Lithium module needs a BMS

mikep_95133

Dec 28, 2007, 11:45:46 AM12/28/07
to FreeBMS
Hi Gents,

I'm glad to see some movement on a BMS for lithium. This group seems
very timely as I'm putting together a 1S16P A123 module for my
electric truck. It would be nice to have something better designed
than I can do on my own.

Mike

mrbigh

Dec 28, 2007, 8:21:06 PM12/28/07
to FreeBMS
Welcome to the group, please share your work project with us to.

mrbigh

Bill or Dorothy Swann

Dec 28, 2007, 8:45:45 PM12/28/07
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Hello. I am a mechanical person who has an electric bicycle and a Solectria. Like most EV owners, I am frustrated by the short range of EV's compared to what it could be. I am building a battery pack for my bicycle with the 18650 Li cell. See  http://hstech.biz/newdesign_for_hs_tech/future_projects.html
 It is 7s18p making ~25 volts. Obvoiusly the BMS needs to be part of the system. I am working with www.Bipom.com for the data collection and processing. Having a microcontroller opens up a world of capability.
I look forward to sharing info. Bill S

mikep_95133

Dec 28, 2007, 10:57:57 PM12/28/07
to FreeBMS
Here is a link to the CAD model. It replaces two nicad cells exactly.
So it should be fairly easy mechanically to build and install. I just
got the cells and plastic in this week. I just have to get back on
track to get it going. I'm a bit buried in board debug right now. The
BMS will be just some analog parts. I'm not a code guy at all.

http://www.rotordesign.com/s10/lithium/A123ConceptModule_2.jpg

Mike

Bill or Dorothy Swann

Dec 28, 2007, 11:51:47 PM12/28/07
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Are you the guru who talked me out of pursuing the Prius battery pack for my Solectria?
What CAD package are you using?
Bill S

Dec 28, 2007, 11:59:09 PM12/28/07
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I will post my battery pack CAD model as soon as I build it. What type of Lithium cell are you using? I am getting mine,18650's, from a high tech recycler. They are taken out of Compaq labtop battery packs that are being recycled. Usually a pack is bad, but not all the cells. I have accumulated 90 of them.

mikep_95133

Dec 29, 2007, 2:05:53 AM12/29/07
to FreeBMS
Hi Bill,

So you did decide to not use the Prius batteries?

I'm using the older 2.0 version of Rhino 3D.

Mike

mikep_95133

Dec 29, 2007, 2:06:47 AM12/29/07
to FreeBMS
I'm using A123 cells. They have a long cycle life which will help
offset their cost over time.

Mike