FW: [WTNN] World Tibet Network News - December 14, 2010

Alex Bunjes

Dec 16, 2010, 4:34:03 AM12/16/10
to freetibetandyou
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Issue ID: 2010/12/14
Contents
1. His Holiness the Dalai Lama Consecrates Tharpa Choeling Monastery
?? in Kalimpong (TibetNet)
2. His Holiness the Dalai Lama Recounts Happy Memories of Kalimpong (TibetNet)
3. Dalai Lama delivers sermon in Kalimpong (Daily India)
4. His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Nobel Prize Celebrated in Russia and Taiwan
5. China Rewrites Tibet History: Monks Recently Escaped from Tibet (TPI)
6. Human Rights Day: Jigme Norbu walks the long road to Tibet’s
?? independence (Taipei Times)
7. Goodbye Dalai?
8. Tibetan exiles camp in Delhi to protest Chinese premier's visit (HT)
1. His Holiness the Dalai Lama Consecrates Tharpa Choeling Monastery in Kalimpong
TibetNet
Tuesday, 14 December 2010

DHARAMSHALA: His Holiness the Dalai Lama on Sunday inaugurated and consecrated the newly refurbished Gaden Tharpa Choeling Monastery in India's northeastern state of West Bengal, which he said is one of the oldest Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in India.
?
His Holiness said he was very happy to visit the monastery, adding that Kalimpong has had a long relationship with Tibet.

His Holiness paid his first visit to Gaden Tharpa Choeling Monastery in 1956 when he was returning to Tibet after attending the 2500th Buddha Jayanti celebration in India. The second visit was made in 1981 during which he gave a series of religious teachings.

“Since then, I could not able to visit here as the Lamas and monks were engaged in Shugden propitiation,” he said.

“I also propitiated Shugden in the fifties, and after careful research and study realised that Shugden is an evil spirit. I then renounced its propitiation, and informed in detail to Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche and received his complete support,” he said.

“I have now come here at invitation of this monastery as it has shunned Shugden propitiation,” he said.

Earlier in the morning, His Holiness was accorded ceremonial welcome on arrival at Kalimpong from New Delhi. Hundreds of Tibetans - representing the traditional provinces of Tibet, Tibetan Youth Congress and Tibetan Women's Association, monasteries and schools - carrying ceremonial scarves and incense sticks lined on both sides of the road to welcome His Holiness. Local Tamangs, Sherpas and Nepalese joined the welcome reception.
?
On his arrival at Tharpa Choeling monastery, His Holiness was received by the monastery's spiritual head Geshe Dromo Rinpoche as chorus of traditional trumpets reverberated and scent of incense wafted the air.

Geshe Dromo Rinpoche presented Mendrel Tensum (auspicious offerings) to His Holiness the Dalai Lama. The secretary of the monastery, Mr Phurbu, delivered the welcome speech and presented a report of the monastery.
?
Gaden Tharpa Choeling Monastery was established in 1922 by the first Dromo Geshe Rinpoche. The present Dromo Geshe Rinpoche is the third reincarnation. Presently there are about 50 monks at the monastery.
?
Kalimpong used to be one the major trade centres for Tibetan woollen products and Indian goods when Tibet was an independent country.

2. His Holiness the Dalai Lama Recounts Happy Memories of Kalimpong
TibetNet
Tuesday, 14 December 2010
?
KALIMPONG: Describing Tibet's past relation with Kalimpong and Darjeeling in northeast India as “close to heart”, His Holiness the Dalai Lama said how he as a child was delighted to hear from Tibetan merchants and government officials about their journeys to Kalimpong, Sikkim, Darjeeling and Calcutta.

“At that time, I wished to make a visit to Kalimpong and Darjeeling,” His Holiness reminisced while giving a two-day religious discourse to over 4,000 people at Tharpa Choeling Monastery in Kalimpong yesterday.

“Then in 1956, I happened to be in Kalimpong and Gangtok on my way to attend the celebration of the 2,500th anniversary of the birth of the Buddha. Since coming into exile in 1959, India has been my second home to me,” His Holiness said.

