FW: [WTNN] World Tibet Network News -- January 14, 2011

1 view

Alex Bunjes

Jan 14, 2011, 6:31:47 AM1/14/11
to freetibetandyou
Friday, January 14, 2011
Issue ID: 2011/01/14Compiled by Nima Dorjee
Contents
1. "How I Met His Holiness the Dalai Lama Without a Passport" By Woeser??
2. China Detains a Tibetan Writer in Lhasa, Capital of Tibet
3. India reacts strongly, says stapled Chinese visa for Arunachal not
acceptable
4. Stapled visas: AAPSU burn effigies of Chinese President
5. Tibetans crowd roads for a glimpse of Dalai Lama
6. Tibet activists criticise Cameron
7. China Now Needs To Open Up: Tibet's Leader
8. Tibet gov't chief says fight against Dalai Lama lasting and vehement
9. Palace aide's memoir bares China skeletons in Nepal cupboard
1. "How I Met His Holiness the Dalai Lama Without a Passport" By Woeser??
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12, 2011
http://www.highpeakspureearth.com/2011/01/how-i-met-his-holiness-dalai-lama.
html

High Peaks Pure Earth has translated a blogpost by Woeser that was
originally written for broadcast on Radio Free Asia on January 5, 2011
and posted on her blog on January 10, 2011.

As reported on the Dalai Lama's official website, the Dalai Lama
participated in a video conference with Chinese human rights lawyers
Jiang Tianyong and Teng Biao on January 4, 2011. Organised by Woeser's
husband Wang Lixiong, this video conference followed on from a series of
Twitter conversations between the Dalai Lama and Chinese netizens that
Wang Lixiong organised in 2010.

High Peaks Pure Earth has used the translation by Ragged Banner of
Woeser's poem "On the Road" that appeared in the volume "Tibet's True
Heart" and that she quotes in her article below, it is a poem that she
wrote in Lhasa in May 1995. Follow this link to read the whole poem:
http://raggedbanner.com/pOTR.html

It all started with a video conversation in cyberspace. On January 4,
2011, His Holiness was in Dharamsala engaging in a video conversation
with the two human rights lawyers, Teng Biao and Jiang Tianyong, as well
as the author Wang Lixiong. And I, I was standing behind Wang Lixiong,
attentively listening to every word. When the Dalai Lama appeared on
screen, I could hardly believe it, tears started streaming down my face.

"How I Met His Holiness the Dalai Lama Without a Passport"
By Woeser??

Seven years ago, in my essay collection ³Notes on Tibet², I wrote this
about a group photo showing a father with his son quietly making their
way from Lhasa to Dharamsala: ³he who conveys an air of humility and
modesty on both sides but embraces the centre, is the most illustrious
of all devout Tibetan people, the most affectionate, eager person - the
Dalai Lama.² Because of this sentence and because of a few articles that
touch on the truth, the local authorities labelled my work as
³containing severe political errors², "praising the 14th Dalai Lama and
17th Karmapa, and promoting serious political and religious opinions are
wrong. Some essays already to some extent contain political errors."
After this, I was removed from my public position, this is when I left
Lhasa.

Even earlier than that, already 16 years ago, I composed a poem
implicitly conveying: ³On the road, I clutch a flower not of this world,
Hurrying before it dies, searching in all directions, That I may present
it to an old man in a deep red robe. A wish fulfilling jewel, A wisp of
a smile: These bind the generations tight." Later on, I turned this poem
into lyrics, openly saying that ³old man in a deep red robe², ³is our
Yeshe Norbu, our Kundun, our Gongsachog, our Gyalwa Rinpoche Š² all of
which are Tibetan terms of respect for the Dalai Lama.

Just like so many Tibetans, hoping to be able to see His Holiness, to
respectfully listen to his teachings, to be granted an audience, this
has also been my innermost wish; from a very young age, I have always
longed for this moment to come true. But, I cannot get a passport, just
like many other Tibetans, it is almost unthinkable that this regime that
controls us will ever grant us a passport, which should, in actual fact,
be a fundamental right that every citizen enjoys. Last year, Lhasa gave
out passports to anyone above 60 years of age, albeit only for the
period of one week. As a result the office in charge of passports was
full of the grey-haired, limping elderly; and it was clear that they
were all heading for the foothills of the Himalayas to visit relatives,
pay homage to the holy land of Buddhism, as well as to fulfil that dream
that no one speaks of but everyone knows. I am sorrowfully thinking that
I may have to wait until I am 60 years old until I get hold of a passport.

