a simple production model

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 2:05:22 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users
I am trying to understand the functions of frePPLe since I would like
to use it as a help for my current manufacturing process. I work in a
small fab with 6 peoples and 12 different machines. the daily
production planing in excel is not really helping.

I made a model of the problems:

Project PPL (Q: Question/Worktask)

Q1) Customer: C: C1
Q2) Pruduct: P: P1,P2
Q3) Demand/Order D: D1(C1,P1, 1000pcs) priority 1,
D2(C1,P2, 2000pcs) priority 2,
D3(C1,P1, 2000pcs) priority 3,
Q4) Operators O: O1, O2
Q5) Machines M: M1, M2, M3, M4, M5
Q6) Processflow F:
F.P1=R1.P1->R2.P1->R3.P1->R4.P1
F.P2=R1.P2->R2.P2->R3.P2->R4.P2

Q7) pRocesses R1.P1=M1+O1
R2.P1=M2+(O1,02)
R3.P1=(M3,M4)+O2
R4.P1= --
R1.P2=M1+O1
R2.P2=M2+(O1,02)
R3.P2=(M3,M4)+O2
R4.P2= --
R3.P1=(M3,M4)+O2 : (machine M3 or M4 needed) und (operator O2
needed)

Q8) Troughput R1.P1: su=60' p=100pcs/h sd=10'
R2.P1: su=10' p=200pcs/h sd=10'
R3.P1: su=10' p=300pcs/h sd=10'
R4.P1: su=10' p=5h sd=10'
R1.P2: su=60' p=100pcs/h sd=10'
R2.P2: su=10' p=200pcs/h sd=10'
R3.P2: su=10' p=300pcs/h sd=10'
R4.P2: su=5' p=5h sd=5'
su: setup
p: process
sd: setdown

Q9) between start.R1.P1 und start.R2.P1 there must not be a time
longer then 48h

Q10) work start at 8am. All machines has to undergo setup. Work stop
at 5pm. All machines has to undergo setdown before this.

Q11) Saturadys and Sundays are days off

Q12) D1 started yesterday, D2 can start today, D3 can start tomorrow

Q13) production happens only in batch. On process step has to be
completed before the next one can start

Q14) when can I ship D1 out, when can I ship D2 out, when can I ship
D3 out

now I will tray to solve all the 14 questions... help is welcome...

Daniel

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 2:09:34 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users
Q1 is a simple case:

->Home->Customers->Add

@@
Name: C1
Category: Asia
Subcategory: Singapore
Owner:

->save

DONE

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 2:37:32 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users
Q4 and Q5 are the same problems: Machines and Operators are resources

->Home->Resources->Add
O1, O2, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5

Johan De Taeye

Dec 18, 2010, 3:17:18 AM12/18/10
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
A nice and structured approach...
I see an opposite approach all too often.

Let me comment on some tricky parts.

>>Q9) between start.R1.P1 und start.R2.P1 there must not be a time longer then 48h

Set a the marearly field for resource R2 for this.
This value will be applied for all jobs on that resource, ie not only P1.

>>Q10) work start at 8am. All machines has to undergo setup. Work stop at 5pm. All machines has to undergo setdown before this.

Since your setups seem to be fixed tasks and don't depend on the
switch from product P1 to P2, the setup feature in frePPLe is NOT what
you need.
You'll need to include the setup time as part of the operation time.

Regards,

Johan

2010/12/18 Daniel Studzinski <daniel.s...@gmail.com>:

--
Johan De Taeye
Mob: +32 477 385 362

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 4:10:35 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users
hi Johan,

thanks for comments. I will come to this back when I will dig on this
items soon ;)

Q2) products are items in frePPLe

->Home->Items->Add

P1, P1

I got here an idea to build up a process flow based on this Items

Name Owner
P1
R1.P1 R2.P1
R2.P1 R3.P1
R3.P1 R4.P1
R4.P1 P1
P2
R1.P2 R2.P2
R2.P2 R3.P2
R3.P2 R4.P2
R4.P2 P2

all this fed as items into frePPLe

daniel

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 4:27:10 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users
well on the Demand (Q3) frePPLe makes the live very easy:

->Home->Demands->Add

@@
Name: D1
Item: P1
Customer: C1
Due date: 25.Dec
Quantity: 1000

->save

like above with D2 and D3.

this point fits to my life as nothing before.

now this tricky part start:

R1.P1=M1+O1...

