Fluoride: The Silent Killer

news.omega

Nov 4, 2007, 1:53:29 PM11/4/07
to freepa...@googlegroups.com
http://canadawatch.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&Itemid=57
<http://canadawatch.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&Itemid=57>

Fluoride, the Silent Killer PDF
<http://canadawatch.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=544>
Print
<http://canadawatch.org/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=57>
E-mail
<http://canadawatch.org/index2.php?option=com_content&task=emailform&id=544&itemid=57>

John Yiamouyiannis, Ph.D.
November 03, 2007

/Dr. Yiamouyiannis received his Ph.D. in biochemistry from the
University of Rhode Island and served his post-doctoral fellowship at
the Western Reserve University School of Medicine. He then became editor
at Chemical Abstracts Service, the world's largest chemical information
center, where he first became aware of the health damaging effects of
fluoride. He is the former science director of the National Health
Federation; he is the executive director of Health Action and president
of the Safe Water Foundation. He is a world-leading authority on the
biological effects of fluoride and is responsible for ending the use of
fluoride in many areas of the United States and abroad./

*HARMFUL EFFECTS OF FLUORIDE* Fluoride is used as an insecticide and a
roach killer. Even at the level they use to fluoridate your public water
supply, usually at the rate of about 1 part fluoride for every million
parts of water (1 ppm) by weight, it causes severe problems. As little
as one-tenth of an ounce of fluoride will cause death. It is more
poisonous than lead and just slightly less poisonous than arsenic. No
one will die from drinking one glass of fluoridated water, but it is the
long term chronic effects of drinking fluoridated water that affects
health. Dental fluorosis is one of the earlier signs of fluoride
poisoning, appearing in mild cases as a chalky area on the tooth, and in
more advanced cases, teeth become yellow brown or black and the tips
break off. Fluoride in the drinking water leads to fluoride levels in
tissues and organs which damage enzymes. This results in a wide range of
chronic diseases. Fluoride weakens the immune system and may cause
allergic type reactions including dermatitis, eczema and hives. It
causes birth defects and genetic damage. Fluoride is likely to aggravate
kidney disease, diabetes and hypothyroidism. The amount consumed in
drinking water has been shown to lower thyroid activity in humans. It
also causes the breakdown of collagen which results in wrinkling of the
skin and the weakening of ligaments, tendons and muscles. There are a
number of ways that fluoride can be administered. The most insidious way
is through the drinking water. Some of you have it in your mouthwashes,
or in your toothpaste, or you may take a /fluoride supplement/ which is
dispensed in pills or drops.

*FLUORIDE A BY-PRODUCT OF INDUSTRY* Fluoride is an industrial waste
product, a by-product of the aluminum industry and the /phosphate
fertilizer/ companies who have mountains of fluoride that is polluting
the ground water. They have to get rid of it, and the old solution to
pollution is dilution - just put it in the drinking water. People living
in the vicinity of aluminum, phosphate, steel, clay, glass and enamel
plants are exposed to high levels of fluoride in the air. For instance,
the Hamilton area shows extremely high lung cancer rates that decrease
as you get away from the downwind plume of the steel mills. If fluoride
was left with the phosphate and sold to farmers, it would kill their
crops. That is what originally happened when they used this high
fluoride phosphate, and the farmers said they were going back to manure.

*FLUORIDATED TOOTHPASTE* Unless it says on the package /does not contain
fluoride/, you are using fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoridated toothpaste
contains /1,000 ppm fluoride/. There is enough fluoride at 1,000 to
1,500 parts per million to kill a small child if they consume the entire
tube. If a child consumes just part of it, it could result in either
acute or chronic toxicity. A four to six year-old child will swallow 25
to 33% of the toothpaste they put on their toothbrush. Don't let them
put it in their mouth unless when they swallow it, it is good for them.
People ask me where they can get /non-fluoridated toothpaste/. They have
many brands of non-fluoridated toothpaste in health food stores, so pick
up your toothpaste there, and make sure it doesn't have fluoride,
because some health food stores have a couple of brands of fluoride
toothpaste. Not everything in a health food store is safe. Always read
the labels. Pepsodent toothpaste also doesn't have fluoride. If you want
something inexpensive, use baking soda and sea salt, but make sure you
dissolve the salt crystals in water before you brush your teeth;
otherwise the salt crystals will score the enamel.

*GUM DAMAGE* Fluoride actually causes gum damage at the concentrations
used in fluoridated toothpaste at 1,000 ppm. Fluoride poisons enzyme
activity and slows down the ability of the gums to repair themselves. If
you brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste, you will suffer gum
damage.