'Moreover, Tharpa Choeling Monastery is one of the oldest Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in India. But, the propitiation of Shugden in the monastery in the past caused me inconvenience to visit. Later on, despite the fact that Shugden was propitiated by former Lamas, all the concerned people in the monastery with broad vision and reason had completely distanced themselves from the spirit worship. So, it became easy for me to come here,” His Holiness said.

Preaching on sacred text of ‘The Three Principal Paths’ (Lamtso Namsum), His Holiness said he always tell Buddhists devotees from around the world, including Tibetan, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese Buddhists, to become 21st Buddhists. One can become a 21st Buddhist only by developing faith in the unique value of Buddha's teaching through understanding and studying them. The faith born out of reason is that of intelligence and is therefore stable and pure, His Holiness added.

Thousands of people, including Sermey Khensur (former abbot) Dagpa Rinpoche, Jamgon Kongrtul Rinpoche, Gyuto Khensur Rinpoche, general public and students, attended the teaching.

Long Life Prayer Offering to His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Earlier in the day, Kalimpong's Tharpa Choeling Monastery and Tibetan Settlement Office presented long life prayer offering to His Holiness the Dalai Lama after he was ushered into the main temple by the monastery's spirural head Dromo Geshe Rinpoche.

During the ceremony, important lay and monastic officials, including Dagpa Rinpoche, Tibetan Settlement Officer, Jamgon Kongrtul Rinpoche, Dromo Geshe Rinpoche and Lama Soepa Rinpoche, presented prayer offerings to His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

His Holiness will confer a long life empowerment (tsewang) followed by an address to the Tibetan community on the morning of 14 December at the Central Tibetan School Kalimpong Ground.

His Holiness will be in Sikkim and back in West Bengal for his next leg of northeast visit scheduled from 19 - 24 December. He will bless a new Buddha Statue being built by the Sikkim State Government in the morning of 19 December and teaching series in Gangtok and Salugara in West Bengal from 21 to 24 December.

(Report filed by Sheja Editor Kelsang Khedup

3. Dalai Lama delivers sermon in Kalimpong
Kalimpong (West Bengal), Dec.13, 2010
DailyIndia.com

Scores of Buddhists along with the monks converged at the Golden Tharpa Monastery here on Monday to attend a sermon delivered by the Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama led the ritual prayers known as the 'Wang'.

Devotees present at the ceremony said it was a great feeling for them to be present in the ceremony.

"It is a great experience. It is feeling as if all our wishes would be fulfilled," said Norbo Tshering Zorpo, a devotee from Arunachal Pradesh.

The discourse included the teaching on the three principal paths Lamtso Namsum and the lifelong empowerment (Tsewang).

The Dalai Lama is on a three-day visit to Kalimpong, where he inaugurated the Golden Tharpa Monastery on Sunday.

From here, he will proceed to the Sikkim. By Tarak Sarkar

4. His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Nobel Prize Celebrated in Russia and Taiwan
TibetNet
Monday, 13 December 2010

Tibetans and supporters in Russia and Taiwan celebrated the 21st anniversary of the confernment of the Nobel Peace Prize on His Holiness the Dalai Lama
?
?His Holiness the Dalai Lama (L) receives the Nobel Prize for Peace in Oslo, Norway, on 10 December 1989
DHARAMSHALA: The 21st anniversary of the conferment of the Nobel Peace Prize to His Holiness the Dalai Lama was celebrated in the capital of Russia on 10 December. The event was attended by Russian Dharma friends, Tibetans and traditional Buddhists of Burytia, Kalmykia and Tuva.
?
While addressing the gathering at the prayer hall of Tsongkapa Buddhist Center in Moscow, His Holiness' Representative Mr Nawang Rabgyal said: "His Holiness has been making tireless efforts to promote inner peace for world peace, non-violence, inter-religious harmony and universal responsibility. He is one of the shinning figures of the world. He has had travelled all continents of the world and wherever he travels, his objectives are always to promote his three main commitments."
?
One of the meaningful ways of celebrating the event, said Mr N Rabgyal, is to offer sincere prayers for His Holiness' long life and for success of his noble mission.

