A war-free future is entirely possible

news.omega

Jan 23, 2008, 3:44:01 AM1/23/08
to freepa...@googlegroups.com
[ufpj-news]

I got the following letter to the editor published this Monday…

Debbie

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Online <http://www.jsonline.com>

www.jsonline.com <http://www.jsonline.com> | Return to regular view
<http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=709268>

*Original Story URL:*
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=709268
<http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=709268>

*/Your Opinions/*

From Journal Sentinel readers

*****

*PEACE*

*A war-free future is entirely possible*

I loved Kathie Leemon's letter, "America must change its tactics," and I
wonder why more people who advocate for peace do not see that our most
vital mission is to educate people about how we can end war (Jan. 12).

Short sighted people think war will be with us forever. It doesn't have
to be that way if the world's nations outlaw it and back that up with an
international force to keep the peace. Such a force could be set up by
strengthening the United Nations or transforming the North Atlantic
Treaty Organization. Nations that attempted to wage war then would be
seen as pariahs to be dealt with by the world community.

Equally vital is the role of international courts in trials for rogue
warring leaders. More than 100 countries already have signed on to the
International Criminal Court, which tries leaders of egregious crimes
against humanity.

This is a terrific start. Look at the former enemies within the European
Union who are now learning to live together in peace.

The "realists" who think brute force rules the world have failed
miserably, creating more hatred while countries with nuclear weapons
approach collapse. It is time for those of us who see the oneness of
humanity to elect leaders who will guide future generations
intelligently and humanely into a war-free destiny.

*Debbie Metke*
/Milwaukee/

*By the way, this idea isn’t something I dreamed up. Below are a
few quotes from others, much more impressive than me…*

*Debbie*

What We Support <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/wfc.html>
Membership <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/wfapp3.htm>
E-mail Options <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/email.html>
Forum Dialogue <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/forum/index.php>
Letters Project <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/wfadvocacy.php>
Action Alerts <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/action_alerts.html>
Contact <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/contact.html>
National and International <http://www.vcn.bc.ca/wfcvb/links.html>

*What Leaders Say About Global Governance*

We have the opportunity to forge... a New World Order, a world where the
rule of law, not the law of the jungle, governs the conduct of nations.
- George H.W. Bush

We must establish a rule of law, a world rule of law. We have to realize
that the world needs policemen who serve the interests of all mankind.
- Ramsey Clark

Resolve that to insure world peace and disarmament among nations, we
United Methodist of the Rocky Mountain Conference urge the President and
the Congress of the United States, in concert with all other willing
nations, to call a World Constitutional Convention to reform the United
Nations into a federal, representative world government.
- United Methodist Church, 1983, Rocky Mountain Conference

Details are not crucial; the important point is to find a plan for peace
that would be both effective and generally acceptable. If a sufficient
effort is made, the effective wisdom of mankind can find the right
combination.
- Professor Louis Sohn, Co-author, World Peace Through World Law

It will be just as easy for nations to get along in a republic of the
world as it is for us to get along in the republic of the United States.
- Harry S. Truman

Who can limit the extent to which the federative principal may operate
effectively?
- Thomas Jefferson

World Federalists hold before us the vision of a unified mankind living
in peace under a just world order. ..The head of their program -
- a world under law -
- is realistic and attainable.
- U Thant, U.N. Secretary-General

If we want peace, we must reform, restructure and strengthen the United
Nations.
- Dr. John Logue, 1985, Director, Common Heritage Institute

Any scientist can testify that a dead ocean means a dead planet ... No
national law, no national precautions can save the planet. The ocean,
more than any other part of our planet ... is a classic example of the
absolute need for international, global action.
- Thor Heyerdahl

There is no salvation for civilization, or even the human race, other
than the creation of a world government.
- Albert Einstein, Scientist

It is obvious that no difficulty in the way of a world government can
match the danger of a world without it. -Carl Van Doren

We are convinced that a comprehensive system of security is at the same
timea system of universal law and order ensuring the primacy of
international law in politics.
- Mikhail Gorbachev, Soviet General Secretary, Article in Pravda,
September 17, 1987

The only security for Americans today, or for any people, is in the
creation of a system of world order that enables nations to retain
sovereignty over their own cultures and institutions, but that creates a
workable authority for regulating the behavior of nations in their
relationships with one another.
- Normal Cousins, President, World Federalist Association

I want to see a fundamental objective of the foreign policy of the
United States to be that of supporting and strengthening the United
Nations and to seek its development into a federation of all the nations.
- Hubert Humphrey

We need first and foremost a world democracy, a government of this
planet for the people and by the people. But the problem is so colossal
and unprecedented that few political thinkers even dare to consider it.
They feel more at ease discussing the number and strength of missiles.
Since government and institutions are so slow and reluctant to do it, we
must build the world community through individual commitment and action.
- Robert Muller, Former U.N. Assistant Secy.-Gen., Chancellor,
University for Peace

If the rule of law is to govern the community of states and protect it
against violations of the international public order, it can only be
satisfactorily established by the promulgation of an international penal
code and by the permanent functioning of an international criminal
jurisdiction.
- Richard Alfaro, 1950, Former President of Panama

Institutions are what nations make of them. If the rule of law is to
replace anarchy, international law involves surrender of a certain
amount of sovereignty.
- Vernon A. Waiters, U.N. Representative for U.S.A.

