11/09 -- US Midterm Elections: Republican "Red Wave" Hopes Fizzle; May you live in "expert times"

1 view

Thomas L. Knapp

Nov 9, 2022, 6:57:50 AM11/9/22
to Freedom News Daily
Freedom News Daily, 11/09/22
Presented by the Liberty International
https://liberty-intl.org/

Produced by the staff of Rational Review News Digest
https://news.rationalreview.com/

Today's Freedom News:

0)  Year-End Fundraiser Update: In Which I Exploit My Upcoming Birthday
1)  US Midterm Elections: Republican "Red Wave" Hopes Fizzle
2)  North Korea: Regime fires another missile as South salvages parts of Soviet-era weapon
3)  FL: Tropical Storm Nicole, on cusp of Category 1 hurricane, approaches
4)  Pakistan: Sharif asks for probes of Khan attack, journalist's killing
5)  Ukraine war: Zelenskyy "open to talks" with Putin, on his terms
6)  NY: Colgate University returning 1,500 artifacts to Oneida Indian Nation
7)  Canada: Trudeau accuses China of "aggressive" election interference
8)  Twitter engineer says he was fired for helping coworkers who faced layoffs
9)  Tesla recalls more than 40,000 US cars over possible loss of power steering
10) Winning Powerball ticket for $2.04 billion jackpot sold in California
11) Norway: Princess Leaves Royal Family to Marry American Shaman as Europeans "Don't Want" a Black Royal
12) US regime identifies American slain in Baghdad, questions remain
13) Notorious Nigerian fraudster Hushpuppi jailed for 11 years in US
14) AL: Homeowner shoots, critically wounds, intruder crawling in through window
15) US semiconductor ban targets highest of Chinese high tech
16) Uganda: Regime shortens school term by two weeks to curb Ebola
17) PA: Ballot fight could drag on long after Election Day
18) WI: Judge denies request to sequester military ballots following Milwaukee election official case
19) Macron urges France's big polluters to cut emissions by half
20) Nicaragua: Ruling party consolidates power with local "election" wins

Today's Freedom Commentary:

21) May you live in "expert times"
22) Biden's Embarrassing Social Security Tweet
23) No One Votes for Democracy
24) Freedom to Boycott Is Free Speech, Too
25) Cory Doctorow Wants You to Fight Big Tech
26) Avoiding Another Gettysburg
27) Election Day? Pick your poison
28) In Iran's protests, a hidden message made clear
29) Liberty, Freedom, and Sovereignty Aren't On Today's Ballot
30) Liberty and Loose Ends
31) Dems spent a fortune on fake news ahead of Election Day
32) The US military is operating in more countries than we think
33) No Such Thing As An Objective Journalist
34) The Anti-Russia Paranoia
35) Extreme Right in Netanyahu's Government Won't Dent Western Support
36) Refundability and transferability of the clean energy tax credits in the Inflation Reduction Act
37) The clock has run out on Democrats' chaotic closing midterm message
38) Extradition Clouds: The Duggan Case and the Chinese Angle
39) Elon Musk and the revenge of the gatekeepers
40) Voters Think Democrats Have Their Own "Extremism" Problem
41) If GOP Gets Its Way, Today Could Be Beginning of End for US Democracy [sic]
42) Cacophonocracy
43) Punching Fauci?
44) Dems are just pretending to care about crime and gas prices
45) Joe Biden Is the King of Debt and Deficits
46) Was there a Covid Response Plan? If So, Where Is It?
47) If You Wish the Iranian People Well, Stop Attacking Them with Sanctions
48) When Lying Becomes a Virtue, Civilization Declines
49) Already in a Hole, the Federal Reserve Keeps Digging
50) A Baker's Dozen[TM] reasons tomorrow's election will make little difference

Today's Freedom Podcast and Video:

51) Hubwonk, 11/08/22
52) The Bryan Hyde Show, 11/08/22
53) The Charles C.W. Cooke Podcast, episode 7
54) Rising, 11/08/22
55) Antiwar News with Dave DeCamp, 11/08/22
56) Serious Trouble, 110/07/22
57) Pod Save America, 11/07/22
58) Ted Snider on The Scott Horton Show
59) The Tom Woods Show, episode 2232
60) Cyberlaw Podcast, episode 429

vvvvv SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS vvvvv

SHOP ONLINE, GET A REBATE IN BITCOIN!
https://www.lolli.com/share/MZB4cCpheL

25 TEXAS HEROES, by TL and Helen Hulsey
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1947660535

THE WORLD'S EASIEST WAY TO INVEST IN BITCOIN
https://coinbitsapp.com/?ref=0RUAyB4cnVcKsaceTi2N

Tyranny Demands AN ACT OF SELF-DEFENSE: A NOVEL BY ERNE LEWIS
https://tinyurl.com/actofselfdefense

ONE IDENTITY FOR ALL YOUR CRYPTO
https://fioprotocol.io/

^^^^^ SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS ^^^^^

_____ Today's Freedom News _____

0)  Year-End Fundraiser Update: In Which I Exploit My Upcoming Birthday

THANK YOU to supporter LE (aka JC), whose $15 donation yesterday brings our year-end fundraiser total (as of 6am Eastern time) to $1,748.50!

That leaves us $826.50 short of our goal of $5,150 -- because once we've raised $2,575, support GL will "match funds" to cover the other half ...

... and tomorrow's my birthday. At my age (I'll be 56), I generally don't want to even notice my birthdays, but I'm not above using them to raise funds.

So, if you've been thinking about supporting the freedom movement's daily newspaper but haven't pulled the trigger yet, might I suggest a "birthday present" contribution of $5.60 or $56 or $560? Or heck, any amount that reflects how much you value our work. Thanks in advance!

https://news.rationalreview.com/support-rrnd

Yours in liberty,
Tom Knapp
Publisher
Rational Review News Digest / Freedom News Daily

PS: I live in north central Florida, and it looks like we're about to get another hurricane (or at least sub-hurricane tropical storm). As usual, if I lose electricity and/or Internet access for a little while, Steve will cover as best he can, and we will be "web-only" until I'm back.