His introductory speech was followed by Tsog offering and prayers led by Ngawang Riglam, a former monk from Drepung Gomang. It was followed by screening a documentary film on His Holiness the Dalai Lama titled " I am a Buddhist Monk". Following this, photos of His Holiness from childhood to present were shown on video.

It was followed by songs in praise of His Holiness composed by two young Russian Buddhists and Tuvian lady.
?
Another event was held at Moscow Open Center. After the weekly teachings of Geshe Ngawang Thugjie, Dharma Teacher at Tibet Culture and Information Center, his students prayed for the long life of His Holiness and recited mantra of His Holiness. While introducing the event, Geshe N Thugjie spoke on the vision and activities of His Holiness, emphasising on three main commitments of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
?
The conferment of Nobel Peace Prize was also celebrated in Ulan Ude, capital of Buryat Republic. It was organised by Green Tara Center and Buryat Friends of Tibet, under the leadership of Dr Irina Urbanaeva (Ani Tenzin Chodron), who participated the recent 6th International Conference of Tibet Support Groups in India.
?
In Taiwan, the Tibetan Association in Taiwan organised a festive event at Chenreysig Tibetan Buddhist Center in Taoyoun. The organiser hosted screening of Tibetan documentary films and a simple dinner to the visitors. About 60 Tibetans residing in and around Taoyoun City joined the celebration.

In his address, His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Representative Mr Dawa Tsering emphasised "the importance of unity among the Tibetan people and the need to work collectively towards the issue of Tibet".

He conveyed his appreciation to the Tibetan Association for organising the event and their continued efforts to bring together the small Tibetan community.

Mr Dawa Tsering offered Tibetan white ceremonial scarf (Khatak) to Mr Dachompa, the newly-elected president of the Tibetan Association, who is one of the most active member among the Tibetan community in Taiwan. Representative Mr Dawa also paid his deep appreciation to the outgoing president, Mr Jamga, who worked tirelessly for more than a year helping over hundred Tibetans in obtaining the legal documents to stay in Taiwan.?

On the same day Tibetans and Taiwanese supporters launched a 400 km "Walk for Tibet" from Taipei to Kaoshuing . The 13-day event is part of an effort to make the citizens of Taiwan aware of the situation in Tibet. It was also aimed at sharing the message of world peace, human rights and to gain support for the fundamental rights of Tibetans. All the walkers reached Taoyoun on the same evening and joined the Nobel Peace Prize day celebration.

Mr Dachompa, president of the Tibetan Association, thanked all the walkers and he also request more Tibetans to join the walk. After the brief function walkers were offered Khatak by members of Tibetan Association, Regional Tibetan Youth Congress and Regional Tibetan Women's association. The walkers start their next leg of their walk from Taoyoun to Kaoshuing on 11 December 2010 and will reach the final destination Kaoshuing City in south of Taiwan on 22 December.

5. China Rewrites Tibet History: Monks Recently Escaped from Tibet
Monday, 13 December 2010 18:14 YC. Dhardhowa, The Tibet Post International

Dharamshala: - Lobsabg Norbu13december201019 and his fellow two monks had been hiding almost two years in the hills and mountains of Dege county, eastern Tibet after spread documents, banners and flags in 2009 to against Chinese rule over Tibet. The three brave monks safely managed to escape from Tibet recently, currently they have started to enjoy freedom of expression in this Himalayan hill town where His Holiness the Dalai Lama lives in exile.

As the Tibetan and foreign journalists reported out of their peaceful protests in eastern Tibet, Norbu and his friends unfurled banners they had wrapped inside the folds of their crimson robes and held aloft the documents, banners and flags of Tibet in the streets, towns and villages.

