Auth requirement for preview files

Olga Bulat

Oct 21, 2021, 2:11:51 PM10/21/21
to Freesound API
Hi,
Thank you for creating such a great platform for creative people around the world to share their creations, and find resources for them to reuse!
I am Olga Bulat from Openverse (formerly CC Search). We are currently working on adding search for CC-licensed audio on top of the existing image search. We hope to add audio player, too.
The API documentation says that preview audio files also require authentication. However, we found that they can be played even without authentication. This is an example I tried in Safari, not logged in: https://freesound.org/data/previews/415/415362_6044691-hq.mp3 . Will the preview require authentication as stated in the API docs, or will it be possible to access them without it?

Frederic Font Corbera

Oct 22, 2021, 5:26:56 AM10/22/21
to freeso...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olga,

Nice to hear that. I've been previously in contact with some people from CC Search and discussed options to add Freesound integration.
Previews themselves do not require authentication, but you need authentication to get the URLs for the previews. Maybe this is not clear on the docs. Can you point me to the place in the docs where confusion is?

Thanks!

frederic

--
Frederic Font - ffont.github.io
Music Technology Group, UPF - mtg.upf.edu

--

---