-----

1)  US Midterm Elections: Republican "Red Wave" Hopes Fizzle
Source: NDTV [India]

"President Joe Biden's agenda hung in the balance early Wednesday as a predicted Republican wave failed to materialize in congressional elections fought against a backdrop of stubbornly high inflation and fears for US democracy. Tuesday's election saw a clearer verdict in races for states' governors with rising Republican star Ron DeSantis winning by a crushing margin in Florida, cementing his status as a top potential White House candidate in 2024. ... The election is 'definitely not a Republican wave, that's for darn sure,' Senator Lindsey Graham, a top Trump ally, told NBC News. Senator Ted Cruz, who had previously forecast a 'red tsunami,' still predicted Republicans would win both chambers but said, 'It hasn't been as big of a wave as I'd hoped it would be.'" [editor's note: Results in several of the "tossup" races for e.g. US Senate remain unclear; we'll pass on that information as it comes in – TLK] (11/09/22)

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/republican-red-wave-hopes-fizzle-in-us-midterm-vote-3503321

-----

2)  North Korea: Regime fires another missile as South salvages parts of Soviet-era weapon
Source: Reuters

"North Korea fired at least one ballistic missile into the sea on Wednesday, as South Korea said it had identified debris from an earlier launch as part of a Soviet-era SA-5 surface-to-air missile. Japan's Coast Guard said the ballistic missile appeared to have fallen into the sea minutes after the launch was reported. The missile flew to an altitude of up to 50 km, and covered a range of 250 km, Japan's Defence Minister Yasukazu Hamada told reporters. ... The launch came after South Korea concluded an analysis of what it had initially said was part of a North Korean short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) that landed near South Korean waters last week. The analysis, however, showed the piece, about 3 metres (3.3 yards) long and 2 metres wide, was part of an SA-5 anti-aircraft missile, the defence ministry said, citing its appearance and features." (11//09/22)

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/south-korea-salvages-parts-liquid-fuel-north-korean-short-range-missile-yonhap-2022-11-09/

-----

3)  FL: Tropical Storm Nicole, on cusp of Category 1 hurricane, approaches
Source: Miami Herald

"Tropical Storm Nicole, on the cusp of strengthening into a Category 1 hurricane possibly within hours, remained on track to cross the Bahamas Wednesday and slam much of Florida with pounding surf, high winds and heavy rain. Forecasters also shifted the track slightly south -- with potential landfall expected in the overnight hours near the Palm Beach-Martin County border -- though that could still change. But regardless of where the center crosses the state, the sprawling storm's wind field continued to grow overnight high winds and heavy rains will be felt hundreds of miles away -- with the worst conditions likely on its northern side." [editor's note: The current track's "northern side" includes my house, so if we go "web-only" for a day or two, it means I lost power/Internet access. Apologies in advance! TLK] (03/09/22)

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article268478102.html

-----

4)  Pakistan: Sharif asks for probes of Khan attack, journalist's killing
Source: Al Jazeera [Qatar state media]

"Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has asked the country's top judge to form judicial commissions to investigate the assassination attempt on his predecessor Imran Khan and the killing of a Pakistani journalist in Kenya. In a tweet on Tuesday night, Sharif said he has written two letters to Umar Ata Bandial, the chief justice of Pakistan's Supreme Court, requesting that he form a 'judicial commission to investigate Arshad Sharif's killing and attack on Imran [Khan].' ... Khan sustained bullet wounds in his leg last week during a rally in Wazirabad city in Pakistan's eastern province of Punjab. ... Investigative journalist Arshad Sharif was shot dead last month in Kenya's capital Nairobi after police reportedly opened fire on his vehicle. Kenyan authorities said they regretted the killing, calling it 'a case of mistaken identity.'" (11/09/22)

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/11/9/pakistan-pm-writes-to-top-judge-on-khan-attack-journalist-murder

-----

5)  Ukraine war: Zelenskyy "open to talks" with Putin, on his terms
Source: SFGate

"Ukraine's president has suggested he's open to peace talks with Russia, softening his refusal to negotiate with Moscow as long as President Vladimir Putin is in power while sticking to Kyiv's core demands. Volodymyr Zelenskyy's appeal to the international community to 'force Russia into real peace talks' reflected a change in rhetoric. In late September, after Russia illegally annexed four Ukrainian regions, he signed a decree stating 'the impossibility of holding talks' with Putin. But the preconditions the Ukrainian leader listed late Monday appear to be non-starters for Moscow, so it's hard to see how Zelenskyy's latest comments would advance any talks. Zelenskyy reiterated that his conditions for dialogue were the return of all of Ukraine's occupied lands, compensation for war damage and the prosecution of war crimes. He didn't specify how world leaders should coerce Russia into talks." (11/08/22)

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Zelenskyy-Talks-with-Russia-possible-on-17567189.php

-----

6)  NY: Colgate University returning 1,500 artifacts to Oneida Indian Nation
Source: SFGate

"Colgate University is returning to the Oneida Indian Nation more than 1,500 items once buried with ancestral remains -- a collection of culturally significant items that includes pendants, pots, bells and turtle shell rattles, some dating back 400 years. The 'funerary objects' were purchased in 1959 from the family of an amateur archaeologist who collected them from sites in upstate New York and have been housed at the university's Longyear Museum of Anthropology. Their repatriation ceremony will be held Wednesday at Colgate, which is located on the Oneida's ancestral territory. 'It's making things right again. It's correcting a wrong,' Oneida Indian Nation Representative Ray Halbritter said in an interview. 'The acquisition of these items, it's quite an indefensible practice. They've been absent. They're not where they should be ... on the land back with our people.'" (11/08/22)

