FW: Global Day of Action, 13 July - 60 Years of China's Failed Policies in Tibet

Alex Bunjes

Jun 30, 2011, 5:32:37 PM6/30/11
to freetibetandyou
Onderwerp: Global Day of Action, 13 July - 60 Years of China's Failed Policies in Tibet

 <http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PTZJBIbCYOl5FUuVwienJTn4s0C5gokl>

International Tibet Network Membership Message,
Dear Network Members, (Une version de ce message dans Google français seront envoyés séparément)

With unrest and repression escalating in Tibet - more protests and arrests in Kardze, and hundreds of monks from Ngaba's Kirti Monastery threatened with expulsion (see reports below) - we would like to invite all Tibet Groups to join a Global Day of Action on Wednesday 13 July.

13 July is just before expected events in the closed Tibet Autonomous Region to 'celebrate' the 60th Anniversary of what China calls the "peaceful liberation" of Tibet. We can assume that senior Chinese leaders will be visiting Lhasa and some foreign guests may even attend. This is an appropriate time to ratchet up the awareness of the situation and maximise the pressure on China.

Here are some suggestions to start you thinking about how you could participate; we would especially like to see Groups take to the streets and let their voices be heard!

1. Protest at Embassies and Consulates:
(SFT are already planning to protest on 13 July in numerous cities around the world)
- Play Tibetan music at your protest as an antidote to China's "red songs" campaign.
- Promote and distrubute the "17 Points of Disagreement: 60 Years of China's Failed Policies in Tibet" report and deliver copies to Chinese embassies in your country.

2. Political theatre or "flashmob" in a public place:
Note: a "flashmob" is where a group of people come together to stage a short activity and then disperse.
- Have your flashmob participants sing a song, hold placards representing Kardze's protestors, or do some brief street theatre. Visualize the repression at Kirti Monastery by dressing supporters as monks and soldiers.

3. Outdoor Action Booth or Information Point:
- Use a laptop and mobile internet connection and ask people to take part in the online action or sign a petition.
- Hand out copies of the report "17 Points of Disagreement: 60 Years of China's Failed Policies in Tibet"

4. Other suggestions:
- Contact Beijing embassies and urge that no diplomats endorse China's propaganda events in Lhasa.
- Write to elected representatives urging they press China to admit journalists and observers to the closed parts of Tibet.
- Send out the updated Sample press release.
- Arrange a cultural event or use social networking to promote Tibetan music;
http://www.ihearttibet.org/music-from-tibet/ <http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=r3l%2BP4fvQVsgKHQ%2F4I2UMTn4s0C5gokl>

In the coming week we will provide Groups with further materials and resources. In the meantime, we'd like to hear from every Group about their plans, so we can support you in the best possible way.

Reports, Kardze
RFA - 3 Detained in Kardze, http://www.rfa.org/english/news/tibet/kardze-06292011174858.html -
ICT - http://www.savetibet.org/media-center/ict-news-reports/dozens-tibetans-imprisoned-new-wave-kardze-demonstrations-protest-lhasa-kardze-monk)

Reports, Ngaba