Three Tibetan monks from Gonsar monastery, Dza Bharma village of Dege county, eastern Tibet;
Kunga Rinchen, 30, Lobsang Norbu, 26 and Khedup Gyatso have decided to hold a peaceful protest to against Chinese rule over their homeland on 10th November 2010. "We have drawen various slogons on many banners saying 'Free Tibet and we want Human Rights in Tibet, long life His Holiness the Dalai Lama', also painted many Tibetan national flags after decided to hold the protest," Norbu told The Tibet Post International.

Norbu further told that Chinese authorities in the areas in last year have officially announced Tibetans that the local government will reward 20,000 Yuan for each head of the monks if anybody report the monks' detail.

"We have no human rights, no religious freedom, and no freedom of express in Tibet now," Norbu said. That peaceful protest, in April 2008, was spread a clear message around the world by the Tibetans in all parts of Tibet on the communist regime's policy toward Tibet issue. Despite the widespread peaceful Tibetan uprising in their homeland, hundreds were killed, and hundreds were jailed under the name of Hu Jintao's harmony society.

"If we Tibetan monks hadn't lead the peaceful protests to express our feelings, which are feelings in all Tibetan, then we would have missed a chance to tell the world," said Norbu, a monk with lay dress newly became a refugee.

"On 10th November 2009, 2 of my friends and I demonstrated for religious freedom and human rights in Tibet. We aimed to be heard by the state. The Chinese government had insisted that it had made improvements in the field of human rights but in actuality we had no rights, historically Tibet was an independent nation, but China rewrite our history. we tried to fight for these rights. For offenses of a small nature we were treated as criminals," he further said.

Over two years, the three monks slipped out of their monastery, trekked into the mountains, slept in nomads' tents, sneaked into Lhasa aboard a high-altitude traveling and crossed a raging river to Nepal. It was only here in a refugee center that they could tell their true stories to people of the world.

Chinese officials insist that any of the protests were orchestrated by Tibetan leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Tibetan government in exile. The monks from Dege county, eastern Tibet say harsh Chinese policies sparked the tinder, rewriting Tibet History, violating international law, especially limitations on Buddhist practice in Tibet.

"I and my friends decided on our own to protest," Norbu said. "The protests were caused by human rights, freedom of religious and expression issues and harshest Chinese policies toward Tibetans to denounce His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tibet's political and spiritual leader. We couldn't tolerate it anymore," he continued.

"We held the protests with the idea of perceiving our Buddhism and culture identity, which is endangered by Chinese policy. We want His Holiness the Dalai Lama to return to Tibet, but the Chinese don't even allow us to display his picture." he added.

The monks said that Chinese officials held various meetings to practice the 'patriotic re-educating law', which forces local Tibetans, particularly Buddhist monks to denounce their spiritual leaders, including His Holiness the Dalai Lama. During the spring prayer festival last year, many Tibetans were brutally beaten and arrested after burning wild-animal skins, and that many of them are still missing. "Tibetans are still under Chinese pressure of patriotic re-education if they decide to perceive their cultural and religious identity," Norbu concluded.

6. Human Rights Day: Jigme Norbu walks the long road to Tibet’s independence
INTERVIEW: Jigme Norbu walks the long road to Tibet’s independence
By Loa Iok-sin? /? Staff Reporter

Taipei Times
Sat, Dec 11, 2010

Having walked more than 11,000km around the world to promote freedom, human rights and independence for Tibet, the Dalai Lama’s nephew Jigme Norbu began his first “Walk for Tibet” campaign in Asia yesterday in Taipei, and will walk more than 400km to Kaohsiung in 13 days.

“We [Tibetans and Taiwanese] are in the same situation, we should help each other, and we come here to seek help,” Norbu said in an interview with the Taipei Times in Taipei on Thursday. “China is right next door, and maybe they can take over Taiwan one day just like they did in Tibet, we need to let the world know that we need to stop China’s illegal occupation of other countries.”

It wasn’t his idea to advocate for Tibet through long-distance walks. It was, in fact, his father Thupten Jigme Norbu — the eldest brother of the Dalai Lama — who first initiated the walking campaign to raise public awareness of the Tibet issue.