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/University-returning-1-500-artifacts-to-Oneida-17567974.php

-----

7)  Canada: Trudeau accuses China of "aggressive" election interference
Source: BBC News [UK state media]

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has accused China of attempting to interfere in the country's elections. Mr Trudeau accused Beijing of playing 'aggressive games' with democracies and of targeting Canadian institutions. It comes as local media report that Canadian intelligence identified a 'clandestine network' of Beijing-backed candidates at recent elections. At least 11 candidates were supported by China in the 2019 federal elections, officials reportedly told Mr Trudeau. A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said it has 'no interest' in Canada's internal affairs. Citing unnamed intelligence officials, local broadcaster Global News reported that Beijing had directed funds to the candidates and that Chinese operatives had acted as campaign advisers to many candidates. In one case, funding of C$250,000 (£160,000) was directed through the office of an Ontario-based provincial MP." (11/08/22)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63551134

-----

8)  Twitter engineer says he was fired for helping coworkers who faced layoffs
Source: Reuters

"A former Twitter Inc engineer has accused the company of firing him days after it was acquired by Elon Musk because he developed a tool to allow workers to save important documents in anticipation of mass layoffs. The engineer, Emmanuel Cornet, filed a complaint with the U.S. National Labor Relations Board on Monday claiming he was engaged in protected activity when he shared the software on an internal Twitter messaging channel. 'Protected activities' are actions that workers can take without fear of employer retaliation under U.S. labor law. Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the complaint. Cornet, who was based in San Francisco, said in the complaint that he was fired on Nov. 1, a few days before Twitter began laying off about half of its 7,500 employees in a cost-cutting bid by Musk, the world's richest person." (11/08/22)

https://www.reuters.com/technology/twitter-engineer-says-he-was-fired-helping-coworkers-who-faced-layoffs-2022-11-08/

-----

9)  Tesla recalls more than 40,000 US cars over possible loss of power steering
Source: CNBC

"Tesla is voluntarily recalling 40,168 2017-2021 Model S and Model X vehicles that could experience a loss of power steering assist, according to a Nov. 1 filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration made public on Tuesday. The recall requires a software update that's pushed to the cars over the air. An October firmware release caused some vehicles to lose power steering when driving over bumpy roads and potholes. An estimated 1% of recalled vehicles have the defect, according to the release. ... Tesla had identified 314 vehicles with the problem as of the first of the month, but the company is not aware of any injuries or deaths, the release said." (11/08/22)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/08/tesla-recalls-40000-cars-over-possible-loss-of-power-steering-.html

-----

10) Winning Powerball ticket for $2.04 billion jackpot sold in California
Source: Fox News

"A jackpot-winning Powerball ticket was sold in California for the record $2.04 billion grand prize, according to lottery officials. Only one ticket matched all six numbers to claim the top prize. The winning numbers for Monday's drawing are: 10, 33, 41, 47 and 56, with the Powerball of 10. The grand prize has an estimated cash value of $997.6 million. One ticket sold in Florida won the Power Play Match for a cash value of $2 million. Twenty-three other tickets sold across the country won the Powerball Match for $1 million prizes. Monday evening's Powerball drawing was delayed for nearly 10 hours until Tuesday morning because a participating lottery had issues processing sales. The association said it was against its policy to say which lottery had the delay." (11/08/22)

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/winning-powerball-ticket-2-04-billion-jackpot-sold-california

-----

11) Norway: Princess Leaves Royal Family to Marry American Shaman as Europeans "Don't Want" a Black Royal
Source: The Daily Beast

"Claims of racism and scandal have ripped apart a royal family after one of the heirs fell in love with an American star. No, not that royal family. A Norwegian princess -- who is soon to marry a bisexual shaman from Hollywood -- has announced that she will leave her royal duties after an explosion of media interest in her love life. Princess Martha Louise, the eldest child of Norway's King Harald and Queen Sonja, made the announcement through a statement on the Norwegian royal family website, in which the palace thanked her for her service and said that while she will retain the title 'princess,' she cannot use it in conjunction with her upcoming marriage to Hollywood spiritual guru Durek Verrett. She was previously married to Ari Behn, with whom she had three children. Behn took his life in 2017." (11/08/22)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/norwegian-princess-martha-louise-leaves-royal-family-for-durek-verrett-an-american-shaman

-----

12) US regime identifies American slain in Baghdad, questions remain
Source: SFGate

"An American aid worker and language teacher who was fatally shot in central Baghdad was identified as 45-year-old Stephen Edward Troell, the U.S. Embassy based in the capital said Tuesday. Troell, a native of Tennessee, was killed by unknown assailants in his car as he pulled up to the street where he lived with his family in Baghdad's central Karrada district. It was a rare killing of a foreigner in Iraq, where security conditions have improved in recent years, even opening the door for tourism. The embassy said it was closely monitoring an investigation begun by Iraqi authorities, but declined to comment further out of respect for his mourning family, the embassy statement said. A State Department official said he was a private citizen with no connection to the government. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to go on the record." (11/08/22)

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/U-S-identifies-American-slain-in-Baghdad-17567808.php

-----

13) Notorious Nigerian fraudster Hushpuppi jailed for 11 years in US
Source: BBC News [UK state media]

"A notorious Instagram influencer from Nigeria has been jailed for more than 11 years in the US for his role in an international fraud syndicate. Hushpuppi, whose real name is Ramon Abbas, was also ordered to pay $1,732,841 (£1,516,182) in restitution to two victims. ... According to Don Alway, the assistant director in charge of the FBI's Los Angeles field office, Abbas had (behind the glitz of his account) become 'one of the most prolific money launderers in the world'. 'Abbas leveraged his social media platforms... to gain notoriety and to brag about the immense wealth he acquired by conducting business email compromise scams, online bank heists and other cyber-enabled fraud that financially ruined scores of victims and provided assistance to the North Korean regime,' Mr Alway said in a court document on Monday." (11/08/22)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-63542573

