FreeBMS basic design rules

Per Hassel

Feb 5, 2008, 4:21:57 PM2/5/08
to FreeBMS
Hi There,

Some members of the group has made a huge effort and have already
drawn schematics and written detailed descriptions on how the FreeBMS
electronics should work. Likewise, I have also done some detailed
planning on my own BMS based on Intersil BMS chips and Microchip MCUs.
In retrospect, after reading a lot about BMS, and becoming a member of
this group I would call at least my effort a bit premature. Based on
experience it would be better to do a top-downward design, beginning
with the most important requirements, and then go down into the
details like selecting chips, building protos and write code, i.e.
saving the fun stuff until later!

If we are going to succeed distributing the development effort then it
is absolutely necessesary to have some kind of a development structure
suitable for a distributed workgroup environment. And at the top of
such a structure, we need to define what we want and how to get there,
i.e. design rules.

I guess we all have slightly different views on what we want but we
need to agree to some basic rules.
I have written a suggestion for FreeBMS design rules in prioritized
order that can be found in the file area: FreeBMS basic design rules
ver0.rtf

I would like everybody to participate in a discussion on the suggested
rules.

Thanks,
Per Hassel

mikep_95133

Feb 5, 2008, 8:03:30 PM2/5/08
to FreeBMS
That makes sense to me.

What I would like to know is how many members here have an EV and how
many miles have they put on their EV?

Mike

Rod Hower

Feb 5, 2008, 9:09:44 PM2/5/08
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
I don't have much experience with BMS systems other
than what I've learned on the EVDL. I have a few
previous and current EV projects,

http://www.evalbum.com/8
http://www.evalbum.com/264
http://www.evalbum.com/265
http://www.evalbum.com/405
http://www.evalbum.com/1341

I've traveled about 32,000 miles in Dodge TEVan's with
SAFT STM-180 NiCd's that don't require a BMS.
Thanks,
Rod

eddy mechelaere

Jan 1, 2001, 5:00:17 PM1/1/01
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Hello All

I greetly respect your efforts .
I am driving an 120Volt 6Vx20 SAFT NICAD water cooled 100AH STM-MRE block in
an 106EL PEUGEOT
2500km EV myself, car total 25000KM.
NICAD can be boiled for equilisation.Li-ION and Pb can't.

It would be interesting to standardise EV's with a multiple of 48 volts.

48-volt city,golf,NEV vehicles

96 volt :citystromer

120-162volt (peugeot:106,partner
citroen:saxo,berlingo)

all production are stopped already)

power USA cars:144 and more.

Standardisation of battery packs can reduce cost.

Greetings from BElgium.
Eddy