“One thing I wanted to definitely say is that it’s because of my father I’m doing what I am doing, Norbu said. “My father spent his whole life standing up for Tibet’s independence, he traveled all over the world for Tibet.”

Following his father on his travels and walks, seeing what his father did and hearing stories of Tibetans all over the world, Norbu said he feels it’s his responsibility to carry on the mission of his father — who passed away in 2008 — “for the 6 million Tibetans, for the 1.2 million Tibetans who lost their lives standing up for Tibet and for Tibetans who continue to struggle and sacrifice for freedom and human rights in Tibet.”

Born and raised in the US, Norbu said he still — just like most other Tibetans living abroad — retains a very strong Tibetan identity, because of Tibetan stories passed on from generation to generation, the continuous protests of Tibetans both inside and outside of Tibet, and the Tibetan culture and language that have been well-preserved, even in exile.

Norbu said the Tibetan identity was so strong that even brainwashing attempts by the Chinese government could not shake it.

“In 1980, my father and I were officially invited by China to tour around Tibet, because China tried to convince us China had changed Tibet and Tibetans are happy and are living better,” Norbu said. “Unfortunately, for them, we knew it wasn’t true, it’s all lies, people are not happy.”

Such discontent, Norbu said, is expressed through protests by Tibetans, including monks, such as the ones that occurred in 2008.

Walking for a cause, Norbu said, not only allows him to learn a lot and find encouragement, but it also gives him opportunities to give encouragement to other Tibetans.

“During my walks, a lot of Americans — who may be truckers or country people, and who may support the Tibetan cause or not — would come out to shake my hand, they would give us sandwiches and coca-colas, or even invited us to dinner,” Norbu said. “They would say: ‘Wow, so you’re the guy who’s walking so many miles because you believe in something.’”

Each time he walked, Norbu would try to pass through Tibetan communities, and every time they walked through Tibetan communities, they could feel the strong support from fellow Tibetans.

“We get encouraged, but we also try to re-energize younger generation Tibetans — we tell them not to forget where they come from, not to forget what happened to Tibetans, not to forget the 6 million Tibetan brothers and sisters, and not to forget what happened to their fathers and forefathers,” he said.

Although both he and his father insist on pursuing independence for Tibet, Norbu said he respected the exiled government’s position of following the middle-way approach to the Tibet issue — meaning that the exiled government seeks authentic autonomy for Tibet instead of independence.

“I respect their view point, but my path is strictly independent. I respect their decision, and they should respect my decision as well,” Norbu said. “The issue is not whether [to choose] middle way or independence, but we need to act.”

Saying that Tibetans were “tricked” by the Chinese 60 years ago because they were too naive, Norbu said Tibetans are knowledgeable enough nowadays not to allow it to happen again.

He also suggested Taiwanese should try to gain more support in the world — especially from peoples who are also threatened by China — to build up international support to resist threats from China.

Asked how he feels being the nephew of the Dalai Lama, Norbu said that he generally regards the Dalai Lama as a religious and political leader for all Tibetans, and only thinks of him as his uncle secondarily.

However, he recalled some unforgettable moments with the spiritual leader — as an uncle — when he lived as a child in Dharamsala, India, the seat of the Tibetan government in exile, in the 1970s.

“At the time, my family lived with my grandma — His Holiness’ mother — in Dharamsala, and every Sunday, His Holiness would come for lunch,” Norbu recalled. “I was a little boy at the time, I didn’t know much formality, I saw him [the Dalai Lama] just as a monk because of the outfit, I played with him.”

“For me, at the time, he was just an uncle, and we were just like any other nephew and uncle,” he said.

Norbu also remembered when one year, the entire family gathered and had lunch with the Dalai Lama for his birthday: “Everyone was there, the elders — including the Dalai Lama — talked about [what happened] when they were younger. I was very happy to be there and to listen to all those stories, it was fun.”

Norbu’s Walk for Tibet campaign in Taiwan began at 9am in front of Longshan Temple (龍山寺) in Taipei yesterday, and he welcomes anyone who is interested to join him along the way. A detailed itinerary with maps can be found on walk4tibet.blogspot.com <http://walk4tibet.blogspot.com> .