-----

14) AL: Homeowner shoots, critically wounds, intruder crawling in through window
Source: AL.com

"A man was critically wounded when police say he was shot while trying to break into a west Birmingham home. The burglary call went out at 12:45 a.m. Tuesday at a house on Avenue O. The homeowner told police the intruder was trying to crawl through the window of her house. She grabbed her gun and fired a couple of shots, striking the burglary suspect once in the chest. Authorities said the wounded man then ran a block to the Chevron on Bessemer Road where he collapsed at the front door of the store. ... He was then transported to UAB Hospital in very critical condition." (11/08/22)

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2022/11/suspected-intruder-shot-critically-wounded-as-he-tried-to-crawl-through-window-of-west-birmingham-house.html

-----

15) US semiconductor ban targets highest of Chinese high tech
Source: Christian Science Monitor

"Semiconductor chips are likened to the 'steel' of the modern digital economy -- tiny circuits vital to powering the processing of huge quantities of data. They're essential components of many electronics, from mobile phones and video games to supercomputers and high-tech drones. As such, the cutting-edge chips are at the center of the technological decoupling underway between China and the United States, with each country seeking greater security for their supply chains. In October, the U.S. broadly expanded restrictions on the export to China of advanced semiconductors and manufacturing equipment. It also stepped up restrictions on U.S. personnel and firms supporting Chinese chip making, while tightening export controls on Chinese entities involved with supercomputing." (11/08/22)

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2022/1108/US-semiconductor-ban-targets-highest-of-Chinese-high-tech

-----

16) Uganda: Regime shortens school term by two weeks to curb Ebola
Source: Reuters

"Uganda will shorten the school term by two weeks to reduce daily contact amongst students and help curb the spread of Ebola, the education minister said on Tuesday. Authorities have been struggling to contain the highly infectious and deadly haemorrhagic fever since the epidemic spilled into the capital Kampala, home to around two million people. As of Monday, the country had recorded a total of 135 confirmed cases and 53 deaths, according to the health ministry." (11/08/22)

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/uganda-shortens-school-term-by-two-weeks-curb-ebola-2022-11-08/

-----

17) PA: Ballot fight could drag on long after Election Day
Source: Fox News

"The legal fight in Pennsylvania over mail-in ballots with missing or incorrect dates could drag on for weeks after Election Day, forcing courts to make the final decision on whether thousands of votes can be counted. The battle is playing out in both in state and federal court against the backdrop of a very close U.S. Senate race that may decide control of the upper chamber. On one side are Democrat officials and activist groups who want to allow mail-in votes to count despite 'minor errors.' On the other are state, local and national Republican committees insisting on strict adherence to state law on how to fill out these ballots. 'Past experience tells us these kinds of things can drag on for what seems like an eternity,' Pennsylvania Republican Party general counsel Tom King told Fox News Digital." (11/08/22)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pennsylvania-mail-ballot-legal-fight-drag-long-after-election-day-thousands-votes-iimbo

-----

18) WI: Judge denies request to sequester military ballots following Milwaukee election official case
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

"On the eve of Tuesday's midterm election, a Waukesha County judge denied a request to block the immediate counting of military ballots, calling the step a 'drastic remedy' but also chiding the Wisconsin Elections Commission over its guidance to municipal clerks. ... The request from state Rep. Janel Brandtjen and a group that says it represents Wisconsin veterans came after three military absentee ballots arrived at Brandtjen's home in the names of voters who do not exist. A Milwaukee election official was fired and criminally charged last week with requesting the military ballots using fake names and having them sent to Brandtjen's home in Menomonee Falls. The actions of the former Milwaukee Election Commission deputy director, Kimberly Zapata, demonstrate 'a vulnerability in Wisconsin's military absentee ballot process,' reads a court document filed Friday by the Thomas More Society." (11/07/22)

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2022/11/07/lawsuit-asks-to-sequester-wisconsin-military-ballots-ahead-of-midterms/69624147007/

-----

19) Macron urges France's big polluters to cut emissions by half
Source: SFGate

"French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday urged the country's most climate-damaging industries to double their efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions within the next decade, one day after his call for action at the U.N. climate summit in Egypt. Macron convened a meeting Tuesday at the Elysee presidential palace in Paris with the heads of some 50 industrial sites in France, accounting for about 10% of France's total greenhouse gas emissions. He urged the 50 sites, owned by about 30 French and international groups, to cut by half their emissions within the next decade, from over 40 millions of tons of heat-trapping carbon dioxide released in the atmosphere to about 20 millions of tons. The industries include major producers of cement, steel, aluminum and other metals and chemicals. In exchange, the French state is ready to double its financial aid on condition another similar meeting in 2024 ensures the goal can be met, Macron said." (11/08/22)

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Macron-to-pressure-France-s-most-climate-damaging-17567109.php

-----

20) Nicaragua: Ruling party consolidates power with local "election" wins
Source: ABC News

"The Sandinista National Liberation Front completed its political domination of Nicaragua on Monday as electoral officials said it had won control of all the country's 153 municipalities in elections that critics called unfair. Coming into Sunday's elections, the party of President Daniel Ortega already controlled 141 of Nicaragua's municipalities. But having outlawed the country's main opposition parties and jailed dozens of opposition figures, the field was clear for the Sandinistas' sweep. They appeared to achieve de facto single-party status, wresting control of the last 12 municipalities that had been in the hands of other parties, though those groups were considered collaborationist by much of the exiled opposition." (11/07/22)

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/nicaraguas-governing-sandinistas-sweep-municipal-elections-92826419

_____ Today's Freedom Commentary _____

21) May you live in "expert times"
Source: The Hill
by Richard Weinstein, Jaspreet Rayat, Toby Chan & James Cooper