However, the internet gave my passport-less self a pass to travel; in
the New Year, it helped me to make my dream come true ­ through the
internet I met, as if in a dream but still very vivid and real, His
Holiness the Dalai Lama!

It all started with a video conversation in cyberspace. On January 4,
2011, His Holiness was in Dharamsala engaging in a video conversation
with the two human rights lawyers, Teng Biao and Jiang Tianyong as well
as the writer Wang Lixiong. And I, I was standing behind Wang Lixiong,
attentively listening to every word that was spoken. When the Dalai Lama
appeared on screen, I could hardly believe it, tears started streaming
down my face. This miracle facilitated by the technological revolution,
making it possible to overcome geographical distances and man-made
barriers and building a bridge that enables the Dalai Lama to speak with
Chinese intellectuals, is unquestionably of tremendous magnitude. I
heard His Holiness saying to the three Han Chinese intellectuals: ³it¹s
just as if we were together, we only can¹t smell each other's breath².
At the end of the 70-minute long conversation, His Holiness asked in a
concerned voice: ³Can you see me clearly?² When all three of them said
that they could, he light-heartedly pointed at his eyebrows and laughed:
³so, did you also see my grey eyebrows?²

I cried and I cried. When I, as Tibetans do, prostrated three times,
silently reciting some prayers, holding a khata in my hands and kneeling
in front of the computer with tear-dimmed eyes, I saw His Holiness
reaching out both of his hands as if he was going to take the Khata, as
if he was going to give me his blessings. I am unable to describe with
words how I feltŠI am really such a fortunate person; in Tibet, many
people get into trouble simply for owning a photo of the Dalai Lama.

In fact, today, many people from all over China have met with His
Holiness and they have not at all lost their freedom, since we are all
citizens of this country, Tibetans should also not be punished for
having an audience with His Holiness.

Facing the image of me on the screen, the Dalai Lama instructed me in an
earnest and tireless way: ³Do not give up, keep going, it is of the
utmost importance that Han Chinese intellectuals and we Tibetans always
tell each other about the real situation, that we communicate with and
understand each other; you have to internalise this. Over the past 60
years, the courage and faith of those of us Tibetans living in Tibet has
been as strong as a rock. The international community is paying close
attention to the real situation in Tibet, people from all over the world
see that there is a truth in Tibet, Chinese intellectuals are
increasingly aware of this, looking at it from a broad perspective, big
and powerful China is in the process of transforming. Hence, you must
remain confident and work even harder, do you understand?²

By then, I had already calmed down and kept the words spoken by His
Holiness in my heart.

Beijing, January 5, 2011

2. China Detains a Tibetan Writer in Lhasa, Capital of Tibet

Tuesday, 11 January 2011 16:41 YC. Dhardhowa, The Tibet Post International

Dharamshala: Tenpa Lodoe, pseudonym Gang-ga Champo, a well-known Tibetan
writer and the editor of 'Walk-Forward' (Dhunkyod) was arrested recently
by Chinese Security Bureau Officials in Lhasa, the capital of Tibet
(Chinese; Tibet Autonomous Region, TAR).

According to information received by The Tibet Post International, the
magazine editor was arrested by police in Lhasa, capital of Tibet on 29
December 2010, the Tibetan writer is a native of the Chakrapalbar
county, near Chamdho, eastern Tibetan region of Kham.

Our source quotes the information as saying, he was arrested by Chinese
authorities when he and one of his friend reached the main street of
Lhasa, the police sat them in chairs with automated hand and ankle
restraints after taking to Lhasa Chinese police station. The authorities
confiscated all his valuables, such as laptop, mobile phone, books, and
printer, etc.

Penpa Lodoe completed his Buddhist studies at Ngagyur Institution
(Ngagyur Dansachenmo), the main monastery of Nyingmapa Tibetan Buddhist
sect in Tibet and later worked as an important member of Tibetan
Association of Intellectuals (Tib: Palbar Lhobkul Tsokpa), he also
founded an association called "The Status of Snow-mountan" (Tib: Gangri
Neybab Tsokpa) which established by young Tibetan monks and writers in
eastern Tibet.

