ILUG Cochin Monthly Meeting on 28 December 2008

sreenadh

Dec 25, 2008, 10:15:41 PM12/25/08
to freedomwalk
Warm Greetings To The FOSS Community,

We are holding our regular meeting for this month on Sunday, 28th
December 2008.
(4th Sunday of every month)

The Details are as follows

Date : 28/12/2008, Sunday
Time : 2pm - 5:30pm
Venue :
Internet Club
IInd Floor, AMI Trust Bldg,
Broadway Enclave
Broadway,
Kochi-682031
i.e.
Behind Allappat Super Shoppe,
On top of SBT Treasury wing,

A Map showing the venue is available at :

http://www.ilug-cochin.org/content/view/31/

Feel Free to call the numbers below
for any further information
Tel:+91 9995717112 ( Coordinator )
Tel:+91 484 2374862 ( Venue )
Tel:+91 484 4025077 ( Venue )

Introduction to Free Software, Open Source and the GNU Movement.

We start of with our regular discussion on Free Software and related
topics.
This is important for new users.

Agenda : Free Software Education

This month we focus on one very important aspect, which is
the current state of the Free Software Education in Schools
in Kerala. We try to discuss the following important points:
- Free Software is just taught as another technology rather
than a "social movement".
- How the Free Software Community is still very far away from schools.
- Is Free Software really used to drive the creativity in the
growing generation.

We highlight the important aspect of Free Software being
taught as just another technology leaving out basic ideals behind
the social movement.

We also discuss about building a framework for teachers
and the free software community, providing the most
required support for teachers and enabling the people in
the community to make a living.

At the conclusion of the agenda, we try to bring out some
critical action items for the Free Software education in kerala.
We will also try to escalate these to the decision makers
thereby voicing the community's concern and support.

Technical Presentation : " Content Management System for Schools " by
Kurian

Since the meeting is focused on the education sector, we intend to
complete it with a presentation on a very powerful and flexible system
that
can be used in schools. Some advantages of a content management system
in schools :
- Alternative system for students to get a feel of the Web, without
an Internet connection.
- No concern for teachers regarding content, preventing the curbing
of students freedom.
- Flexible CMS applications are used for solutions within the school.
- Students can be exposed to the working of web based applications,
thereby triggering in them interest to hack these tools.

We will have an extensive Q&A Session after the Technical
Presentation,
as per the time limits.

The entire meeting is planned for teachers working in projects related
to Information Technology. Hence we expect a good turnout from the
teachers. We also expect that this meeting will help at least a little
bit to bridge the gap between the teachers and the free software
community.

We look forward to your participation for this exciting meeting!!!

Hoping to meet you all on Sunday

Thank You