"An often cited proverb suggests that we would all be fortunate to 'live in interesting times.' While at first glance this would appear to be describing a golden age of society, a second look finds the sinister, hidden meaning that 'interesting times' are likely a curse. History shows us that periods of great turmoil and change are considerably more treacherous to humanity than periods of monotonous peace and stability. Certainly, the years of the COVID pandemic in many ways could be described as 'interesting,' providing verification of the proverb. Nevertheless, even the most interesting of seas can be traversed safely if expert captains pilot our ships. Perhaps our fear should not be that times are 'interesting,' but of the 'experts' who guide us through these extreme periods of social and political unrest." (11/08/22)

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/3718829-may-you-live-in-expert-times/

-----

22) Biden's Embarrassing Social Security Tweet
Source: Independent Institute
by K Lloyd Billingsley

"'Seniors are getting the biggest increase in their Social Security checks in 10 years through President Biden's leadership,' a White House Twitter post recently proclaimed. CNN fact-checker Daniel Dale had a problem with it. The 8.7 percent increase, biggest since 1981, 'is not because of any positive Biden leadership.' The 2023 increase 'is the biggest in years because the inflation rate is the biggest in years.' A 1970s-era law requires SS payments to increase along with consumer prices. ... The Twitter post was taken down, but the story does not end there. Americans approaching retirement age should know that Sen. Joe Biden twice voted to tax Social Security benefits." (11/08/22)

https://blog.independent.org/2022/11/08/bidens-social-security-tweet/

-----

23) No One Votes for Democracy
Source: The Atlantic
by Graeme Wood

"Last week, in a much heralded-speech at Union Station in Washington, D.C., President Joe Biden reminded voters that in the upcoming midterm elections, 'democracy is on the ballot,' and that they should punish those who engage in 'political violence and voter intimidation.' Evoking Lincoln, he warned that 'what we're doing now is going to determine whether democracy will long endure.' Call it the Cringe Gettysburg Address. The rhetoric of political extinction, originally written for those hallowed Pennsylvania pastures, was now repurposed to energize voters in a contest whose stakes are somewhat lower. The election is important, but for every voter who swoons at the Lincolnian rhetoric, there will be more who notice, even subconsciously, the mismatch, and react with skepticism." (11/08/22)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/11/democrats-democracy-threat-election-messaging-effectiveness/672026/

-----

24) Freedom to Boycott Is Free Speech, Too
Source: RealClearPolitics
by Froma Harrop

"It takes a certain inconsistency to argue, as Elon Musk has, that activists are 'trying to destroy free speech in America' by pressuring companies to pause advertising on Twitter, the social media platform he just overpaid for. A 'free speech absolutist,' as Musk describes himself, would surely understand that activists saying their piece to corporations are also engaging in free speech. Wouldn't he? The makers of Cheerios, Centrum vitamins or Chevy Silverados have zero obligation to advertise anywhere they don't want to. Same goes for Musk's Tesla car company, which does no advertising at all." (11/08/22)

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/11/08/freedom_to_boycott_is_free_speech_too_148439.html

-----

25) Cory Doctorow Wants You to Fight Big Tech
Source: Jacobin
by David Moscrop

"In their new book, Chokepoint Capitalism: How Big Tech and Big Content Captured Creative Labor Markets and How We'll Win Them Back (Beacon, 2022), Rebecca Giblin and Cory Doctorow explain how big market players squeeze creators and consumers through monopoly and monopsony -- and outline a way to break free from their grasp. Coauthor Cory Doctorow recently spoke to David Moscrop for Jacobin and discussed Chokepoint Capitalism, Doctorow's anti-capitalist oeuvre, what chokepoint capitalism means for creators and consumers, its prevalence in the cultural industries, and how to fight against it." (11/08/22)

https://jacobin.com/2022/11/cory-doctorow-chokepoint-capitalism-monopoly-tech/

-----

26) Avoiding Another Gettysburg
Source: Real Clear Politics
by Carl M Cannon

"On a chilly late October night, by a campfire only partially reassuring to the amphitheater audience hearing coyotes howling in the adjacent woods, a National Park Service ranger is explaining the significance of a little-remembered gathering that occurred here 50 years after the fierce battle that made this town famous. The 1913 event, hailed by politicians and the press as the 'Grand Reunion,' featured some 53,000 Civil War veterans, from the Union and Confederate armies, and was meant to signify the 'unity of North and South.' Meaningful unity wasn't possible at that time and place, at least not as the assembly was organized. As Christopher Gwinn, the interpretive ranger giving the lecture pointed out, black soldiers -- while not expressly barred -- were not welcomed at the 1913 reunion. Nor was any real discussion of slavery." (11/08/22)

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/11/08/avoiding_another_gettysburg_148442.html

-----

27) Election Day? Pick your poison
Source: Orange County Register
by Richard Boddie

"Well, friends and foe alike, that crucial day has almost arrived for this year, with claims that these might be the most important votes of your lifetime. Have you heard that one before? I sure have, prior to just about every election period in recent memory. Who writes this scary stuff? ... I submit after almost four decades of believing in the hype that if your vote actually made any real difference in any election above PTA or local dog catcher, it would be illegal." (11/08/22)

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/11/08/election-day-pick-your-poison/

-----

28) In Iran's protests, a hidden message made clear
Source: Christian Science Monitor
by staff

"Amazingly, the protests in Iran, now the longest-running against one-man rule by a cleric, have been largely leaderless. Demonstrators have united around anger (over dress codes), slogans ('Woman, Life, Freedom'), and shared agony over poverty and inflation. The leaderless quality, however, points to a largely unspoken theme: a desire for equality. If anyone in Iran is capable of making that point, it would be the spiritual leader of Iran's largest religious minority, Sunni Muslims, who have long suffered under a Shiite-dominated regime. On Nov. 4, the most prominent Sunni cleric, Mowlavi Abdolhamid Esmailzehi, called for an immediate referendum to 'change policies based on the wishes of the people.' It was the highest-level challenge yet to the regime (and its peculiar doctrine that the Iranian people need 'guardianship' by a Shiite imam) since the protests began." (11/07/22)

https://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/the-monitors-view/2022/1107/In-Iran-s-protests-a-hidden-message-made-clear

