how to not specify MIDI instrument?

Tom Sgouros

Aug 28, 2021, 8:54:49 AM8/28/21
to Frescobaldi
Hello all:

Is it possible to have Frescobaldi use whatever instrument is selected on my keyboard instead of asserting its choice of piano sounds?

I have a Lilypond file that does not specify a MIDI instrument, but Frescobaldi seems to insist on using the piano sound I like least on my keyboard. Is there a way to just have it send notes and not ProgramChange messages? Or some hack to get finer control of those messages?

Thank you,

 -Tom

Knute Snortum

Aug 28, 2021, 10:16:19 AM8/28/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure this is a Frescobaldi issue as much as a LIlyPond issue.  See:

--
Frescobaldi homepage: http://www.frescobaldi.org/

Tom Sgouros

Aug 28, 2021, 11:28:40 AM8/28/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
They tell me over on the Lilypond list that if I don't specify a MIDI instrument, that no Program Change event is generated. I can't seem to figure out how to take a MIDI file and export the events in it in a human-readable format, so I can't really confirm that, but I've played the file on another MIDI device and it didn't seem to care what instrument I set it on.

Thanks,

 -Tom

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Frescobaldi" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/frescobaldi/CALmeJxRmi4xQTC%2B9piadWAnZt3cUOmBMEdSBjhGn%3DcQh2WMsvw%40mail.gmail.com.

Tom Sgouros

Aug 28, 2021, 6:52:58 PM8/28/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
I have confirmed that there is no midi instrument specification (Program Change event) in the Midi file that Lilypond generates. Is there a way to keep Frescobaldi from asserting one?

Thanks,

 -Tom

Raphaël Doursenaud

Sep 5, 2021, 9:44:14 PM9/5/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com

Wilbert Berendsen

Sep 12, 2021, 1:39:14 AM9/12/21
to fresc...@googlegroups.com
Op Mon, 6 Sep 2021 03:43:36 +0200
Raphaël Doursenaud <rdour...@free.fr> schreef:
Ah, I implemented that because it seems common. But I can change that,
or make it configurable. Added the issue as

https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/1392

Thanks!

--
Wilbert Berendsen (www.wilbertberendsen.nl)