7. Goodbye Dalai?
Written by Saransh Sehgal??
Monday, 13 December 2010

Tibet’s Dalai Lama gives his clearest sign yet of departure from political life

The Dalai Lama’s recent announcement that he would give up his ceremonial role as head of the Tibetan government-in-exile and retire next year in favor of a simpler life away from politics has sent a wave of concern through Tibetan exiles and supporters across the globe.

The 75-year-old head of Tibetan Buddhism, who his followers believe is the 14th in a line of reincarnated religious leaders going back hundreds of years, talked about his desire to retire from public life in a recent interview with an Indian news channel. He has already transferred most of his political powers to prime minister-in-exile, Samdhong Rinpoche, whom he has addressed as his"boss."

“In order to utilize full democracy,” the Dalai Lama said, “I feel it is better if I am not involved and I am devoted to other fields, promotion of human values and peace and harmony. But firstly I have to discuss, to inform members of the Tibetan parliament.”

The declaration has again raised the question of who might lead the Tibetan movement and spread the message of Tibetan Buddhism worldwide. The Dalai Lamahimself has often suggested that he is a simple monk and that his successor could be democratically elected — and could even be a woman.

The revered figure, who is already semi-retired, said he would announce hisfull retirement at the next session of the exile parliament in March and would then scale back his responsibilities over the following six months, said Tenzin Taklha, Joint Secretary at the Dalai Lama’s private office based in Dharamsala.? Taklha stressed that the Dalai Lama cannot renounce his spiritual duties but plans to retire from his ceremonial responsibilities.

Beijing has loudly and repeatedly asserted its intention to name the 15th Dalai Lama, as it did with the current Panchen Lama, the Tibetan religion’s second-highest religious leader. The government kidnapped the child chosen as the reincarnated spiritual leader by the Tibetan church and his family and has held them incognito ever since, substituting its own Panchen Lama.? China claims it has the right to choose the Dalai Lama because it possesses the Golden Urn, an artifact used by Manchu emperors in the Qing dynasty in a ceremony to select the reborn religious leader.

Much of the speculation on who might lead focuses on the 17th Karmapa Lama, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, who staged a dramatic escape from China in 1999 after being anointed by the Chinese government as Tibet’s first living Buddha. He joined the Dalai Lama in Dharamsala, making world headlines and badly embarrassing Beijing. Although he was given refugee status by India in 2001, the Indian government closely monitors his activities and limits his travel.

“I think China will rejoice and they will try and feed all of Asia with different teachings, teachings that are strictly geared to their way of thinking,” said Judy Friedsam, an American Buddhist. “I think the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje would be the next best thing to follow the Dalai Lama to fill the future void among Tibetan exiles.”

The exiles’ concerns are natural “We knew this (retirement) would come one day and we will have to face it, it is unfortunate for us that we are still facing this even after 50 years of non-violent struggle,” said an elderly exile who gave his name as Tsering.

Many believe the Dalai Lama is seeking to prepare younger leaders to play a major role. Recent preliminary elections for the post of Kalon Tripa, or Tibetan Prime Minister-in-exile have included young,American-educated Tibetans, an indication of the Dalai Lama’s moves to prepare exiles for life after he is gone.

“He’s continuing a decades-long attempt to try to make his exile administration more democratic and less dependent on him,” said Robbie Barnett, a Tibet scholar at Columbia University in New York. “What’s interesting here is that he’s becoming more specific in terms of when this might happen and what this retirement might mean.”

The Chinese leadership in Beijing would obviously welcome the Dalai Lama’s retirement,eliminating a five-decade irritation.? However, Zhao Gancheng, director of South Asia Studies at the Shanghai Institute for International Studies, told the official Chinese daily Global Times that the topic has often been used to draw attention, since in Tibetan Buddhism, a Dalai Lama cannot “retire.”

