Open Sourced BMS

HarveyEV

Dec 27, 2007, 7:12:48 PM12/27/07
to FreeBMS
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty excited about this
group. Methinks this group is a long time coming, and if successful,
should have impact for more than just the PHEV conversion community,
but the electric drive community as a whole. While we're at it, why
not open sourced chargers, DC and AC drive controllers, DC/DC
converters? IMHO, these are supply side cost and availability
constraints that if addressed in an open source way will do more for
the electric drive cause than anything to do date. Will contribute
whatever I can. Thanks Chris for starting this up.

Mike

Dec 29, 2007, 6:13:53 PM12/29/07
to FreeBMS
Of all of the possible open source projects for EVs I think a BMS is
the best, because it is small enough to be done by a few individuals
in a short period of time. Projects like AC drive controllers are far
too large unless one individual or group builds it then lets others
improve it. Even a good DC controller like the Zilla is a huge
project, and for a small one just buy a Curtis.

Mike Harvey

Dec 30, 2007, 9:45:07 PM12/30/07
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I agree controllers are complex to build, and a project such as an open sourced controller would not be a slam dunk. Nothing worthwhile is. But anyone that had built more than a few EVs knows that sourcing good controllers is not an easy task. IMHO, while it's not a simple project, it is one that will reap rewards for years. Many "huge" open source projects have been done very successfully. I have seen one or two open sourced style controller designs that could be used as starting points to bootstrap the process. IIRC, they were posted on the EVDL.

I have installed both Curtis and Zilla controllers and am not displeased with either, except that in the case of the Zilla they are nearly impossible to get, and in the case of the Curtis, knowledge of the design is not public making repairs an expensive and nitchy business. Neither of these things bodes well for getting more EVs on the road, and why I suggested it in the first place. As a vehicle converter, I see this as a huge win for everyone except the existing controller manufacturers that charge a wad of money and make you wait an inordinate amount of time to receive it.