<helpwin> command crashes Windows installation

Erich Unsung

Sep 1, 2013, 11:37:39 AM9/1/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I finally got ahead and installed Freemat on my Windows 7 (64bit) computer, And I also have used the path tool "add with subfolders" but
<helpwin> command make the Freemat 4.2 to chrash

The Help windows pops up, but it is greyed out and take no input, and Freemat crashes with a message and must be restarted,

The manual is in both pdf and html format in the path. (C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeMat\help).

What am I missing?

/Eric

Samit Basu

Sep 2, 2013, 2:48:34 PM9/2/13
to freemat
Does this happen to everyone?  Helpwin works for me on Win7.

John Yoepp

Sep 2, 2013, 4:53:24 PM9/2/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I have the same setup as Eric: Windows 7 64 bit and i get the same result with the helpwin command.
I also get the same result with the "help > Online Manual" menu item and the F1 function key.
The pdf and html files are installed and usable if i open them directly from windows explorer.
I also get the same result (crash) with with F2 "Help On Selection" function key in the editor.

John Yoepp

Gene Stuffle

Sep 2, 2013, 3:06:19 PM9/2/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
The same thing happens to me with 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

Dick Ricker

Sep 2, 2013, 7:10:45 PM9/2/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I have Windows XP SP3, running FreeMat 4.2 for Windows XP, released August 15, 2013

"helpwin" from the command line seems to work correctly, as does F1, and so does clicking on "Online Manual" under the "Help" tab.

John L

Sep 19, 2013, 6:23:48 PM9/19/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem with it crashing when trying to access the help manual. Running Windows 7 Profressional. Has anyone found a solution to the problem?

John

per-olof johansson

Dec 9, 2013, 5:32:43 AM12/9/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem on Windows 8 (8.1). Crashes as soon as I trie to open helpwin.
Any solution?

I can read the pdf-file, and i can find the html-files on hard drive. But I have not found oyt how to open the html-files. the pdt is huge and not easely surchable,,,

Jonathan Weaver

Dec 10, 2013, 8:33:00 AM12/10/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
It crashes on both of my PC's (Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit and Windows Vista, 32 bit).  I installed version 4.1 also as a result and use the help system there.  I find myself just using the 4.1 install only and even uninstalled 4.2 on the Vista machine.  I'd love to see a fix.

-Jonathan

Mikhail G

Dec 22, 2013, 12:16:27 AM12/22/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I have exactly the same issue; very annoying-freemat 4.2 crashes under windows 7 64 bit as I hit F1 or try use online help
MG

Mikhail G

Dec 22, 2013, 12:17:11 AM12/22/13
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Yes I have the same exact uissue at windows 7 64 bit; crashes as I hit F1

Mark Knecht

Nov 30, 2014, 4:18:06 PM11/30/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I just found FreeMat yesterday while looking for OS MatLab alternatives. I'm running it in both Gentoo Linux (Ver-4.1) and a Windows 7 VM. (Ver. 4.2) helpwin crashes 100% of the time in Windows but works fine in Linux.

Brett Brewer

Dec 1, 2014, 12:11:03 PM12/1/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same issue as Eric on Windows 7 64 bit.  Additionally, when I try to pull up help on a particular command/function (i.e. help sqrt), I get a message saying that there is no help available for the command.

I posted a thread of my own regarding this issue, but this seems to have more attention, so I will follow this one to see if a resolution comes along.

Jonathan Weaver

Dec 2, 2014, 10:38:49 AM12/2/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I've changed methodology since a year ago.  I've moved to 4.2 32 bit.  It runs on 64 bit Windows, but without the helpwin crashing issue.  I also have the 64 bit version installed, but that's mainly for testing.  I use the 32 bit version almost exclusively.

To me, the winhelp crash bug is the most significant bug I've run across.

Jonathan

Brett Brewer

Dec 2, 2014, 10:53:15 AM12/2/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
That's good to know!  Are you able to pull help files for particular commands within the command prompt as well ("help sqrt")?

Jonathan Weaver

Dec 3, 2014, 9:28:04 AM12/3/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Brett,

"help sqrt" appears to work in both the 64 bit and 32 bit Windows versions.  Most of the functions don't appear to have help in that way.  Referencing the help file and the freemat manual is how I get help generally.

-Jonathan

Brett Brewer

Dec 3, 2014, 11:11:57 AM12/3/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Perfect.  Thanks for the response after this thread being dead for so long, Jonathan.  I have switched over to the 32 bit version and it seems to work just fine.

-Brett

Mark Knecht

Dec 3, 2014, 1:59:48 PM12/3/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com