-----

29) Liberty, Freedom, and Sovereignty Aren't On Today's Ballot
Source: Libertarian Institute
by Jeffrey Wernick

"Today, once again, we have the most important, crucial election in the history of mankind. The fate of the planet, solar system, galaxy, and universe depends upon it. Even God is worried, praying. Maybe it will provoke an extinction level event. I, personally, will not vote. I will not vote because what I value most is not represented on the ballot; my liberty, my freedom, my personal sovereignty. I do not question the legality of the process. I question its legitimacy." (11/08/22)

https://libertarianinstitute.org/articles/liberty-freedom-and-sovereignty-arent-on-todays-ballot/

-----

30) Liberty and Loose Ends
Source: Law & Liberty
by Douglas B Rasmussen & Douglas J den Uyl

"It is time to draw our exchanges with Michael Thomas to a close. In Thomas's most recent reply, 'Driving Liberty in the Traffic of Tolerance,' he advances the view that 'liberty is supreme because it is ethical but that makes it a poor political principle.' In defense of this, he asserts that 'political institutions provide rules. Ethical virtues like liberty emerge in context. Everyone exercises within the liberty they get in each case. In all of my anecdotes, liberty is present in some sense, even if there is no formally recognized and enforced standard in each of them. The institutional rules cannot guarantee liberty, because it requires individual exercise. Liberty's presence cannot be measured and identified due to its incommensurability between persons.' This assertion seems most dubious, because it fails to consider three matters." (11/08/22)

https://lawliberty.org/liberty-and-loose-ends/

-----

31) Dems spent a fortune on fake news ahead of Election Day
Source: New York Post
by Matthew Foldi

"Democrats are campaigning on the claim that the 'fate of our democracy' is on the ballot today. They insist that 'misinformation' is one of the greatest threats to the survival of the republic. And to 'solve' the alleged information crisis and preserve their political power, Democratic billionaires are spending tens of millions of dollars promoting fake news outlets to manipulate gullible voters. The Left [sic] is 'faking' some news by disguising partisan advertising as information from legitimate local publications. Partisan Democratic operatives have hired former liberal journalists to craft stories that attack Republicans in contested races, and then surround these pieces with non-political content. Voters are receiving this propaganda in their mailboxes and on various digital platforms." (11/07/22)

https://nypost.com/2022/11/07/democrats-spent-a-fortune-on-fake-news-ahead-of-election-day/

-----

32) The US military is operating in more countries than we think
Source: Responsible Statecraft
by Jim Lobe

"U.S. military forces have been engaged in unauthorized hostilities in many more countries than the Pentagon has disclosed to Congress, let alone the public, according to a major new report released late last week by New York University School of Law's Brennan Center for Justice. 'Afghanistan, Iraq, maybe Libya. If you asked the average American where the United States has been at war in the past two decades, you would likely get this short list,' according to the report, Secret War: How the U.S. Uses Partnerships and Proxy Forces to Wage War Under the Radar. 'But this list is wrong -- off by at least 17 countries in which the United States has engaged in armed conflict through ground forces, proxy forces, or air strikes.'" (11/08/22)

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/11/08/the-us-military-is-operating-in-more-countries-than-we-think/

-----

33) No Such Thing As An Objective Journalist
Source: Caitlin Johnstone, Rogue Journalist
by Caitlin Johnstone

"I feel like we haven't been talking enough about the fact that US government agencies were just caught intimately collaborating with massive online platforms to censor content in the name of regulating the 'cognitive infrastructure' of society. The only way you could be okay with the US government appointing itself this authority would be if you believed the US government is an honest and beneficent entity that works toward the benefit of the common man. Which would of course be an unacceptable thing for a grown adult to believe. ... It's still astonishing that we live in a world where our rulers will openly imprison a journalist for telling the truth and then self-righteously bloviate about the need to stop authoritarian regimes from persecuting journalists." (11/06/22)

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2022/11/06/no-such-thing-as-an-objective-journalist-notes-from-the-edge-of-the-narrative-matrix/

-----

34) The Anti-Russia Paranoia
Source: Future of Freedom Foundation
by Jacob G Hornberger

"Given the mid-term elections, the anti-Russia paranoia of U.S. officials has been at a peak. The feds have been scouring the Internet to determine whether the Russians are improperly influencing American voters into supporting candidates who refuse to adopt the Pentagon's and the CIA's extreme anti-Russia animus. The idea is that American voters, given that they are mostly public-school graduates, have extremely pliant minds that are overly susceptible to being molded into being pro-communist or pro-Russia dupes." (11/08/22)

https://www.fff.org/2022/11/08/the-anti-russia-paranoia/

-----

35) Extreme Right in Netanyahu's Government Won't Dent Western Support
Source: Antiwar.com
by Jonathan Cook

"The most disturbing outcome of Israel's general election this week was not the fact that an openly fascist party won the third-biggest tally of seats, or that it is about to become the lynchpin of the next government. It is how little will change, in Israel or abroad, as a result. Having Religious Zionism at the heart of government will alter the tone in which Israeli politics is conducted, making it even coarser, more thuggish and uncompromising. But it will make no difference to the ethnic supremacism that has driven Israeli policy for decades." (11/08/22)

https://original.antiwar.com/cook/2022/11/07/extreme-right-in-netanyahus-government-wont-dent-western-support/

-----

36) Refundability and transferability of the clean energy tax credits in the Inflation Reduction Act
Source: Niskanen Center
by Shuting Pomerlau

