My new open source EDA business

Bryan Murdock

Jan 21, 2020, 3:08:06 PM1/21/20
to freecellera
MSD: A Red Hat-like business for Open Source EDA (Verilog, VHDL, etc.)

Whenever I bring up the idea of using open source tools at work I get responses just like I got when first bringing up Linux at HP back in 2001.  Things like, "you get what you pay for" and "it's only free if you don't value your time."  Red Hat (and SUSE/Novell) addressed those concerns for business people and made Linux mainstream (and put UNIX out of business and made a lot money for themselves in the process).  Maybe a similar business could do the same for open source EDA.

To that end, I have quite my job and I've spent the past few week putting this business together.  What do you think?

On Twitter:

Discount code so you can try out the package and subscription that I'm providing for free (yes, I'm making you go to twitter to see the code):

All feedback is most welcome.  Thanks in advance!

Bryan