The spiritual leader has several times questioned Chinese concern over his successor. Recently speaking at the Hindustan Times Leadership Summit he said, “That is not a serious question for me. It looks like the Chinese government is seriously looking. I made it very clear in 1961 that whether the institution of Dalai Lama should continue or not should be debated.” He even said if a majority feels that the institution of the Dalai Lama is not relevant, then it will cease to exist.

The religious leader’s departure from the global scene could have a dramatic effect. The recent disclosures by WikiLeaks of US State Department diplomatic cables have revealed China’s attempts to limit the Dalai Lama’s movements by pressuring many countries. His retirement could be a relief to host nations concerned about their economic ties with Beijing.

Surely an exit from public life won’t be easy. The exiled parliament may well refuse to let him quit.? His spiritual followers and exile alike are deeply concerned about a void that would diminish the importance of their struggle.

Summing up the reaction was the Tibetan prime ministerial candidate in next year’s election, Dolma Gyari: “We will humbly request him not to leave us,” she said.

Saransh Sehgal is a writer based in Dharamsala, India.

8. Tibetan exiles camp in Delhi to protest Chinese premier's visit
Gaurav Bisht
Hindustan Times

Dharamsala, December 13, 2010

As India gets ready to welcome Chinese premier Wen Jia Bao, streets at Macleodganj - known as Little Lhasa wears a deserted look - Tibetan exiles have left for Delhi to protest against the visiting dignitary.

The leading Tibetan NGOs that have been at the forefront of "anti- campaign" ahead of Beijing Olympics in 2008 are pitting in New Delhi, even as they remain wary to disclose their plans to protest Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao visit.? Anti protests at that time, had scattered all around leading to violence.? Tibetan government in exile had claimed that more than 300 persons had died in protest across administered, while Chinese official confirmed only 19 deaths.

Tibetan Youth Congress, the largest of Tibetan NGO stands for Independence of Tibet have planned three- day sit in protest at Jantar Mantar to draw the attention towards half -a- century old unresolved Tibetan Issue. Chinas claims Tibet's as its integral part while the Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama seeks more "autonomy" for his homeland - Tibet. China has been rejecting Dalai Lama's demand for "autonomy" calling it as "independence in guise".? The nine rounds of dialogue between Dalai Lama's representative and Chinese officials have remained inconclusive.

Other Tibetan support groups including organization of political prisoners - Gu-Chu- Sum, Tibetan Woman Association (TWA), Student for Free Tibet (SFT) and National Democratic Party of Tibet (NDPT) would organise conference at Delhi with Indian intellectuals writers and Political leaders. The four NGO had called a march in 2008, which was called off after the Dalai Lama's intervention. Though the Tibetan exiles have kept their plans under wraps but protest would apparently be a low -profile since had been has been asking to tread with caution on the Tibetan Issue.

Tibet's exiled spiritual and temporal head the Dalai Lama who escaped to in 1959 with hordes of Tibetans is away on ten-day tour to and West Bengal. Dalai Lama is expected to participate in series of programs being hosted by Sikkim government. Dalai Lama is visiting on an invite by chief minister Pawan Chamling.

Tibetans exiles have plans to submit memorandum to the embassies of various government to highlight the issue of "Human Rights violation.? But it is likely that the visit could also see high profile protest from Individuals.? "Yes there would be protest, this time too" Tibetan poet and freedom activist Tenzing Tsundue told Hindustan Times from Delhi. Tsundue, in 2002 climbed the scaffolding of the Mumbai building where Chinese premier Zhu Rongji was staying during his state visit. Tsundue carried a banner that read "Free Tibet", while he was frisked away by police.

Tsundue repeated the performance in 2005 when Chinese premier Wen Jiabao was addressing a conference at the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, standing on the balcony of the 200ft-high tower with a red banner that read "Free Tibet".? At that time Tibetan activist had hidden himself in the balcony overnight-and stayed there without food or water-because it would have been difficult to get past security on the day of the official visit.

There more than 10,000 Tibetans living in Dharamsala, which is the headquarters of Tibetan government in exile since in 1959 after Dalai Lama settled down here.

------ Einde van doorgestuurd bericht