Installing Freemat 4.2 on Windows 7 64 bit

Brett Brewer

Dec 1, 2014, 12:03:58 PM12/1/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have just found Freemat within the last week or so and have found it helpful thus far.  However, when I went to use the helpwin feature, Freemat force closed on me, and when I try to call out for help documentation on a particular function within the command prompt (i.e. help sqrt) I get a message stating that there is no available help on the function.  I cannot imagine that this is the intended functionality and when I went digging into the documentation on the website (and also on this forum), it seems like there may be more to the installation than simply downloading and installing the latest Freemat 4.2 version.

Can anybody give me some guidance on the best way to get this all installed properly and pointing where it needs to be?

Thanks in advance,

-Brett

Mark Knecht

Dec 3, 2014, 1:59:07 PM12/3/14
to fre...@googlegroups.com
As another thread pointed out that is likely a 64-bit version problem. I uninstalled the 64-bit version and went to the 32-bit flavor. It works fine.

HTH,
Mark

Richard Holmqvist

Mar 25, 2015, 8:31:12 AM3/25/15
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!
On the download page http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemat/files/FreeMat4/ there are a lot of files to choose between. Which is the one with best probability to work properly on a HP Probook 6470b (which is a 64 bit machine)?
I have tried one file intended for 64-bit machines and one for 32. The 64-bit version crashed when I tried to start help, just as many people har reported. My trial with 32-bit version did not crash, but I got no cursor (prompt) so I could not do anything at all.  To me it seems surprising that a program which is so difficult (impossible so far) to install can get so impressive reviews.
With hope of some input that can alter my views
Richard

Jonathan Weaver

Mar 26, 2015, 8:30:41 AM3/26/15
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

I didn't have trouble installing at all.  My guess is something went wrong with the install / uninstall process of going from the 64 bit version to the 32 bit version.  I would try uninstalling both versions.  Then delete all of the registry keys under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FreeMat using the registry Editor.  And then install the 32 bit version again.  The file you should be using for the 32-bit version is FreeMat-4.2-Setup32bit.exe.  Or at least that's the one that works for me.

Good luck!

Jonathan