NEED HELP!!

jake.bl...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2016, 6:38:55 PM1/4/16
to freegeek-seattle
I'm currently trying to download lynux to a usb with UBUNTU for my mac. In hopes of running the open source program through my mac so I can start learning python. Obviously, I'm very new to the world of programming but am thoroughly enthralled by the opportunity. PLEASE HELP!

smarts

Jan 5, 2016, 10:14:31 PM1/5/16
to freegeek-seattle
Mac OS X comes with Python preinstalled. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE1wDsLzOJA

If you want to use Linux for specific features, but don't want to deal with formatting, try VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/).

...and as for putting Ubuntu on a flash drive from Mac OS X, another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2nDMgTMctg

Good luck!

Lee Fisher

Jan 6, 2016, 12:54:07 AM1/6/16
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

Unclear if you are using Mac OS X on your Apple hardware, to install
Python, or to install Ubuntu ("UBUNTU lynux") onto your Apple hardware.

If you use Ubuntu, Python is probably already installed, you should
use the Ubuntu package manager to install Python.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python

If you are using Mac OS X, it comes with a version of CPython. If you
want a newer version, you can download binaries from python.org:
https://www.python.org/downloads/mac-osx/
Depending on what you're learning, you might want to try Continum's
build of Python, which comes with Mac binary packages as well:
https://www.python.org/downloads/mac-osx/

If you have a low-end Apple box, running things in a VM might be slow.
If you are trying to install Linux onto Apple hardware, I'd first
install rEFInd boot manager, then it'll be easier to install Ubuntu or
another Linux distribution (or FreeBSD, etc.) onto your Apple box,
alongside or instead of Mac OS X. If you are new to installing Linux,
you might get someone to help you with this, the first time.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REFInd

Greater Seattle Linux User Group (GSLUG) has a mailing list, and they
sometimes offer install help for new Linux users.
http://gslug.org/

To learn Python, search for Seattle PIG, and Search on Meetup.com for
Python Seattle, there are a few groups you should probably join
that're more focused to your needs than FreeGeek Seattle list. And
there are a few core lists on Python.org to read the archives of.
There are multiple Python books available online free, multiple
courses online.

UW CDSW (Community Data Science Workshop) is a free 4-day (or so)
training for "data scientists" (i.e., people new to Python) every
other quarter or so, great way to learn Python locally. Search around,
they have an announce list, useful to find out when they're doing the
next one.

HTH

Lee Fisher

Jan 6, 2016, 1:09:19 AM1/6/16