"The 2022 Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) includes more than two dozen clean energy tax credits. These tax breaks–estimated by the Congressional Budget Office to cost more than $260 billion over ten years–aim to encourage the deployment of clean energy technologies. One significant change the IRA made to the clean energy tax credits is to make them refundable and transferable. Refundability enables entities to receive direct payments, while transferability allows them to sell their tax credits to other entities for cash. This change therefore allows companies to fully utilize the tax subsidies' benefits and effectively incentivize investment in clean energy technologies." (11/08/22)

https://www.niskanencenter.org/refundability-and-transferability-clean-energy-tax-credits-inflation-reduction-act/

-----

37) The clock has run out on Democrats' chaotic closing midterm message
Source: Fox News
by Jimmy Failla

"If there's one thing we know for sure heading into these all important midterm elections, it's that a large number of Americans are suffering every day. But enough about the people who watch The View. Let's focus on the rest of the country where voters are taking a beating and Democrats have largely ignored their concerns in the homestretch and bet big on so-called right wing 'Threats To Democracy.' If I were a betting man myself, I'd say this chaotic closing message is going to cost them big time on Election Night. Of course, I'm not gambling much these days because I take enough risks just by walking the streets of New York under Governor Kathy Hochul." (11/08/22)

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/clock-run-out-democrats-chaotic-closing-midterm-message

-----

38) Extradition Clouds: The Duggan Case and the Chinese Angle
Source: CounterPunch
by Binoy Kampmark

"Soon, the US government may be making waves regarding another extradition request for a figure connected with that oft exaggerated notion of national security. While the high profile and insidious effort to extradite Julian Assange from the United Kingdom continues, the case of former US pilot, Marine Corps major and flight instructor Daniel Edmund Duggan has crossed the radar of reporters and international lawyers. On October 21, Duggan was arrested by Australian authorities in the New South Wales town of Orange at the request of Washington. He appeared in Orange Local Court and was refused bail. ... as a former Harrier pilot, his expertise in vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) fighters such as the F-35B and AV-8B is considered of interest to some powers. That same week, a stir had been made of Chinese mischief regarding certain pilots keen to make some post-retirement cash." (11/08/22)

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/11/08/extradition-clouds-the-duggan-case-and-the-chinese-angle/

-----

39) Elon Musk and the revenge of the gatekeepers
Source: spiked
by Frank Furedi

"For America's cultural elites, it is now almost obligatory to hate Elon Musk. It is not difficult to see why they feel this way. After all, Musk is one of the very few high-profile businessmen who is prepared to publicly distance himself from the woke values that the elites hold dear. For several years now, the man who made electric cars cool has shown a rare willingness to question social-justice orthodoxies. He has frequently referred to himself as a 'free-speech absolutist.' And now, after buying Twitter, he has promised to make the popular social-media platform a 'haven for free speech.' This has terrified those who cleave to woke values. As far as they are concerned, any speech that challenges those values is 'hate speech.'" (11/08/22)

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/11/08/elon-musk-and-the-revenge-of-the-gatekeepers/

-----

40) Voters Think Democrats Have Their Own "Extremism" Problem
Source: The Daily Beast
by Matt Lewis

"If Democrats lose big on Tuesday, as it appears they might, it will be time to ask some serious questions, including: How is it possible that they lost to a political party as weird and conspiratorial as today's version of the GOP? Some of this can simply be dismissed as a bad year and worse timing. President Joe Biden's approval ratings are low, and the president's party historically gets thumped during midterms. But it would be a mistake to use these factors to avoid introspection. ... Democrats would be foolish to sweep their troubles under the rug and pretend that whatever bad happens on Tuesday (we see through a glass darkly) was nothing more than a cyclical phenomenon." (11/07/22)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/voters-think-democrats-have-their-own-extremism-problem

-----

41) If GOP Gets Its Way, Today Could Be Beginning of End for US Democracy [sic]
Source: Common Dreams
by Thom Hartmann

"There are only two ways that independent nations can be governed: by the people themselves through free and fair elections with maximum participation, or by an elite group that is only acting for its own benefit. Trump and virtually the entire GOP have chosen autocracy, going all-in on voter intimidation, throwing people off voter rolls or preventing their votes from being counted, and trying to rig future elections. Democracy or autocracy. Freedom or oligarchy. Liberty or tyranny. Violence or the rule of law. Trump and virtually the entire GOP have chosen autocracy, going all-in on voter intimidation, throwing people off voter rolls or preventing their votes from being counted, and trying to rig future elections. And they're getting a big assist from other countries that have already been taken over by autocrats like Trump aspires to become, countries that are trying to take down democracies all over the world." (11/08/22)

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2022/11/08/if-gop-gets-its-way-today-could-be-beginning-end-us-democracy

-----

42) Cacophonocracy
Source: Quillette
by George Case

"In the past, print or broadcast journalists would devote little time to Hollywood or Broadway, to hit sitcoms or underground musicians. Entertainers were widely publicized in fan magazines, trade papers, or gossip columns, certainly, but there was a strong distinction between hard news and soft .... those barriers have collapsed from two sides: from the production of news as a ceaseless stream of fresh content, delivered around the clock by attractive anchors or through social media; and from the dominance of news by stories from the cultural industries, with constant features on summer blockbusters, celebrity brouhahas, and endless analyses of the 'meaning' of a popular song or Netflix series. The collapse may be shaking our society, our civics, and our individual psyches." (11/07/22)

https://quillette.com/2022/11/07/cacophonocracy/

-----

43) Punching Fauci?
Source: Common Sense
by Paul Jacob

"'This is just one of those things where things get taken out of context,' congressional candidate Hung Cao told WJLA in Arlington, Virginia, responding to his opponents TV ads, which charge that Cao said he 'wants to punch Dr. Fauci in the face.' Mr. Cao, a colorful fellow, came to America from war-torn Vietnam when he was just four. He graduated from the Naval Academy and served for 25 years -- a combat veteran of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Somalia. '[T]he real quote was 'if there's two people I could punch in the face and get away with it, it would be Mark Zuckerberg and Fauci,'' explained Cao. 'I'm not advocating violence. All I'm saying is we are so frustrated with people -- unelected officials -- making decisions for this country like Mark Zuckerberg being able to ban people based on speech and Dr. Fauci shutting down businesses.'" (11/07/22)

https://thisiscommonsense.org/2022/11/07/punching-fauci/

-----

44) Dems are just pretending to care about crime and gas prices
Source: JimBovard.com
by James Bovard