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 5:06:55 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users

> R1.P1=M1+O1...

I think I have to start with different approach: R1.P1->R2.P1
this is an Operation. I call this step: "Operation: R1.P1->R2.P1"

Home->Operations->Add
@@
Type: time_per
Planning parameters:
Fence: 10days
Pretime: 60 min (su)
Posttime 10min (sd)
Duration per: 36 sec (p)

->save

Home->Buffers->Add
@@
Name: Buffer.R2.P1
Item: R1.P2
Planning parameters:
Type: Infinite

->safe

Home->Load->Add
@@
Operation: Operation: R1.P1->R2.P1
Resource: M1
Quantity: 1
Name: R1.P1<-M1

->safe

Home->Flows->Add
@@
Operation: Operation: R1.P1->R2.P1
Buffer: Buffer.R2.P1
Quantity: 1
Name: Production R2.P1

->safe

now I need digest all this to understand what I actually did and how
mach it helps me...

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 5:15:28 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users
Added one more... still not sure how this ends...

Load List
Operation Resource Quantity Name
Operation: R1.P1->R2.P1 M1 1 R1.P1<-M10
Operation: R1.P1->R2.P1 O1 1 R1.P1<-O1

I hope I explained now to frePPLe that in order to produce R2.P1 I
need M1 AND O1

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 18, 2010, 6:05:18 AM12/18/10
to frePPLe users
Status
* Q1 -- Q5 DONE
* Q6 Probably solved by Items Owner
* Q8 Done or can be done with "Operations" and "Process parameters"

* Q7 Stuck. by now I have no clue how to explain my Machine Matrix and
Skill Matrix to frePPLe

* Q9 -- Q14 no touched.

so. 7pm in my Singapore office so I leave it better and look for my
lovely wife...

Johan De Taeye

Dec 18, 2010, 6:30:50 AM12/18/10
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
>>* Q6 Probably solved by Items Owner

F.P1 should an operation of type "routing". It has 4 sub-operations as steps.

>>* Q7 Stuck. by now I have no clue how to explain my Machine Matrix and Skill Matrix to frePPLe

It's pretty straightforward to model these as loads in the model.
For "R2.P1=M2+(O1,02)" you create 3 records in the "load" table:
- a first one to specify M1.
- a second one to specify O1. Populate the "name" field with some
arbitrary name, set the "search" field to "PRIORITY" and set the
priority to "1"
- a third one to specify O2. Populate the "alternate" field with name
defined in the previous record, set the "search" field to "PRIORITY"
also and set priority to "2". This indicates that O2 is an alternate
of O1, but O1 is the preferred resource.

>>so. 7pm in my Singapore office so I leave it better and look for my lovely wife...

You bet!

Johan

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 19, 2010, 4:49:14 AM12/19/10
to frePPLe users

> F.P1 should an operation of type "routing".  It has 4 sub-operations as steps.
Done. works even looks even more elegant and don't create so many
different Items.
on the another hand I will probably need for the real product a sub-
and sub-sub-Item for most of my products.
is a strange policy were the Article change the Article number by
changing to different cost center. it make a point for a small family
of products were the sub-sub-Item can be used for different Items, but
from the exception a rule was created.

> It's pretty straightforward to model these as loads in the model.
> For "R2.P1=M2+(O1,02)" you create 3 records in the "load" table:
> - a first one to specify M1.
> - a second one to specify O1.  Populate the "name" field with some
> arbitrary name, set the "search" field to "PRIORITY" and set the
> priority to "1"
> - a third one to specify O2. Populate the "alternate" field with name
> defined in the previous record, set the "search" field to "PRIORITY"
> also and set priority to "2".  This indicates that O2 is an alternate
> of O1, but O1 is the preferred resource.

this was easy... now I can model the products and demands...

now back to Q9)...
> Set a the marearly field for resource R2 for this.
> This value will be applied for all jobs on that resource, ie not only P1.

I created now a resource R2 with Maxearly: 48h.
"Time window before the ask date where we look for available capacity"
I guess I need it now to be connected over the Load with the R1.P1 or
do I have to connect it with R2.P1?