Associating with Ven. Goyon, the editor of the magazine 'Purgyal Kyi
Namshey' (Soul of Ancient Kings) and other Tibetan writers, gives him
opportunities to organize several conferences and discussions in various
places in Tibet. A writer's conference titled 'Seeking the Copyrights'
was held in Chengdu, eastern Tibet on 24 January 201, over 17 Tibetan
intellectuals including editors, bloggers and writers were participated,
the meeting was also organized by Lodoe and his friend Goyon.

"Associating with other writers gives him opportunities to practice the
art of writing, the Tibetan writers' conferences often bring in
successful writers, bloggers and editors to speak on a variety of topics
concerning writing and publishing," said in his recent published article
on blog.

At present, family and friends of Tenpa Lodoe are anxious regarding his
arrest, as his current whereabouts are unknown.

Our source also says that on 5 June 2010 his friend Goyon, a well-known
Tibetan writer was detained, the authorities then harshly interrogated
him, asking for detailed information on his current work and political
participation. They beat him continuously and threated him with guns
placed to our foreheads. He was seriously ill after being released from
Chinese prison last year.

3. India reacts strongly, says stapled Chinese visa for Arunachal not
acceptable
Thursday, January 13, 2011, 18:00 [IST]

New Delhi, Jan 13 (ANI): India today reacted strongly, saying that the
issuing of stapled visas by China to athletes from Arunachal Pradesh is
not acceptable.
Buzz up!
Despite strong protest by India against stapled visas issued to the
people of Jammu and Kashmir, China has expanded its stapled visa regime
to Arunachal Pradesh.

Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) joint secretary Abraham K. Techi
along with a noted Arunchalee weightlifter were to leave for Beijing at
the invitation of Chinese Weightlifting Association, but due to the
stapled visas issued by the Chinese Embassy in New Delhi they were not
able to board the flight.

Techi, who contacted the Chinese Embassy on Tuesday, said the official
informed that "right visa had been issued to the Arunchalees".

"Issuing of stapled visa is not acceptable to the Government of India
and we have already conveyed it to China," said Defence Minister A K
Antony after unveiling the country's first ever Defence Production Policy.

Commenting on rise in Chinese activity along border of India and their
growing footprints in the Pakistan Occupied Kashmir, Antony said: "It is
fact that China has strengthened its security infrastructure in the
border areas in the last 20 years, but I can assure that we have also
strengthened security apparatus in the Eastern sector."

Antony further said that along with status and growth of India, the
country would have to strengthen its security, as the situation is
highly volatile in the neighbourhood.

"We are modernising our armed forces after careful assessment of
threats. Our security arrangements are better now and the forces are
fairly well prepared," Antony added.

Chinese territorial claims over Arunachal Pradesh - a key component of
the longstanding boundary dispute with India-had come in the way of
bilateral interactions, in 2007 with China denying a visa to senior IAS
officer Ganesh Koyu, who was a member of 107 strong IAS officers" team
on a management programme to China.

A study visit to Beijing and Shanghai, part of a programme to learn more
about Chinese economic growth and policies, was cancelled because of
Beijing's refusal to grant visa to Koyu who hail from Arunachal Pradesh.
By Praful Kumar Singh (ANI)

4. Stapled visas: AAPSU burn effigies of Chinese President
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print/649968.aspx

The issuance of stapled visas to two Arunachalees by the Chinese embassy
in New Delhi has sparked strong protest in Itanagar on Thursday with a
student's union burning effigies of Chinese President Hu Jintao.

Hundreds of All Arunachal Pradesh Students Union (AAPSU) activists
holding anti-China placards stalled traffic movement for a few hours at
Bank Tinali, the nerve centre of the state capital.

Indian Weightlifting Federation's Joint-Secretary Abraham K Techi along
with a weightlifter of the state were taken aback yesterday when
immigration officials at New Delhi's IGI Airport stopped them and turned
the two men away because of the stapled visas issued by the Chinese
Embassy.

The duo was to leave for Beijing at the invitation of Chinese
Weightlifting Association president Menguang on behalf of China
Weightlifting Grand Prix to be held at Fujian province during January 15
to 17.

