URGENT ACTION: 9 Bulls in Trap at Duck Creek

news.omega

May 22, 2008, 4:44:36 AM5/22/08
to freepa...@googlegroups.com
Nine bull bison are currently in the Duck Creek bison trap, located
just outside of Yellowstone's western boundary. The Department of
Livestock says they intend to send these bulls to slaughter.

According to an email received from Yellowstone National Park today,
"The park's current best estimate for the bison population remains
between 2300 and 2100, with the lower end of that estimate probably
being the most realistic."

This drastic blow to the bison is a result of a combination of
intense slaughter, hunting, quarantine, winter kill and highway
mortalities, and the population cannot sustain any more slaughter.

URGENT ACTION IS NEEDED if we are to save the lives of these bulls.
Please contact the following Montana decision-makers and urge them to
let the bulls go!

* Marty Zaluski, Montana State Vet #406-444-0782
* Hal Harper, Governor Schweitzer's Chief Policy Advisor #406-444-5546
* Mike Volesky, Governor Schweitzer's Policy Advisor for Natural
Resources #406-444-7857

In mid-April, Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer announced in a press
conference that NO MORE buffalo would be sent to slaughter this
season. A few days later, the DOL sent three bull bison to their
deaths. Due to the winter's severe slaughter and the uncertainty of
winter kill bison, the population may well be below 2,100. Under the
Interagency Bison Management Plan, the agencies are supposed to use
non-lethal methods when the population is at or below 2,100 animals.

We must INSIST THAT THEY DO NOT SLAUGHTER THESE BULLS!

Please spread the word to save the herds! Contact the
decision-makers above, and please send this email to all your
friends, family, colleagues and co-workers. We stopped the slaughter
of 300 bison last year, and we can save the lives of these nine bulls
if we keep the pressure on.

Roam Free!
Buffalo Field Campaign