*FLUORIDE GELS AND SOLUTIONS* Some schools have weekly fluoride
mouth-rinse programs in which the children swish fluoride solutions
around in their mouths. The fluoride comes in a sugar size packet, and
on the outside of the packet it says /fatal if swallowed/. If your child
is in any of these programs at school, get them out of it. We have
testimonials one after the other of children who come home with a
stomach ache because they had actually accidentally swallowed part of
it, and children do accidentally swallow. Fluoride treatments at the
dentist's office are equally hazardous. In the typical fluoride
treatment, /10,000 parts per million fluoride/, which comes in a
flavoured gel to make it taste good, is left on the teeth for about five
minutes. Then the child spits it out, though invariable he swallows
some. The child cannot rinse, eat or drink for at least half an hour
afterward. Children have died after swallowing fluoride topically
applied on their teeth. In one well publicized case, the dental
hygienist neglected to tell the child to wash his mouth out and spit out
the solution. The child began vomiting and sweating and died the same
day. Over 6% of children receiving fluoride treatments at the dental
office suffer gastrointestinal distress such as nausea, vomiting,
diarrhea and abdominal pain either immediately or within one hour after
treatment. According to scientists at the U.S. Public Health Service,
topical fluoride is practically ineffective in reducing tooth decay, and
damages gum tissue. According to the American Association for the
Advancement of Science, "the high concentrations of some products (gels,
mouthwash, tablets, toothpaste, etc.) may be neither biologically
desirable nor clinically necessary".

*FLUORIDE SUPPLEMENTS* Tablets and drops are another means of
administering fluoride. The Canadian Dental Association has admitted in
the last couple of years that children under the age of three should not
be given fluoride supplements. And yet dental practitioners and
pediatricians who haven't kept up to date are still giving fluoride
supplements to young children. I advise against fluoride supplements for
anyone.

*ADDITION OF FLUORIDE TO PUBLIC WATER SYSTEMS* The addition of fluoride
to the public water supply is the most insidious way of chronically
poisoning hundreds of millions of people around the world. Dr. Dean Burk
was former chief chemist of the National Cancer Institute, and has
co-authored studies with many Nobel prize winners including Otto
Warburton, and he is the co-author of the most cited paper in the entire
field of biochemistry - the Lineweaver-Burk Enzyme Kinetics. In the
1970s, Dean Burk and I conducted a number of studies which linked
fluoride and cancer. There was already scientific evidence from the
1950s that fluoride was causing cancer, and a 1963 study by Driscowitz
and Norton showed that increased fluoride concentrations in the media of
experimental animals increased tumour incidence from 12% at the lowest
concentrations up to 100%. Taylor and Taylor published a study in 1965
at the University of Texas in all the mainline medical journals showing
that 1 ppm or even 0.5 ppm increased tumour growth rate by 25%. These
studies bothered me and around 1975 I found that we had enough data to
compare the cancer death rate before and after fluoridation of
fluoridated communities and compare them to non-fluoridated communities.
Based on millions of subjects, the study showed a 5 to 10% increase in
cancer death rate within three to five years after fluoridation was put
into the water after correcting for various demographic factors like
age, race and sex. All the variables were controlled. We followed this
by a series of other studies. In 1977 we had full blown Congressional
Hearings, and Congress stated: "We can no longer assure the American
public that fluoride does not cause cancer". Dean Burk and other
well-known scientists were there, and on the opposing side was the
American Dental Association. Ten years later, Proctor and Gamble, makers
of Crest toothpaste found that fluoride was causing precarcinogenic
changes in cells.

*HOW FLUORIDE AFFECTS THE DNA REPAIR MECHANISM* Epidemiological evidence
shows that fluoride causes cancer. It does this in several ways. It can
actually cause the original lesion. In each one of our cells we have
genetic material called DNA, and this DNA is double stranded, it has a
helix shape and these two strands of DNA are held together by semi
strong bonds called hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds also hold proteins
together. /Fluoride goes in and breaks those hydrogen bonds, and
consequently destabilizes DNA./ It can't cause a lesion in the DNA
itself, but if it is in a site of the cell that regulates cell growth,
it will cause uncontrolled cell growth. A few minor modifications will
give you first a tumour, and secondly an invasive
ell that regulates cell growth, it will cause uncontrolled cell growth.
A few minor modifications will give you first a tumour, and secondly an
invasive tumour or cancer. So fluoride has the ability to actually cause
the cancer. We have a marvelous system of repair and rejuvenation. Even
if we go out in the sun, even if we have a lesion by fluoride itself, we
have what is called a /DNA repair enzyme system/. So any lesion caused
by the sun or ultra-violet light will be repaired. The DNA repair enzyme
system will cut off the ends and use the complementary strand to repair
itself and make intact genetic material. The unfortunate thing is that
one part per million fluoride, the amount of fluoride that they use in
the public water system, depresses the DNA repair system by 50%. So they
have attacked us on the first defense of damage to our genetic material.
Since people can get cancer from so many different causes, fluoride is
just increasing our chances of getting cancer.