Blaming the Centre as well as the state government for not taking the
issue seriously, AAPSU president Takam Tatung while talking to media
alleged that Arunachal was suffering because of India's "faulty foreign
policy."

"We are going to submit memorandums to the President and Prime Minister
of India soon requesting them to understand the sentiments of the people
of Arunachal and to initiate proper measures with China," Tatung disclosed.

Meanwhile, taking strong exception to the Chinese ploy of issuing
stapled visas to the two Arunachalees, former Lok Sabha member and newly
appointed BJP national general secretary Tapir Gao on Thursday urged the
Indian government to reciprocate the same by issuing stapled visas to
Chinese nationals visiting India.

5. Tibetans crowd roads for a glimpse of Dalai Lama

TNN, Jan 10, 2011, 11.13pm IST
VARANASI: It was a revered moment for the Tibetans living in exile to
see their supreme spiritual leader ‹ the 14th Dalai Lama ‹ in Sarnath on
Monday. From Buddhist monks to common people including women and
children, a large number of Tibetans queued up along the road leading to
the Central University of Tibetan Studies (CUTS), Sarnath to have a
glimpse of His Holiness.

The Dalai Lama, along with the officials of the Tibetan
government-in-exile, reached Sarnath around 1 pm on Monday. He was
accorded a ceremonial welcome in Tibetan style at the CUTS. A group of
Tibetans played on traditional instrument 'Gyaling Raktum' on his
arrival while a number of monks and other distinguished persons,
including vice-chancellor Ngawang Samten, offered traditional 'Khata'
(stole) to him. Then the Dalai Lama went inside the guesthouse on the
campus for some rest.

Thousands of Tibetans from across the world assembled in Sarnath to see
the Dalami Lama and listen to his teachings during his nine-day stay.
The entire area around the university was buzzing with the Tibetans. A
number of temporary shops of a variety of articles also came into
existence along the road. During his stay, the Dalai Lama will take part
in the valedictory function of the four-day 'Tenggyur Translation
Conference: In the tradition of the 17 Pandits of Nalanda', organised by
the CUTS and American Institute of Buddhist Studies at Columbia
University on Tuesday. He will deliver his teachings to Buddhist
followers from January 12 to 17. He will leave on January 19.

CUTS has special significance for the Dalai Lama

VARANASI: Sarnath, where Buddha delivered his first sermon, has always
been one of the favoured destinations of the Dalai Lama. He has been
regularly visiting the Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies
(CIHTS), now Central University of Tibetan Studies (CUTS), Sarnath.

The institution, a centre of higher education for the Tibetans, holds a
special importance for the Dalai Lama. In 1959, a mass exodus of the
Tibetan emigrants left their country and took political asylum in India.
Under joint efforts of the 14th Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso and India's
then prim minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the CIHTS was established in
1967 with a view to educating the youth of Tibet and the students on the
Indian border who had lost the opportunity of living in Tibet for
advanced studies and religious discourses in Buddhism that had been
their natural milieu.

The institution has a specific purpose based on four cardinal aims, viz.
preservation of Tibetan culture and traditions, restoration of ancient
learning and implementation of multi-dimensional Tibetan studies, to
afford alternate arrangements for instruction to border areas students
who were left bereft of vital knowledge and spiritual training under
altered circumstances, and revival of traditional education under modern
university system. One of the reasons for the establishment of the
institute was to resuscitate the past glory which lies ensconced in the
precious Buddhist scriptures on religion and philosophy, art and
architecture and science and technology including astronomy and
medicine, a substantial volume of which is preserved by the Tibetan
exiles despite their sudden and terrific calamity. Initially the
institute was established on the premises of the Sanskrit University and
later it moved to its own premises in Sarnath and was granted autonomy
under the department of culture. In 1988, the institute got status of
`deemed to be a university' with financial support from the Union
ministry of human resource development. In 2009, the CIHTS became the
Central University of Tibetan Studies. The Dalai Lama dedicated the new
name of the institution during his visit to Sarnath in January 2009.

