Radioactive Genocide against Children of Iraq

news.omega

Oct 16, 2007, 3:15:58 AM10/16/07
to freepa...@googlegroups.com
Informant: fernwoods7

AMERICA'S GREATEST CRIME IS RADIOACTIVE GENOCIDE

Allen L Roland's Radio weblog
October 13, 2007

America's greatest crime against humanity is radioactive genocide
particularly against the children of Iraq who are the innocent victims
of our illegal war, occupation and economic rape of Iraq ~ We have the
blood of countless innocent children on our hands and it will take
generations to remove the stain of our illegal and inhumane
transgressions : Allen L Roland

Currently, more than 50 percent of Iraqi cancer patients are children
under the age of 5, up from 13 percent. Children are especially
vulnerable because they tend to play in areas that are heavily polluted
by depleted uranium.

America's greatest crime against humanity is radioactive genocide, and
prepare to be shocked when you see the pictures of these maimed and
disfigured Iraqi children ~ who are the innocent victims of our illegal
war, occupation and economic rape of Iraq. http://tinyurl.com/adoq2
<http://tinyurl.com/adoq2>

We have the blood of countless innocent children on our hands and it
will take generations to remove the stain of our illegal and inhumane
transgressions.

Allen L Roland
http://blogs.salon.com/0002255/2007/10/12.html
<http://blogs.salon.com/0002255/2007/10/12.html>

photos: Dr. Jenan Hassan
http://www.uruknet.info/?p=37167 <http://www.uruknet.info/?p=37167>

Entire article below:

Nothing depleted about 'depleted uranium' Abel Bult-Ito
January 21, 2006

Iraqi and visiting doctors, and a number of news reports, have reported
that birth defects and cancers in Iraqi children have increased five- to
10-fold since the 1991 Gulf War and continue to increase sharply, to
over 30-fold in some areas in southern Iraq. Currently, more than 50
percent of Iraqi cancer patients are children under the age of 5, up
from 13 percent. Children are especially vulnerable because they tend to
play in areas that are heavily polluted by depleted uranium.

The Pentagon has been using radioactive weapons for at least a decade
and a half with full complicity of at least three White House
administrations and Republican and Democratic congressional legislators.
Conservatively, at least 300 tons and 1,700 tons of depleted uranium
were used in the Gulf War and the current Iraq War, respectively. This
is about 70 grams of depleted uranium per Iraqi citizen, and if inhaled
or ingested, it is enough to kill them all.

Is this not radioactive genocide, especially when our troops used and
continue to use most of the depleted uranium munitions in densely
populated areas such as Baghdad and Fallujah? Depleted uranium has a
half-life of billions of years. Consequently, Iraq will be a wasteland
forever and essentially uninhabitable for anyone.

After the 1991 Gulf War, about 1 in 4, or 150,000, U.S. veterans came
down with what is referred to as "Gulf War Syndrome." Most of the
ailments characteristic of Gulf War Syndrome are consistent with
radiation or heavy-metal poisoning. Veterans' children are now also born
with higher proportions of birth defects and other genetic disorders,
according to sporadic accounts. The Pentagon continues to deny the
harmful effects of depleted uranium or its role in Gulf War Syndrome.

As described by a report of the World Health Organization Depleted
Uranium Mission to Kosovo, uranium can be found in rocks and soil and
contributes to natural background levels of radioactivity. Depleted
uranium is a waste product of uranium enrichment for nuclear reactors
and is about 60 percent as radioactive as naturally occurring uranium.
Depleted uranium is considered weakly radioactive.

Nevertheless, depleted uranium is considered nuclear waste and has to be
disposed of accordingly, which is expensive and a potential
environmental hazard. The nuclear industry must be very pleased the U.S.
military has found a way to get this stuff off their hands cheaply.

Depleted uranium is really a misnomer, because the potentially harmful
effects are by no means depleted. Research reports have found that when
depleted uranium is ingested or inhaled, it can cause cancers and birth
defects. It has considerable heavy-metal toxicity.

As stated in the WHO report, because of its high density, depleted
uranium is used in armor-piercing ammunition and as reinforcement
against conventional weapons. Upon impact, the depleted uranium
fragments burn at intense heat, and 10 to 35 percent of it becomes
aerosolized. This aerosolized uranium "dust" is the most harmful
component because it can easily be ingested or inhaled.

Wind and people walking through it also easily disperse the depleted
uranium dust. This dust is a predominant byproduct of military use of
depleted uranium, in contrast to, for example, exposures in uranium
mines or nuclear reactors.

Our troops in Iraq will be severely affected by this radioactive war,
not only because a lot more depleted uranium has been used and continues
to be used, but also because they have been there a lot longer than
during the Gulf War. Hundreds of thousands of our troops will come down
with Gulf War Syndrome as a result of depleted uranium poisoning, and
thousands will die from it. Thousands of their children will be born
with genetic diseases, cancers and birth defects.

The continued use of depleted uranium harms our own troops and innocent
civilians exposed to our war machine, is un-American, and a crime
against humanity. We need a worldwide ban on depleted uranium use.

You have probably noticed Fairbanks Daily News-Miner staff writer's
reports as an "embedded journalist" with the 172nd Stryker Brigade
Combat Team in Mosul, Iraq. Her "feel-good" stories do not tell you the
reality of what is happening in Iraq. Will she report on depleted
uranium poisoning as a result of heavy U.S. bombing of Mosul?

Sadly, she and those of the 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, if they
survive the war, will have a high chance of coming down with Gulf War
Syndrome. How much support do you think they will then get from our
government or their employers?

Abel Bult-Ito is an associate professor of biology at the University of
Alaska Fairbanks and is a member of the Fairbanks Coalition for Peace
and Justice.

Photos of Babies Deformed at Birth as a Result of Depleted Uranium (DU) 2003

photos: Dr. Jenan Hassan
http://www.uruknet.info/?p=37167 <http://www.uruknet.info/?p=37167>

:: The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Uruknet .