"'No more [oil] drilling!' President Biden shouted Sunday night in response to a heckler at a rally for Gov. Hochul in Yonkers. Across the nation, hundreds of Democratic candidates screamed in frustration. The gig was up. In one quote, Biden managed to rip off the fake mask of moderation most candidates have adopted before Election Day. Biden and other Dems have spent the past few weeks claiming they were for energy independence. Senate candidate John Fetterman even insisted he was for fracking in his debate with Dr. Mehmet Oz, reversing his previous position. Then the president revealed the truth: They are the same anti-oil party as ever. No drilling. They will be raising your heating prices this winter. The same thing happened on crime." (11/07/22)

https://jimbovard.com/blog/2022/11/07/new-york-post-dems-pretending-to-car-on-crime-gas-prices/

-----

45) Joe Biden Is the King of Debt and Deficits
Source: Town Hall
by Stephen Moore

"Imagine someone close to you has a drinking problem. Night after night, he goes out to the bars on wild binges, chugging down 10 to 12 beers a night. But then, in a supreme effort to reform himself, the drunkard cuts his consumption down to a six-pack every night. He starts boasting of his amazing self-control and good behavior. That's analogous to President Joe Biden's tall tale that he's one of the greatest paragons of fiscal responsibility in modern times. Here's Biden on Oct. 21 discussing his budgetary record at a White House event. 'Today, my administration announced that this year, the deficit fell by $1.4 trillion -- the largest one-year drop in American history. Let me repeat that: the largest-ever decline in the federal deficit.' Talk about putting lipstick on a pig." (11/08/22)

https://townhall.com/columnists/stephenmoore/2022/11/08/joe-biden-is-the-king-of-debt-and-deficits-n2615602

-----

46) Was there a Covid Response Plan? If So, Where Is It?
Source: Brownstone Institute
by Debbie Lerman

"For nearly three years, media outlets, pundits and commentators have raged about how Trump botched the Covid response by not going far enough with lockdowns, or, on the other side, how Fauci's Covid policies destroyed millions of lives. The assumption behind these claims is that either Trump or Fauci designed and/or implemented our Covid response. Such claims are too simple. The response of a nation with over 330 million inhabitants to a pandemic virus is never in the hands of a single individual." (11/07/22)

https://brownstone.org/articles/was-there-a-covid-response-plan-if-so-where-is-it/

-----

47) If You Wish the Iranian People Well, Stop Attacking Them with Sanctions
Source: Eunomia
by Daniel Larison

"Walter Russell Mead jumps at the chance to push for regime change: 'But using all the diplomatic and economic tools at America's disposal to help the Iranian people's fight for freedom is both the right thing to do and the best way to advance U.S. interests at a critical time.' The time for action is now. The best thing that the U.S. can do for the Iranian people is to take its boot off their necks by lifting as many broad sanctions on their economy as possible as quickly as possible. That is the only useful 'economic tool' that the U.S. has to offer in this case, and we know in advance that this is not what Mead is talking about." (11/07/22)

https://daniellarison.substack.com/p/if-you-wish-the-iranian-people-well

-----

48) When Lying Becomes a Virtue, Civilization Declines
Source: American Institute for Economic Research
by Barry Brownstein

"Famed social psychology professor Jonathan Haidt has been thinking about the dangers of attesting to something he doesn't believe. Lying is now necessary, for Haidt to keep his professional standing. For others, the stakes are even higher; if they don't lie, they may lose their job. Nicole Levitt, for example, has been asked by her organization to agree to stipulate 'white people are racists.' Doctors have been threatened with the loss of professional credentials or their licenses if they speak publicly about their disagreements with COVID-vaccine orthodoxy. Haidt believes truth is the telos, the North Star, of universities. Adding a second telos of social justice is impossible." (11/07/22)

https://www.aier.org/article/when-lying-becomes-a-virtue-civilization-declines/

-----

49) Already in a Hole, the Federal Reserve Keeps Digging
Source: The American Prospect
by Jeffrey Sonnenfeld & Steven Tian

"The comedian Will Rogers famously declared, 'If you are trying to get out of a hole, stop digging.' Last week's strong jobs report, with businesses boosting hiring in October by a more-than-expected 261,000 and accelerating average hourly earnings, suggests that the Federal Reserve needs to face the facts: unless the Fed induces a catastrophic recession, its policy levers will have limited if any impact on the presumed inflation indices it is targeting. Indeed, the Fed's preferred inflation statistics have only accelerated upward since the start of rate hikes six months ago. The Fed's tool of choice (tightening monetary conditions) is a blunt, imprecise wrecking ball that serves to drain liquidity from the economy. But draining the water from the pool does not make someone a better swimmer." (11/08/22)

https://prospect.org/economy/already-in-a-hole-federal-reserve-keeps-digging/

-----

60) A Baker's Dozen[TM] reasons tomorrow's election will make little difference
Source: The Price of Liberty
by Nathan Barton

"We are hearing the hype a dozen times an hour on the talk shows, the news shows, and especially the wall to wall ads -- print, internet, audio, visual, and more. This is the most important election yet of our lifetime -- and maybe the life of the Republic. (Or our Democracy.) Ignoring the history, here are thirteen reasons, a Baker's Dozen[TM] reasons that the election of 8 November 2022 is going to make little difference in the fate of the Fifty States -- or the world as a whole." (11/07/22)

https://thepriceofliberty.org/2022/11/07/a-bakers-dozen-tm-reasons-tomorrows-election-will-make-little-difference/