The CUTS is not only an academic institution but it also produces good
statesmen. Earlier, when it was CIHTS, it gave the first elected prime
minister to the Tibetan government-in-exile. Samdhong Rinpoche, the
former director of CIHTS, was elected the first PM of the Tibetan
government-in- exile in 2001. As a young monk, Rinpoche moved to India
in 1959 after Chinese aggression. In his book 'Tibet: A Future Vision',
he firmly believes that Tibet will once again become a zone of
non-violence. He writes that the Tibetan struggle is neither a political
movement nor an anti-Chinese activity. It is also not a struggle between
two nations or ethnic groups nor is there a conflict of political
ideology. It is simply the country's spiritual longing to restore the
space and freedom to perform the duties. He writes that the future of
Tibet will be determined by the will and vision of the majority of
Tibetans. His future vision covers aspects of Tibet including polity,
society, economy, education, health and family welfare, religion,
culture, international relations and environment.

Read more: Tibetans crowd roads for a glimpse of Dalai Lama - The Times
of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/varanasi/Tibetans-crowd-roads-for-a-
glimpse-of-Dalai-Lama/articleshow/7255340.cms#ixzz1AxvrDMOI

6. Tibet activists criticise Cameron

By James Blitz, Defence and Diplomatic Editor

Published: January 13 2011 19:40 | Last updated: January 13 2011 19:40

Campaigners for an independent Tibet have accused David Cameron¹s
government of engaging in a ³cosmetic box-ticking exercise² when it
comes to addressing the abuse of human rights in China, arguing that the
coalition is defying British public opinion by ignoring the issue.

At the end of a week in which the coalition welcomed Li Keqiang, a
rising star in the Chinese leadership, officials held talks on Thursday
with their Beijing counterparts on China¹s treatment of dissidents.

Activists said the annual UK-China Human Rights Dialogue, held in
London, allowed the government to give the impression it was raising the
issue of human rights without achieving any tangible results.

British officials said the dialogue provided a forum to ³raise the UK¹s
most serious areas of concern about the treatment of Chinese dissidents,
while also presenting opportunities for more detailed, technical-level
exchanges². A Foreign and Commonwealth Office official added: ³Its main
advantage is that it enables us to engage directly with policymakers in
a constructive way.²

Stephanie Brigden, director of the Free Tibet movement, criticised the
way British ministers treat the issue of Chinese human rights abuses.

³While the trade negotiations involving Mr Li have been conducted by
senior politicians on both sides with much fanfare, human rights have
been sidelined to a low-profile, fundamentally flawed process,² she
said. ³This betrays both the British public and the people who are
repressed by the Chinese regime.²

She said the dialogue, which is this week being held for the 19th time,
should be scrapped.

³The existence of the dialogue, however ineffectual, allows both
governments to say they address human rights concerns,² said Ms Brigden.

³But the process fails the acid test: it achieves no concrete
improvements in human rights for people in Tibet and China.²

Downing Street officials said this week that China¹s treatment of
dissidents was raised by Mr Cameron and other ministers in meetings with
Mr Li. But Downing Street refused to tell journalists which dissidents
were discussed or what British ministers said.

According to Free Tibet, an opinion poll by ICM research last November
found that 74 per cent of Britons thought that human rights in China
were ³as important as² or ³more important than² the question of boosting
trade between the UK and China.

7. China Now Needs To Open Up: Tibet's Leader

Friday, 07 January 2011 20:11 YC. Dhardhowa, The Tibet Post International

Dharamshala: Tibet's spiritual and political leader His Holiness the
Dalai Lama on Tuesday (January 4) took part in his first video
conference discussion with three prominent Chinese intellectuals which
lasted just over an hour. Unlike the communist regime, His Holiness is
open to dialogue with China, and is always trying to reach out to
ordinary Chinese in order to discuss issues, including Tibet.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama said "geographically, we are faraway -
thousands of miles, but still we can see each other's face clearly, also
we can communicate with one another via online video, it shows that we
have reached the 21st Century."

"Such a video communication via Internet can not feel each other's
breath, however I was very pleased to meet people living in China, and
hope in the future it will be continued, I believe that China will
definitely change, one day we could meet face to face."

A total of 319 questions were asked, with His Holiness responding to
questions from the three Chinese intellectuals. Chinese writer Wang
Lixiong, initiated the online video discussion in 2011. He also
moderated the video conference discussion from Beijing. The other two
Chinese participants were Law Professor and civil rights activist Teng
Biao and prominent Human Rights lawyer Jiang Tianyong, who were in
Shenzhen.

