11/24 -- NY: Federal judge nixes state victim disarmament measure; Be Thankful for America (Even if You're a Culture Warrior)

Thomas L. Knapp

Nov 24, 2022, 7:17:14 AM11/24/22
to Freedom News Daily
Freedom News Daily, 11/24/22
Presented by the Liberty International
https://liberty-intl.org/

Produced by the staff of Rational Review News Digest
https://news.rationalreview.com/

Today's Freedom News:

0)  Happy Thanksgiving from the Freedom Movement's Daily Newspaper!
1)  NY: Federal judge nixes state victim disarmament measure
2)  Malaysia: Ibrahim sworn in as tenth prime minister
3)  AK: Peltola, Murkowski re-elected to US House, Senate

Today's Freedom Commentary:

4)  Be Thankful for America (Even if You're a Culture Warrior)
5)  Free Speech on Twitter? Not If Europe Has a Say
6)  US caught up in "cold civil war"
7)  Ron DeSantis's Speech Policing Could Hurt the Right Too
8)  AP Editor "Can't Imagine" A US Intelligence Official Being Wrong

Today's Freedom Podcast and Video:

9)  The Brian Nichols Show, episode 630
10) The Bryan Hyde Show, 11/23/22

vvvvv SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS vvvvv

SHOP ONLINE, GET A REBATE IN BITCOIN!
https://www.lolli.com/share/MZB4cCpheL

25 TEXAS HEROES, by TL and Helen Hulsey
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1947660535

THE WORLD'S EASIEST WAY TO INVEST IN BITCOIN
https://coinbitsapp.com/?ref=0RUAyB4cnVcKsaceTi2N

Tyranny Demands AN ACT OF SELF-DEFENSE: A NOVEL BY ERNE LEWIS
https://tinyurl.com/actofselfdefense

ONE IDENTITY FOR ALL YOUR CRYPTO
https://fioprotocol.io/

^^^^^ SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS ^^^^^

_____ Today's Freedom News _____

0)  Happy Thanksgiving from the Freedom Movement's Daily Newspaper!

Hey, everyone ...

Rational Review News Digest / Freedom News Daily has a ... complicated ... relationship with the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. We publish every non-holiday weekday. Does that include the Friday after the US Thanksgiving holiday? I've never really figured that out, and what usually happens is that there are one or more short "holiday weekend special" editions including, sometimes (like today) one on the holiday itself.

Today's edition is just ten items (three news stories, five opinion pieces, and two audio/video links). I figure it serves four purposes.

One is to help ensure that we don't have more content than we CAN show you come next Monday.

The second is to give you something to read after that big dinner when you're tired of arguing with your crazy uncle.

The third is to remind you, our readers, that we're thankful for your attention and want to continue bringing you material you like.

And the fourth, of course, is to remind you that we're a reader-supported publication, that you're our readers, and that we hope you'll support us at:

https://news.rationalreview.com/support-rrnd

Yesterday was a "zero-dollar day" in our year-end fundraiser. We've raised $2,046, leaving us $529 short of our $5,150 goal. That's not a math error -- supporter GL has pledged "matching funds" of up to half the goal, so we only have to hit $2,575 to reach $5,150.

Once we hit our goal, I get to mostly stop yapping about money until next October. For which I, and likely you, will be as thankful as you hopefully are for the newsletter itself. So please help us get there by Monday at:

https://news.rationalreview.com/support-rrnd

Have a great holiday weekend!

Yours in liberty,
Tom Knapp
Publisher
Rational Review News Digest / Freedom News Daily

-----

1)  NY: Federal judge nixes state victim disarmament measure
Source: Reuters

"A federal judge has blocked New York from restricting the carrying of guns on private property under a Democratic-backed law adopted following the U.S. Supreme Court's June ruling that struck down the state's strict gun permitting regime. Tuesday's ruling by U.S. District Judge John Sinatra in Buffalo struck down a provision in the law that made it a felony for a licensed gun owner to possess a firearm on any private property unless the property owner allowed it with a sign or by giving express consent. ... 'Property owners indeed have the right to exclude,' Sinatra wrote. 'But the state may not unilaterally exercise that right and, thereby, interfere with the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens who seek to carry for self-defense outside of their own homes.'" (11/23/22)

https://www.reuters.com/legal/judge-blocks-new-york-limits-carrying-guns-private-property-2022-11-23/

-----

2)  Malaysia: Ibrahim sworn in as tenth prime minister
Source: CNBC

"Long-time Malaysian statesman Anwar Ibrahim has been sworn in as the country's new prime minister, after the Southeast Asian nation's palace appointed the opposition leader on Thursday ending a protracted election deadlock. Making history, the appointment caps a more than 20-year wait for the former deputy prime minister who has been opposition leader for two decades amid jail terms and political coups. Following a meeting with state rulers and in line with the Malaysian constitution, the king appointed Anwar as the Southeast Asian nation's 10th prime minister. Anwar was sworn in at just after 5 p.m. local time." (11/24/22)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/24/anwar-ibrahim-appointed-as-malaysia-prime-minister.html