Another point: in the Operation List there is a table were the Setup
and Setdown time is visible. how to make the Duration and Duration Per
in this list visible? its a critical numbers for production and a
overview for debugging is something precious.

Daniel

Johan De Taeye

Dec 19, 2010, 11:31:56 AM12/19/10
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
>> F.P1 should an operation of type "routing".  It has 4 sub-operations as steps.
> Done. works even looks even more elegant and don't create so many
> different Items.
> on the another hand I will probably need for the real product a sub-
> and sub-sub-Item for most of my products.
> is a strange policy were the Article change the Article number by
> changing to different cost center. it make a point for a small family
> of products were the sub-sub-Item can be used for different Items, but
> from the exception a rule was created.

In case you have common subassemblies that are shared across end
items, using seperate items and buffers is indeed required.

> Another point: in the Operation List there is a table were the Setup
> and Setdown time is visible. how to make the Duration and Duration Per
> in this list visible? its a critical numbers for production and a
> overview for debugging is something precious.

I added these fields - missed them...
This will be part of the next release, or you can look at the changes
at http://frepple.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/frepple?revision=1389&view=revision
and patch your install.

Regards,

Johan

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 19, 2010, 9:49:41 PM12/19/10
to frePPLe users
> I added these fields - missed them...
> This will be part of the next release, or you can look at the changes
> athttp://frepple.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/frepple?revision=1389&view=...
> and patch your install.

I replaced the 2 files on the PC-> restart of the PC-> Operations List
did not change. I set my local IT guy on this fix.

Now would be the time to take the concept of Calenders into
attention...
calender by itself don't make much sense but if you can combine the
Calender with a resource... Hallelujah!

* Machines are available 24h. the only down time for machines is the
case of maintenance. this mean I need a dummy Calender for every
Machine: M1.Cal, M2.Cal...

* for operators the situation looks different: first I will need a
calender that describes a normal working hours. the future in mind I
will call it: ShiftA.Cal. there will be probably a second calender in
the future ShiftB.Cal.
** ShiftA.Cal need to describe working hours from 8am to 5pm, Mo-Fr.
do I need to put for every day an entry in this calender or is there a
other way?
** it would be superb if I could implement in 5 lines something like
"repeat{(8am to 5pm, Mo-Fr)->(9am to 6pm, Mo-Fr)}"
** every Operator will need in addition to this his own private
Calender. in case there is on leave or he is on MC I will need to
enter this into his private calender:

actually in my case I need only a calender with Boolean values:
available, not available. I think in this case "1" means available,
"0" means not available.

I tried to find a way to put repeatable entries into the calender but
I cannot find a way. also I can combine only one calender with one
resource.
in case I have now to put for every one operator a daily calender
entry this will ends in huge data maintenance. there must be a way
around...

Daniel

johan de taeye

Dec 20, 2010, 1:46:52 AM12/20/10
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
>>* for operators the situation looks different: first I will need a
calendar that describes a normal working hours. the future in mind I will

call it: ShiftA.Cal. there will be probably a second calender in the future
ShiftB.Cal.

If you model the availability as resource calendars, an operationplan will
need to fit completely in a day, i.e. needs to start an stop on the same
day.
If you model the availability as an availability calendar on the location
where the operation is located, an operationplan started on day X will be
interrupted at 5pm and automatically continue the next day at 8am.

>>I tried to find a way to put repeatable entries into the calendar but I

cannot find a way. also I can combine only one calender with one resource.

>>in case I have now to put for every one operator a daily calendar entry

this will ends in huge data maintenance. there must be a way around...

You need an entry for each day indeed.
The code is structured to support such repeating entries at some point in
the future, but it's not ready yet.

A single record for each day is not too big of a maintenance headache : you
populate it once every year or so in an excel sheet and can easily upload
the result.

Johan

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 20, 2010, 3:59:26 AM12/20/10
to frePPLe users
from I understand now (correct me if I am wrong): "Calender" is a time
schedule what can be combined with a resource. "Calender bucket" is an
entry what change the Value inside of the calender.

now I found also a something like "Dates"

I need a help on this... what is used for what?

Johan De Taeye

Dec 20, 2010, 5:38:34 AM12/20/10
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
>>now I found also a something like "Dates"
>>I need a help on this... what is used for what?

This is used for the reporting in weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly
time buckets.
The default content will normally suffice, unless you want to your own
boundaries of the time buckets.