Teng Biao and Jiang Tianyong were the prominent human rights lawyer
during the Chinese crackdown on Tibetans in 2008, they jointly issued a
statement saying "we are willing to provide legal assistance to
Tibetans." During the video conference, the lawyers questioned the Dalai
Lama about Wikileaks and about interaction with Chinese scholars.

Teng asked, "open communication and understanding between Chinese and
Tibetan people, particularly between Chinese and Tibetan intellectuals,
is very important and a constructive initiative to solve the Tibetan
problem peacefully. If you are willing to promote it, how do you promote
such exchanges and understanding between two sides? What are the main
obstacles to further development?

"I have made efforts to communicate with Chinese friends ahead of
Tienanmen events, I have also asked the same to Chinese friends who were
living in US and Canada. Despite some suspicious staring by our friends
from the mainland. Anyway, after Tienanmen events, then the
communication with Chinese people becomes quite strong, particularly
after the 2008 crisis in Tibet more and more Chinese have started paying
attention to the Tibetan issue," His Holiness the Dalai Lama replied.

His Holiness said that whenever he met with Chinese and foreign friends,
professors, and scholars, he talked about the need for China to be an
open society. "whenever I met with Chinese and foreign friends, I
usually told them, China now needs to open up."

The Tibetan spiritual leader has reiterated that his faith in the
Chinese people on the issue of Tibet remains unshaken. "I have met with
several hundred Chinese scholars and writers to discuss Tibet, many
Chinese intellectuals and writers fully support the Tibetans' middle-way
policy towards achieving genuine autonomy, our present middle-way policy
which is not a "we win, you lose" kind of stand, would be beneficial to
both China and Tibet."

"The recent report emerging out of Wikileaks indicated that, you told
the U.S. ambassador to New Delhi that the world should focus its
attention on the environmental problems in Tibet which cannot wait and
that the Tibetans can wait for five to 10 years for a political
solution. Is that true? What solutions do you suggest for it and what
are your actual views on this?" Jiang asked.

"As I said before, there will be no change in my stand, 'Middle-way
Approach would be beneficial to both China and Tibet, but, the
large-scale environmental problems in Tibet are a matter of great
sadness to me. It is not only sad for Tibet, these are problems looking
from a wider perspective, Tibetan environmental problems may impact many
of the rivers which flow through large areas of Asia, where more than a
billion people in the region depend on the water that comes from rivers
that originate on the Tibetan plateau," His Holiness replied.

8. Tibet gov't chief says fight against Dalai Lama lasting and vehement
Xinhua is the official news agency of the communist part of China and
the government of China.

English.news.cn 2011-01-10 22:52:22

FeedbackPrintRSS

LHASA, Jan. 10 (Xinhua) -- Tibet's top government official on Monday
said the fight against the Dalai Lama clique is meant to be lasting,
intense, complicated, and sometimes fought vehemently.

"We are still facing an arduous task to fight secessionists and maintain
stability in the region," Padma Choling, chairman of the Tibet
Autonomous Region, said in his first government report submitted to the
local legislature for review on Monday.

The secessionist forces led by the 14th Dalai Lama were blamed for
provoking the deadly riots in Lhasa and other Tibetan regions in March
2008.

On another subject, Choling said the government's goal in achieving
rapid development and long-term stability in Tibet also faces challenges
from lagging infrastructure construction, development gap between urban
and rural areas, and lack of a system to ensure long-term growth of
residents' incomes.

Further, Choling noted that the region's economy grew 12.2 percent in
2010. Additionally, incomes for both urban residents and nomads
continued to grow and efforts to tame environmental hazards were
strengthened while new roads and airports were built.

The central government has been pouring vast funding, personnel, and
resources to assist Tibet's development over the past decades. Much of
these efforts can be seen in the complete makeover of Lhasa and other
cities and towns in the region, along with their improved transport
links - including the landmark Qinghai-Tibet Railway which began
connecting the region by rail with the rest of the country in 2006.
9. Palace aide's memoir bares China skeletons in Nepal cupboard

2011-01-12
http://www.sify.com/news/palace-aide-s-memoir-bares-china-skeletons-in-nepal
-cupboard-news-international-lbmpakggagd.html

Kathmandu, Jan 12 (IANS) The controversial memoir of a former top palace
aide of Nepal, that has dragged India into dispute and besmirched the
images of the former royals, also bares Chinese skeletons in Nepal's
cupboard. It contends that Beijing sought to create bad blood between
Nepal and India and pressured for the deployment of the army to curb the
flight of Tibetan refugees.