There must be, not a balance of power, but a community of power; not
organized rivalries, but an organized common peace.
- President Woodrow Wilson

The Federal Republic of Germany has declared in its Constitution its
willingness to transfer sovereign rights to supranational organizations
and it has placed international law above national law. This expresses
the realization that the sovereignty of the individual and of nations
can be secured only in larger communities.
- Willy Brandt, Chancellor of West Germany <!--[if
!supportLineBreakNewLine]-->

Unless some effective supranational government can be set up and brought
quickly into action, the prospects of peace and human progress are dark
and doubtful.
- Winston Churchill

We have reached a turning point in human history where the best option
is to transcend the limits of national sovereignty and to move toward
the building of a world community in which all sectors of the human
family can participate. Thus we look to the development of a system of
world law and a world order based upon transitional federal government.
- Human Manifesto II

The world no longer has a choice between force and law. If civilization
is to survive, it must choose the rule of law.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

This planet is in bad political shape and is administered appallingly.
An outer-space inspection team would undoubtedly give us an F (failure)
or a triple D (dumb, deficient and dangerous) in planetary management.
Our world is afflicted by a good dozen conflicts almost permanently. Its
skies, lands and oceans are infested with atomic weapons which cost
humanity $850 Billiona year, while so many poor people are still dying
of hunger on this planet. And yet, I have seen the UN become universal
and prevent many conflicts. I have seen the dangerous decolonization
page turned quickly and with infinitely less bloodshed than in Europe
and the Americas in preceding centuries. I have seen a flowering
expansion of international cooperation in 32 UN specialized agencies and
world programs.
- Robert Muller, Former U.N. Assistant Secy.-Gen.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
- Christ in the Sermon on the Mount

I am convinced that the Great Framer of the World will so develop it
that it becomes one nation, so that armies and navies are no longer
necessary. I believe at some future day the nations of the earth will
agree upon some sort of congress which will take cognizance of
international questions of difficulty and whose decisions will be as
binding as the decisions of our Supreme Court are upon us.
- President Ulysses S. Grant

The United States ... is the heir of a western civilization which has
long been preoccupied with the art and science of government. If the
United States does not take the initiative, no one will.
- Albert Einstein

If we will not devise some greater and more equitable system, Armageddon
will be at our door.
- Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Sovereignty is the worse obstacle to the organization of peace ... The
federal principle is the only way forward.
- Lord Lothian, British Parliamentarian

You don't have to spend all your time discussing what weapons you are
going to be allowed to use to massacre millions of innocent people. An
entirely new piece of political machinery is needed. I want a federal
world authority for peace with justice throughout the world.
- Lord Beveridge

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. We
must think anew and act anew.
- Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President

Today the universal common good poses problems of world-wide dimensions
which cannot be adequately tackled or solved except by the effort of
public authorities endowed with a wideness of powers, structure and
means of the same proportion; that is ... on a world-wide basis.
- Pope John XXIII, "Pacem in Terris"

It was felt by the Statesmen who framed the Constitution, and by the
people who adopted it that it was necessary that many of the rights of
sovereignty which the States then possessed should be ceded to the
General Government.
- Chief Justice Taney, U.S. Supreme Court

What is called for is total disarmament -
- universal, enforceable and complete.
- John J. McCloy, Former U.S. Asst. Secretary of War

It is high time for humanity to accept and work out the full consequence
of the total global and interdependent nature of our planetary home and
of our species. Our survival and further progress will depend largely on
the advent of global visions and of global education in all countries of
the world.
- Robert Muller, U.N. Assistant Sec.-Gen.