(BTW: this table is reworked in the upcoming 0.9.0 release)

Johan

Daniel Studzinski

Dec 20, 2010, 5:49:55 AM12/20/10
to frePPLe users

> A single record for each day is not too big of a maintenance headache : you
> populate it once every year or so in an excel sheet and can easily upload
> the result.

you are right... it is easier then I thought.

daniel

Daniel Studzinski

Jan 13, 2011, 8:03:05 AM1/13/11
to frePPLe users
we installed the patches but the problem did not disappear... I guess
I have to wait until the new release...

Daniel Studzinski

Jan 20, 2011, 8:06:41 AM1/20/11
to frePPLe users

Update: after my hospital break I got now 1st working Model were
frePPLe provide he delivery dates... it so exiting!

found a bug: in Items the button "Save" create a new Items instead to
modify the current one.

Question 1: in case I put now the items of my real fab into frePPLe,
how to explain the stations on which the items are currently. how to
make the day zero?
Question 2: fraPPLe provide a nice tool for planing. but how to modify
the plan in case the machine went down for no reasons 4h ago?

Daniel Studzinski

Jan 20, 2011, 9:30:31 AM1/20/11
to frePPLe users

> found a bug: in Items the button "Save" create a new Items instead to
> modify the current one.

the bug works in all other inputs if you change the name of the
"input".
in DB language: name seems to be the "key field".

Johan De Taeye

Jan 21, 2011, 2:26:08 AM1/21/11
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
> found a bug: in Items the button "Save" create a new Items instead to
> modify the current one.

This is the standard behavior of the Django framework. I found it a
bit counter-intuitive too, but haven't spent time yet in analyzing
and/or fixing it.

> Question 1: in case I put now the items of my real fab into frePPLe,
> how to explain the stations on which the items are currently. how to
> make the day zero?

The currrent work-in-progress needs to be fed into the operationplan
table - with the "locked" field set to true.

You can also feed this table with the part of the previous plan that
is "frozen". Eg workorders that are firmed up in your ERP and sent to
the shop floor for execution should be modeled as locked
operationplans in frePPLe.

> Question 2: fraPPLe provide a nice tool for planing. but how to modify
> the plan in case the machine went down for no reasons 4h ago?

Change the availability of the resource and rerun the plan. This will
recalculate the precise impact of the downtime.
Only the locked/frozen part of the plan will not be touched.

Regards,

Johan De Taeye

Jan 24, 2011, 7:45:20 AM1/24/11
to Daniel Studzinski, freppl...@googlegroups.com
>>Question: does mean frePPLe will save the work done in the past and do
>>not change it?
>>I assumed (maybe wrong) that if I ran planning again the demands will
>>be recalculated without any memory from the past.
>>does this mean the calculation will be done only for the future and
>>not for the past?

FrePPLe recomputes every time without remembering anything from the
previous run.

By copying some of the plan from the output table "out_operationplan"
into the input table "operationplan" you can make it remember. For
plan stability (ie avoid that the plan changes too much from day to
day) this is common practice and a good idea.
This copying from output to input is done standard in frePPLe - you'll
have to run some custom sql to achieve this.

Daniel Studzinski

Jan 26, 2011, 2:14:25 AM1/26/11
to frePPLe users

> By copying some of the plan from the output  table "out_operationplan"
> into the input table "operationplan" you can make it remember.  For
> plan stability (ie avoid that the plan changes too much from day to
> day) this is common practice and a good idea.
> This copying from output to input is done standard in frePPLe - you'll
> have to run some custom sql to achieve this.

can do thins by using Accsess or OpenOffice Base? SQL is not a problem
to me but for people who work for me.
I only do not know how to connect the frePPLe DB with one of the
software's. I will need some kind of frond end so my staff can use it.

Johan De Taeye

Jan 26, 2011, 3:22:55 AM1/26/11
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/26 Daniel Studzinski <daniel.s...@gmail.com>:

frePPLe supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and SQlite databases.

If you don't know which one you're using, you're most likely using the
SQLite database that is bundled with the Windows installer.
You can open the database files (with the extension .sqlite) with a
database frontend such as http://www.sqliteexpert.com/ (excellent and
highly recommended)

It would also possible to execute such SQL statements from a custom
extension of the frePPLe user interface.