Gen. Bibek Kumar Shah rose to be the military secretary of the royal
palace from a former aide de camp of king Birendra.

His tenure saw the king as well as nine more royals die in a bloodbath
in the palace. After Birendra's brother Gyanendra ascended the throne,
Shah was asked to resign and was refused further audience with the king.

The disgraced general's recently released memoir, 'Maile dekheko durbar'
- The court as I saw it - created controversy even before it was
officially released. A section of Nepal's media highlighted his
allegation that India had trained Nepal's Maoist guerrillas during the
10-year insurgency to demolish monarchy in Nepal.

The allegation was denied as baseless by both the Indian government and
the Maoists, who are now the largest party in Nepal's parliament.

What has gone unremarked is the adverse image of Nepal's northern
neighbour China that the memoir paints, willy-nilly.

Though he was frequently dined by the then Chinese ambassador to Nepal
Wu Congyong and he exhibited a pro-China stance, Shah's 'diary'
boomerangs on Beijing with its explosive entries.

Shah writes that during the growing Maoist insurgency in Nepal, Wu met
the then Nepali prime minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, and was 'understood
to have clarified that Nepal's Maoist Party (then a banned terrorist
organisation) moved as per the Indian agenda and has no relation with
China'.

According to Shah, the Chinese envoy also said the Maoists were
deliberately misusing Chinese leader Mao Zedong's name to create a
misconception about their links with China at the behest of India.

'According to the information given by the Chinese ambassador, there is
an unofficial agreement between the Maoists and India's intelligence
agency RAW to end monarchy in Nepal,' the memoir says.

During his tenure, Wu, supported by Shah, lobbied vigorously for the
establishment of a commercial bank, which would have been a joint
venture between China and Nepal's army, with the Army Welfare Fund being
used for capital.

Shah advised the king the bank could be used to pay pension to the
Gorkha soldiers formerly employed in the Indian and British armies and
the pension camps run in Nepal by both the armies could be shut down.

Shah showed a deep animosity towards the Indian Army pension camps -
that besides disbursing pension also provide medical treatment and other
welfare schemes to veteran soldiers and their families - saying they
were a threat to Nepal's national security, like the Indian consulate in
southern Nepal.

The commercial bank between the army and China was an incredible
proposal that would have been undoubtedly rejected by India, if not
Britain as well. Shah's lobbying did not yield any result finally though
he managed to get the finance ministry approve of 20 percent foreign
investment in such a venture.

Wu also reportedly told the palace official that Tibetans were causing
trouble to Chinese police along the Tibet-Nepal border, escaping to
Nepal and indulging in anti-China activities there.

'The UN (refugee welfare agency) in Nepal is seeking to grant refugee
status to such people,' the Chinese envoy reportedly said. 'It's not
right and can harm Nepal-China ties. All such (Tibetan) people should be
registered as criminals and deported to China.'

The Chinese ambassador is also reported as having met senior Nepal
Police officials and suggested 'there should be good relations between
Nepal Police, Chinese police and the Chinese embassy' and frequent
exchange of information.

More than a decade after the reported meeting, whistleblower WikiLeaks
published a document last month that said China was paying Nepal's
police to arrest fleeing Tibetan refugees and hand them over to the
Chinese.

The Chinese envoy also asked the palace to transfer the then home
secretary of Nepal, Tika Dutt Niraula, and suggested that Nepal deploy
its army to crack down on fleeing Tibetans and strengthen the army for
that purpose.

According to Shah's memoir, China also sought to have Nepal's Army
confer the same honour on the Chinese Army chief that it does on the
Indian Army chief.

India and Nepal regard each other's army chiefs as honorary generals of
their own armies, an honour that enhances the ties between the two
neighbours and China.

However, the proposal has not yet been accepted by the government of Nepal.

(Sudeshna Sarkar can be contacted at sudes...@ians.in)

------ Einde van doorgestuurd bericht