*THE IMMUNE SYSTEM* Even if the cancer cell starts dividing and invading
surrounding tissues, if our immune system is strong enough, it will kill
those cancer cells without any remedies, without chemotherapy, without
anything and will destroy the occasional cancer that maybe all of us
have had at one time or another. Once in a while cancer breaks through
when the immune system is low or the DNA repair enzyme system is down,
and we will get cancer. Fluoride causes the lesion; it inhibits the DNA
repair enzyme, and then inhibits our immune system by 30 to 70%. And
that occurs at only one part per million. How does it do that? Our
immune system is composed of white blood cells including phagocyte cells
that are carried in the blood system. If there is an infection or cancer
or some foreign agent, these phagocytes will go to that area and start
engulfing and destroying this bad agent whether it is a cancer cell or a
bacterium or virus. It engulfs it in a little pocket called a /lysosome/
which squirts enzymes and breaks down the bad agent into little pieces.
They have other things called peroxisomes which burn that agent with
free radicals and either destroy it or use it for building new and
healthy cells. These phagocytes will actually eat up bacteria or
viruses, and toxic substances are just thrown off. Studies from the
University of Glasgow show that fluoride inhibits these white blood
cells. Fluoride at levels below one part per million causes a chronic
release of these free radicals from the white blood cell out into the
blood stream where it starts slowly damaging your body by increasing
free radicals. This is one of the reasons why we call fluoride /the
ageing factor/.

*NON-FLUORIDATED WATER* Industrial quality reverse osmosis water brings
the total dissolved solids down to less that one part per million for
all the pollutants that might be in there. /Distilled water/ will remove
99% of the fluoride all of the time. I also recommend a pre-charcoal
filter on a distiller to remove volatiles so that you are not getting
noxious gases in your home. These are worse when you inhale them than
when you drink them, because they go right into your blood stream and
into your lungs. You can buy your water at the supermarket, but quite
frankly you don't know what the quality of the water is. You must take
care that the fluoride concentration is less than 0.2 ppm. Some spring
waters like Vichy (which contains 8 ppm) are notoriously high in
fluoride. Avoid beverages such as soft drinks, beer and fruit juices
from concentrate that have been bottled in fluoridated areas. /Teas/,
even brewed in fluoride-free water will contain about 1.2 to 2.4 ppm
fluoride. Some people drink 8 to 15 cups of tea a day, and these amounts
are large enough to cause dental fluorosis and other harmful effects.

*MINERALS IN WATER* If you want to get minerals, you must get them in
the proper balanced ratio. Calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and other
minerals must be in a ratio that is acceptable to a living organism. Get
your minerals from healthy living organisms like vegetables, grains,
nuts and seeds, and if you are not a vegetarian, like meats, bones or
bonemeal. Beet greens are at the top of the list as a mineral
supplement. I don't recommend milk or dairy as a calcium source; cow's
milk has a very different constitution than human milk.

*DETOXIFICATION* If you stop taking fluoride, your body will get rid of
it eventually. The fluoride that gets stuck in your bones gets stuck
there for life pretty much, but that is not necessarily bad. Where
fluoride has adverse effects is in the soft tissues. If you take over
200 mg of vitamin C per day that is all you really need for removing
fluoride. In three to six months you should have about 99% of it out
which is good enough.

*GOOD DIET, NOT FLUORIDE, IS NECESSARY FOR HEALTHY TEETH* Many primitive
societies whose drinking water contains negligible amounts of fluoride
go through life without tooth decay because they eat very little sugar
and other refined carbohydrates.

*DOES FLUORIDE REDUCE TOOTH DECAY?* Numerous attempts have been made to
show that the amount of fluoride used to fluoridate public water systems
reduces tooth decay under laboratory conditions. Still no laboratory
study has ever shown that this amount of fluoride is effective in
reducing tooth decay. Further, there are no epidemiological studies on
humans showing that fluoridation reduces tooth decay that meet the
minimum requirements of scientific objectivity such as the double blind
design.

You may contact Dr. Yiamouyiannis at 614-548-5340. His book Fluoride:
The Aging Factor contains references to studies and information cited in
this article. His other book, High Performance Health is also available.

Source: Consumer Health Organization of Canada
<http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=19990303222823>

Informant: Dorothee Krien