Johan

Daniel Studzinski

Jan 27, 2011, 12:05:14 AM1/27/11
to frePPLe users
I was trying SQLittle Manager (Firefox Add-on) and SQLittleStudio.
however I get only a ReadOnly access to the DB.
to have an RW access is what I am trying to find a way...

I have an Server running with MySQL, but I cannot use them directly
for frePPLe: there is a WikiMedia runing on and this in incompatible
with frePPLe...
I need to check with my IT guy if I can use ODBC to go around this
problem...

Daniel Studzinski

Jan 27, 2011, 1:49:44 AM1/27/11
to frePPLe users
what I understood from the documentation on SQLite this is the
standard case: frePPLe as the program running in the background
reserves the RW access and all other programs who access on the DB get
RO access. I would need to switch off frePPle to be able to edit the
DB.

the way over MySQL and ODBC seems to be easier to me and for the
future more user friendly...

johan de taeye

Jan 27, 2011, 3:06:26 AM1/27/11
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
>>what I understood from the documentation on SQLite this is the standard
case: frePPLe as the program running in the
>>background reserves the RW access and all other programs who access on the
DB get RO access. I would need to switch off frePPle to be able to edit the
DB.

Correct.

>>the way over MySQL and ODBC seems to be easier to me and for the future
more user friendly...

The basic Windows installation using SQLite is NOT suitable for real
multi-user production environments. It's only suitable for a first look,
for training, for small single-user models, etc.
Real production use requires a different configuration with a separate
database and/or web server.
See also http://www.frepple.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Frepple/OverviewDjango

Johan

Jan 31, 2011, 6:03:40 AM1/31/11
to frePPLe users
MySQL is running on the PC.
installed by XAMPP. in the SQL console I can work as usual.

however, frepple can not connect with the MySQL...:

Aborting: Can't connect to the database
(2003, "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)")
Hit any key to continue...

settings.py:
# Django and frePPLe support the following database backends:
# 'oracle', 'postgresql_psycopg2', 'mysql' and 'sqlite3'.
DATABASES = {
'default': {
'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.mysql',
'NAME': 'mysql', # Database name
'USER': 'root', # Not used with sqlite3.
'PASSWORD': '***', # Not used with sqlite3.
'HOST': '', # Set to empty string for localhost. Not used with
sqlite3.
'PORT': '3306', # Set to empty string for default port number.
Not used with sqlite3.
'OPTIONS': {}, # Backend specific configuration parameters.
},
}

DEBUG = False # Show verbose description of errors
LANGUAGE_CODE = 'en-us' # Language for the user interface

I have no idea how to connect them...
I tried the same thing on 2 other PC... the same results. I am missing
a important step I guess...

johan de taeye

Jan 31, 2011, 9:19:14 AM1/31/11
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
This is the right file indeed to configure the database parameters.
Works for me...

If you run the following the command lines, does it work?
mysql --host=localhost --port=3306
mysql --host=localhost --port=3306 --user=root --password=xxx
--database=mysql
If it works, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for frePPLe.
If it doesn't, search google to fix that.

Frepple 0.8.1 comes packaged with the "MySQLdb" 1.2.2 driver for Python.
This driver is normally not very sensitive to the version of the MySQL
database or 32-bit/64-bit issues.

Johan

Jul 8, 2012, 6:54:09 PM7/8/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
model solved.
I relay needed to change my mindset to think like frePPLe and not like Excel sheet...

I can now see all my demands planed and inside the "Operation detail report". Gantt chart show me exact the planed tasks and I can see who has to perform them them...
exactly like a PPL supposed to do...

my task now is to freeze the operations...
a) in "Operation detail report" I cannot click the "locked" field
b) how to move the planed operations from "Operation detail report" to "operation plans" (or am I performing here an mistake to do so?)
c) and if I have now the tasks in "operation plans" (were I can lock and unlock them) how to edit/delete the task from here (let say production stop)

Johan De Taeye

Jul 9, 2012, 2:52:24 AM7/9/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

>>my task now is to freeze the operations...

>>a) in "Operation detail report" I cannot click the "locked" field

>>b) how to move the planed operations from "Operation detail report" to "operation plans" (or am I performing here an mistake to do so?)