-----

3)  AK: Peltola, Murkowski re-elected to US House, Senate
Source: Politico

"Two Alaska moderates, GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski and Democratic Rep. Mary Peltola, won reelection Wednesday over two challengers backed by former President Donald Trump, thanks to the state's ranked-choice-voting system, which allowed them to prevail without winning a majority of the vote. Murkowski repelled Trump-backed Republican Kelly Tshibaka, less than two years after Murkowski voted for conviction in Trump's impeachment trial. Peltola, meanwhile, beat former Gov. Sarah Palin, another Trump-endorsed candidate, by a wider margin than her victory in the Aug. 19 special election that first sent Peltola to Congress." (11/23/22)

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/23/alaska-election-results-00070808

_____ Today's Freedom Commentary _____

4)  Be Thankful for America (Even if You're a Culture Warrior)
Source: The Daily Beast
by Matt Lewis

"'Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?' That quote is attributed to former Buffalo Bills coach Marv Levy, but it applies to every American living in 2022. Compared with almost every other time and place in history, we have won the lottery. Yet our dissatisfaction as a whole is palpable. ... The big complaint on Fox News this Thanksgiving week is that the high cost of turkey will force some families to eat (don't make me say it!) chicken. To the extent this is a pervasive problem, it just means we are out of actual problems to bitch about. Just imagine having to explain to a poverty-stricken Appalachian in 1822 that things are horrible because his feast this year will feature the wrong bird." (11/24/22)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/be-thankful-for-america-even-if-youre-a-culture-warrior

-----

5)  Free Speech on Twitter? Not If Europe Has a Say
Source: Reason
by JD Tuccille

"Elon Musk's 'free speech absolutist' version of Twitter is looking more like a platform moderated with a lighter and less-partisan hand than a free-for-all, but even that is too much for critics. Some warn that free speech is dangerous. Others hint that app stores might ban Twitter to spare users from the peril of slightly less-filtered discussion. And our friends across the Atlantic are doing their best to live up to fears of the European Union as a totalitarian project by threatening old-fashioned government censorship. Twitter 'is in the process of reducing moderators, but will have to increase them in Europe,' EU Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton huffed last week (article in French) about Musk's new regime at Twitter. 'He will have to open his algorithms. We will have control, access, and people will no longer be able to say nonsense.'" (11/23/22)

https://reason.com/2022/11/23/free-speech-on-twitter-not-if-europe-has-a-say/

-----

6)  US caught up in "cold civil war"
Source: Eastern New Mexico News
by Kent McManigal

"After World War II, the American and Soviet governments entangled themselves in what became known as 'the Cold War.' They lied about each other (and told some uncomfortable truths), used dirty tricks, and even killed each other's people in ways that didn't quite reach the level to trigger a declaration of war. It wasn't a good situation and only ended -- if it ended -- when the Soviet Union collapsed. Now I think America is in a cold civil war." (11/23/22)

https://www.easternnewmexiconews.com/story/2022/11/23/voices/opinion-us-caught-up-in-cold-civil-war/173518.html

-----

7)  Ron DeSantis's Speech Policing Could Hurt the Right Too
Source: The Atlantic
by Conor Friedersdorf

"On Thursday, a federal district-court judge in Tallahassee temporarily halted enforcement of a Florida law –– popularly known as the 'Stop WOKE Act' –– that prohibits certain viewpoints in classroom instruction. ... If the populist right succeeds in stripping faculty of most First Amendment protections in the classroom, where will it turn when progressive legislatures ban its ideas on campus? Meanwhile, DeSantis and his allies are now the ones who have ceded the moral high ground to their culture-war foes by framing a debate as if free speech were in conflict with the elimination of 'woke' racism. Was it worth it?" (11/22/22)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/11/ron-desantis-individual-freedom-act-free-speech/672211

-----

8)  AP Editor "Can't Imagine" A US Intelligence Official Being Wrong
Source: Caitlin Johnstone, Rogue Journalist
by Caitlin Johnstone

"The Associated Press journalist who reported a US intelligence official's false claim that Russia had launched missiles at Poland last week has been fired. As we discussed previously, AP's anonymously sourced report which said 'A senior U.S. intelligence official says Russian missiles crossed into NATO member Poland, killing two people' went viral because of the massive implications of direct hot warfare erupting between Russia and the NATO alliance. AP subsequently retracted its story as the mainstream political/media class came to accept that it was in fact a Ukrainian missile that had struck Poland. AP's firing of reporter James LaPorta looks at this time to be the end point of any accountability for the circulation of this extremely dangerous falsehood." (11/23/22)

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2022/11/23/ap-editor-said-she-cant-imagine-a-us-intelligence-official-being-wrong/

_____ Today's Freedom Podcast and Video _____

9)  The Brian Nichols Show, episode 630
Source: We Are Libertarians

"Selling Libertarianism at the Thanksgiving Dinner Table." (11/23/22)

https://wearelibertarians.com/bns-630-selling-libertarianism-at-the-thanksgiving-dinner-table/

-----

10) The Bryan Hyde Show, 11/23/22
Source: The Bryan Hyde Show

"The wheels are coming off the bus for the covid narrative managers." (11/23/22)

https://anchor.fm/bryan-hyde/episodes/2022-Nov-23-The-Bryan-Hyde-Show-e1r6pqq

Support the Liberty International (tax deductible)
https://liberty-intl.org/join-the-movement/