The exercise by some nation-states of their unlimited right to lie,
assassinate, terrorize and wage war, and to justify these actions in the
name of "national security" causes man to despair for the future of our
planet. But there is a solution to this problem of international
anarchy: A common security system for all nations under enforceable
world law.
- Myron W. Kronisch, Campaign for U.N. Reform

The only basis for a peace system is a pooling of sovereignty for
supranational purposes, that is the creation of a common nationhood,
above but entirely separate from the diverse local nationhoods. -Philip
Henry Kerr, Marquis of Lothian; Surge Memorial Lecture, 1935

Why are we raising so insistently the question of a universal system of
international peace and security? Because we cannot reconcile ourselves
to the situation in which the world finds itself on the threshold of the
third millennium -threatened with destruction, in a state of constant
tension, an atmosphere of suspicion and discord, expending the enormous
resources, labor and talent of millions of people in order to increase
mutual mistrust and fear. People can talk as much as they like about the
need for halting the arms race and eliminating militarism, and about
cooperation, but nothing will change unless we start to act.
- Mikhail Gorbachev -Soviet General Secretary

We have nothing to lose except everything. So let's go ahead. This is
the wager of our generation. If we are to fail, it is better, in any
case, to have stood on the side of those who choose life than on the
side of those who are destroying it.
- Albert Camus, Author

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed; second,
it is violently opposed; third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
- Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher

For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see, saw the vision
of the world, and all the wonder that would be; Till the war-drum
throbb'd no longer, and the battle-flags were furl'd In the Parliament
of man, the Federation of the World.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson, "Locksley Hall," 1842

Mankind's desire for peace can be realized only by the creation of a
world government. With all my heart I believe that the world's present
system of sovereign nations can only lead to barbarism, war, and
inhumanity.
- Albert Einstein, Scientist

All mankind would be grateful for all time to the statesman who could
bring about a new structure of international society. -Theodore
Roosevelt, Former U.S. President

Science has made unrestricted national sovereignty incompatible with
human survival. The only possibilities are now world government or
death. – Bertrand Russell, Philosopher

Unless some effective supranational government can be set up and brought
quickly into action, the prospects of peace and human progress are dark
and doubtful.
- Winston Churchill, British Prime Minister

I truly believe that historians of the future will look back upon this
decade as the key turning point when the world conceived of itself for
the first time as a truly global civilization.
- Albert Gore, Vice President

Our goals are those of the U.N.'s founders, who sought to replace a
world at war with one where the rule of law would prevail, where human
rights were honored, where development would blossom, where conflict
would give way to freedom from violence.
- President Ronald Reagan

Government is the thing. Law is the thing. Not brotherhood, not
international cooperation, not security councils that can stop war only
by waging it...Where does security lie, anyway
- security against the thief, the murderer? In brotherly love? Not at
all. It lies in government.
- E.B. White

A federation of all humanity, together with a sufficient means of social
justice to ensure health, education, and a rough equality of
opportunity, would mean such a release and increase of human energy as
to open a new phase in human history.
- H.G. Wells, noted historian

I have long believed the only way peace can be achieved is through World
Government.
- Jawaharal Nehru, Former Prime Minister of India

The international community should support a system of laws to
regularize international relations and maintain the peace in the same
manner that law governs national order.
- Pope John Paul II

The goal of the World Federalists is peace through unity of government.
We must support their vision of oneness in diversity, for it is the
salvation of mankind.
- Jean Stapleton, Actress

My vision of a better world would be one under the control of a strong
United Nations, one that truly has the support of all countries in the
world. Only an effective world government could provide sufficient law
and have the power to control the unboundaried destructive forces of
pollution and war. I will continue to be a leader in the World
Federalist Association.
- Lloyd Bridges, Actor

For nearly five decades the World Federalists have worked to promote a
strengthened UN and more effective institutions of global governance. I
offer my personal endorsement. Now a great opportunity has opened for
the realization of the dreams of the UN's founders.
- Walter Cronkite

World Government is not only possible, it is inevitable; and when it
comes, it will appeal to patriotism in its truest, in its only sense,
the patriotism of men who love their national heritages so deeply that
they wish to preserve them in safety for the common good.
- Peter Ustinov, Renowned Actor

Once again the United Nations is poised to be an instrument for positive
change in a disorderly world.We must do more than talk about a new world
order, we must seize the opportunities before us.
- President William Jefferson Clinton

We have a choice. Humanity either can learn to manage the risks of
living together under a law system or can prepare to die together under
the war system.
- Myron W. Kronisch, Campaign for U.N. Reform

We must create world-wide law and law enforcement as we outlaw
world-wide war and weapons.
- President John F. Kennedy

If we do not want to die together in war, we must learn to live together
in peace.
- President Harry S. Truman

I do feel that some minimum of global government to abolish war and to
cope with pollution, is absolutely necessary.
- Arnold Toynbee, Historian

The central task of our time is to evolve a new system of world order
based on principles of peace and justice.
- Richard Falk, Princeton University

World government is not an "ultimate goal" but an immediate necessity.
In fact, it has been overdue since 1914. The convulsions of the past
decades are the clear symptoms of a dead and decaying political system.
- Emery Reves, The Anatomy of Peace

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

World federation is an idea that will not die. More and more people are
coming to realize that peace must be more than an interlude if we are to
survive; that peace is a product of law and order; that law is essential
if the force of arms is not to rule the world.
- William O. Douglas, Former U.S. Supreme Court Justice

- thanks to Debbie Metke for collection of quotes