>>c) and if I have now the tasks in "operation plans" (were I can lock and unlock them) how to edit/delete the task from here (let say production stop)

The results in the “operation detail” report are indeed non-editable. They are recomputed with each planning run, and thus any manual change would be lost with the next run.

They are stored in the database table “out_operationplan”.

The frozen operationplans you refer to in step b) represent the work-in-progress and frozen production plan. These are inputs to the plan.

They are stored in the database table “operationplan”.

There is no out-of-the-box data transfer between those tables.

-        In most cases the work-in-progress and the frozen production plan are imported from an external (ERP-)system, and NOT maintained in the frePPLe user interface.

-        In case you would want to maintain the frozen plan in frePPLe:
You’ll need an excel export+import that copies a portion of the plan between these tables. Which part of the plan you copy depends on the business.
If the freeze logic is clearly defined, it’s also easy to implement a “freeze plan” button or command that makes this task easier.

Johan

Jul 9, 2012, 4:22:35 AM7/9/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
in such a case an I need to manipulate the data by SQL... manual export/import would be to time consuming...

I put it back on my list when I install frePPLe on a machine with mySQL or PostgreSQL... nice MS Access front-end via ODBC and the life of the planer start to be enjoyable... ;)

Message has been deleted

Daniel Studzinski

Jul 9, 2012, 6:27:44 PM7/9/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com
itchy fingers... I needed to try it out...

calender with no interruptions...
one process "bake bread" 4h fixed with max 4 output.
demand is 40 breads on 2012-07-31 00:00:00.

so the work has to start on 2012-07-29 04:00:00 and repeated 10 times before the delivery can start.

I wanted to fix only the first bake on 2012-07-29 04:00:00. I went to Operation plan and put it inside by hand.
now I started the planing calculation again and... 2 things happen
1) he planed again baking the time of 2012-07-29 04:00:00 to 2012-07-29 08:00:00
2) frePPLe did not realize that with the "baking" in "operation plan" the only available resource is also not free

there is a way needed to frePPLe to see which parts of demands are frozen and with not. and frePPLe need to see the occupation of resources given by "Operation Plan" otherwise "Operation Plan" start to be a very dangerously misleading tool.

maybe I am am wrong... maybe I miss something...
operation detail report.jpg
operation plan.jpg

Johan De Taeye

Jul 10, 2012, 2:48:04 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

I see that in the input operationplan table you have not marked the operationplan as locked.

Locked operationplans are left untouched during a planning run.

All others get replanned.

Otherwise, looks ok what you’ve done & should work fine.

Johan

itchy fingers... I needed to try it out...

Johan De Taeye

Jul 10, 2012, 2:50:30 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

>>nice MS Access front-end via ODBC and the life of the planer start to be enjoyable... ;)

More people might be interested in this as well.
Would be nice if this could be added as a re-usable contribution.

Johan

in such a case an I need to manipulate the data by SQL... manual export/import would be to time consuming...

Message has been deleted

Daniel Studzinski

Jul 10, 2012, 3:42:07 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

More people might be interested in this as well.
Would be nice if this could be added as a re-usable contribution.

you can bet on this... I don't make money with software, I flow the waves of Richard Stallman...
I need only to make frePPLe to be usable for real life production... my Excel-Planing-Program (~8 pages VBA) need to be replaced ASAP and your program promises to to be much better then the crap my HQ forsed us to use 14 months ago and never ever worked well for even one day (costs: 55k EUR). in this time I lost 2 planers the last one stays only because my Excel-toy keep him fascinating...

by the way... are you OK to drop here a VBA module for the gantt chart? I have one done for my Excel-toy but I was going to modify it anyway soon for frePPLe... the advantage is you can see all you resources with all you runs on one sheet (with free choice of colors).

Daniel Studzinski

Jul 10, 2012, 4:03:22 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

I see that in the input operationplan table you have not marked the operationplan as locked.

Locked operationplans are left untouched during a planning run.

All others get replanned.

Oh... I see... but how can frePPLe know fow which Demand the Operationplan is reserved...
I need to think about.

I locked this time and let frePPle plan again... frePPLe reused this Operation for the planning. it market it as locked as well in the planing...

OK, the only think what bother me the fact that in the "Operationplan" I cannot tell frePPLe for which Demand I have reserved this particular Operation. and as such if another Demand want to reuse this Operation then only if it is belonging to the correct Demand...

