Group Involvement/Project Idea

小慧

Apr 8, 2022, 4:28:50 PM4/8/22
to Fremont Greenways
Hello!

I recently got involved with SNG because of an accident I had along the Burke Gilman across Gasworks. As I'm going to be studying Spatial Planning and Transportation Engineering for grad school, I thought I'd get involved in the group in general as well, but I'm still thinking about ways to make that section of the Burke-Gilman safer for everyone.

I was riding my bike on my commute home at night when three people stepped onto the trail from the Regata apartments and tried to cross without looking or noticing my bike light. (I happened to be looking behind me at that moment thinking I heard someone trying to pass me.) The bushes at the front of those steps were about 6' tall at this point, as well, which hampered visibility for all parties involved. In any case, a collision occurred, and the resulting conversation was a bit shocking to me. The pedestrians were convinced that the sidewalk there was not part of the Burke Gilman trail, that it was just a sidewalk, and a passerby commented with that same opinion.

So, how do we make it obvious that that section of sidewalk is a multi-use path? How do we prevent a similar accident from happening in the future?

It seems that the bushes have already been trimmed a bit, presumably by the apartment managers. My idea was to just make some cut-outs of the bike/ped trail signs elsewhere on the Burke-Gilman, borrow some safety cones, and spray-paint those signs on a dry night (2am errand?).  Is there a more formal way to go about this that is condoned by the city?  What other options should I/we be considering?

All the best!
Kay Wolf

Bryant Mason

Apr 8, 2022, 11:08:23 PM4/8/22
to Fremont Greenways
Hi, Kay,

Sorry to read about your accident. That's a particularly dangerous spot on the BGT for the reasons you mention.

The Fremont and Ballard Greenways groups joined forces a few years back and, as a result, this Google group is no longer active. You should post your message to Ballard-Fremont Greenways - Google Groups

Thanks,

Bryant