, so that doesn't work for me.  I like using the auto-engraver ("Automatic Engrave" checked on the LilyPond menu).

I've done some 25-30 intermediate complexity scores with different versions of Lilypond and different versions of Frescobaldi, so I'm reasonably familiar with Frescobaldi, and I think I'm right to expect that control-M engrave the current, saved Lilypond document, that compiles without errors when I do "Engrave (custom)" with shift-control-M.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Frescobaldi" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/frescobaldi/CALmeJxTMnKvC39yqpwkco2m9Hn5Kp3211vjkaOoJ-DU7GP%3DOEw%40mail.gmail.com.
testing.ly

Matthew Probst

May 15, 2020, 2:07:11 AM5/15/20
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Uninstalling Frescobaldi 3.1.2 and reinstalling Frescobaldi 3.0, control-M works to engrave, and "Automatic Engrave" works.

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:08 PM Knute Snortum <ksno...@gmail.com> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Frescobaldi" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/frescobaldi/CALmeJxTMnKvC39yqpwkco2m9Hn5Kp3211vjkaOoJ-DU7GP%3DOEw%40mail.gmail.com.

Knute Snortum

May 15, 2020, 12:11:44 PM5/15/20
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
All I can say is it works for me in Windows and Linux.

---
Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)