Theoretically, I can have two products using the same resource and operation and in case I have already given one of them a OC and the another is still pending, I don't want the pending one to steal the resources from the confirmed one...  does it means I have now to play with priorities?

Johan De Taeye

Jul 10, 2012, 4:50:28 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

FrePPLe doesn’t freeze the allocation of supply to demand.  The pegging between supply and demand is dynamic and recomputed every time.

E.g. if an order is canceled, any frozen operationplans will be repegged to other open demands.

E.g. if an more urgent demand comes in, supply will be reallocated and yes, this can steal supply away from less urgent demands.

Who gets the first shot at consuming material and capacity is indeed controlled by the priorities.

Johan

I see that in the input operationplan table you have not marked the operationplan as locked.

Daniel Studzinski

Jul 10, 2012, 5:13:59 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

Who gets the first shot at consuming material and capacity is indeed controlled by the priorities.

works for me... but I need to increase the number of priorities... to around 100...
is this an option or I have to dig into the quell code?

Johan De Taeye

Jul 10, 2012, 5:39:55 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

>>works for me... but I need to increase the number of priorities... to around 100...

>>is this an option or I have to dig into the quell code?

Priority is the first criterion for sorting.

When there are multiple demands of the same priority, the due date works as a tie breaker. Earlier due date gets planned first.

You thus need only a different priority for a different *type of* demand or *type of* customer that you want give priority over another.

20 of such priorities should normally suffice.

If not sufficient, you can always remove the option “choices” from line 778 in the file input/models.py:

http://frepple.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/frepple/tags/0.9.1/contrib/django/freppledb/input/models.py?revision=1705&view=markup

The priority is then an integer field without predefined limit.

Johan

Who gets the first shot at consuming material and capacity is indeed controlled by the priorities.

Daniel Studzinski

Jul 10, 2012, 6:07:35 AM7/10/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

If not sufficient, you can always remove the option “choices” from line 778 in the file input/models.py:

http://frepple.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/frepple/tags/0.9.1/contrib/django/freppledb/input/models.py?revision=1705&view=markup

The priority is then an integer field without predefined limit.

Simply Superb!

the option with different "type of" I need to test to get the feeling how this work...
the priority works now better only because this is exactly the same way I did it my old Excel-Planing-Tool... so the feeling is already there.

Daniel Studzinski

Jul 11, 2012, 3:27:19 AM7/11/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

I setup a PC. install PostgreSQL. even created a DB "frePPLe". now I wanted to put frePPLe on top with the tables in PostgreSQL. but somhow frePPLe refuse to use this one. it uses iSQLite istead... user name, DB name, Port and passwords are OK, I even repeated this several times...

I must miss something..

Johan De Taeye

Jul 11, 2012, 4:09:08 AM7/11/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

Try these steps:

-        Check the file bin\custom\freppledb\settings refers correctly to the “postgresql_psycopg2” database engine in the parameter DATABASES. Review also database connection parameters in the same file, and correct if required.

-        Verify pgadmin can connect to the database with these parameters.

-        If you have multiple frepple installations on the machine, make sure the environment variable FREPPLE_HOME points to the correct folder.

-        Run the command to create the database structure. There should be a an error message in case things go wrong.
      cd bin
      .\manage.exe syncdb

Johan

Jul 11, 2012, 8:20:19 AM7/11/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

this was fun :)

PostgreSQL running
ODBC running
Access connected R/W to frePPLe DB

now the real fun can start...

my project: Front-End with ability to
a) move selected (!) demands from out_operationplan to operationplan
b) lock operations based of datum (you don't want to mess up the current production plan of today, is a nightmare; tomorrow is also a good day to do good deeds...)
c) and many other things I think to be useful...

is there a way to start the solver out of the browser?

Johan De Taeye

Jul 11, 2012, 8:57:41 AM7/11/12
to freppl...@googlegroups.com

>>is there a way to start the solver out of the browser?

Yes, you can.

Use the command line “manage.exe frepple_run” & check the documentation http://www.frepple.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UI/CommandLine

Please post specific questions with appropriate subject…

There are too many people on this list that are NOT interested in following a long mail thread “simple production model”.

A question on “how to run the solver outside browser” is more interesting for others.

Johan