Cleaning Paint rollers and brushes and trays

Leveled

Aug 31, 2010, 2:04:43 PM8/31/10
Has anyone tried the dishwasher for this ??

Mr Pounder

Aug 31, 2010, 5:00:15 PM8/31/10

"Leveled" <e...@leveled.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone tried the dishwasher for this ??
> Are you married?

Mr Pounder

Chewbacca

Aug 31, 2010, 5:04:28 PM8/31/10
On 31/08/2010 19:04, Leveled wrote:
> Has anyone tried the dishwasher for this ??

Brushes are easy to wash out, rollers are not, so get cheap ones from
screwfix and throw them away

ARWadsworth

Sep 1, 2010, 8:57:21 AM9/1/10

Are you suggesting that his wife should clean the brushes?

--
Adam

Mr Pounder

Sep 1, 2010, 12:38:09 PM9/1/10

"ARWadsworth" <adamwa...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Using the dishwasher would result in not having a wife.

Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder

Sep 1, 2010, 12:40:23 PM9/1/10

"Chewbacca" <Che...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Or, if the job is not finished and you still have paint in the tray, stick
the lot in a plastic bag.
They will still be fine the next day.

Mr Pounder

Andrew Gabriel

Sep 1, 2010, 12:41:40 PM9/1/10
In article <6a-dnRfzNs7f2eDR...@brightview.co.uk>,

"Leveled" <e...@leveled.com> writes:
> Has anyone tried the dishwasher for this ??

Unlikely to work.
Washing out brushes/rollers is mainly by dilution of the residual
paint, helped by agitation, until the quantity of paint remaining
is insignificant. Dishwashers simply don't use much water for
dilution (it's not the way they wash), and no agitation, so I
would not expect much paint to be removed. Might end up with the
insides of the dishwasher painted though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Chewbacca

Sep 1, 2010, 3:57:31 PM9/1/10
Then I shall go and fill the dishwasher with paint rollers........

Mr Pounder

Sep 2, 2010, 6:53:18 AM9/2/10

"Chewbacca" <Che...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Then she would divorce you for unreasonable behaviour, no house and no err
dishwasher.

Mr Pounder

mike

Sep 2, 2010, 9:25:29 AM9/2/10

"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Unlikely to work.
> Washing out brushes/rollers is mainly by dilution of the residual
> paint, helped by agitation, until the quantity of paint remaining
> is insignificant. Dishwashers simply don't use much water for
> dilution (it's not the way they wash), and no agitation, so I
> would not expect much paint to be removed. Might end up with the
> insides of the dishwasher painted though.

Agreed.

Perhaps we could get Myth Busters to try it though - just for fun?

Mike

Chewbacca

Sep 3, 2010, 3:19:55 PM9/3/10
But I could buy a boat just for me....

Steve Kramer

Sep 3, 2010, 9:12:30 PM9/3/10

Don't do it
The dishwasher will stink of paint and you'll still have to wash them
afterwards
Immerse the rollers in a full bucket of water to dilute the paint and repeat
till clean
Balance rollers on side of bath or sink to run
Return and rinse over the course of the day to re rinse under tap till
clear, or more or less clear
Use again next time !

Mr Pounder

Sep 4, 2010, 1:01:40 PM9/4/10

"Steve Kramer" <St...@Kramer.com> wrote in message

Ensure wife is not present whilst balancing rollers on side of bath.

Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder

Sep 4, 2010, 3:24:38 PM9/4/10

"Chewbacca" <Che...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Just stop that NOW!
I have always been easily lead ....

Mr Pounder

Midge

Sep 5, 2010, 4:55:35 PM9/5/10
I was reading Practical Classics today (every-day classic car mag for those
of you who have never had the pleasure!) and there was an article about the
handy things in the kitchen to help keep your classic car on the road
namely:

Smooth peanut butter restores the shine to black plastics (its the peanut
oil that does it) - apply and buff-up
Vinegar (or that old favourite coca-cola) for de-rusting stuff
Oven for heating up bearing carriers (and freezer for contracting the
bearings)
Freezer ice is a good source of de-ionised water for topping up your
radiator
Olive oil mixed with sugar makes a good hand cleanser

...oh, and using your dishwasher as a STEAM CLEANER for fiddly parts
(advice - don't use dishwasher tablets as they have salt in them, and make
sure salt reservoir empty).

Now Mrs Midge is a reasonably tolerant soul, so I showed her the photo in
the mag and explained that the thing in the pull out dishwasher rack was a
carburettor body! "That's disgusting" was the predictable reply.

On the roller cleaning question, as mentioned in one of the other replies,
I slot the handle and roller in a food-bag, get as much air out as possible,
and use the supplied wire wraps to tie the bag tight around the handle stem
to keep out the air. That way, you can avoid having to wash them until you
finally finish the job (I've had no problem storing a roller for over a week
between coats in this state).

Garden hose over a drain is good for getting the paint out when you finally
need to (start low pressure until most of the paint is out, then wind it
right up). Squeeze water out then roll in kitchen roll to wick the remaining
moisture out so it doesn't collect at the lowest point if you (say) stand
the roller on its end.

Get a nail brush for scrubbing dried paint out of brushes and off the edges
of trays.

Midge.

johnb...@googlemail.com

Oct 11, 2017, 1:24:49 PM10/11/17
Old thread but hey ho. Don't know about brushes but easiest way to clean rollers is rinse off paint then pop in washing machine, they come out better than new.

Andrew Gabriel

Oct 28, 2017, 3:47:38 PM10/28/17
In article <1c545fec-37a2-4be1...@googlegroups.com>,
johnb...@googlemail.com writes:
> Old thread but hey ho. Don't know about brushes but easiest way to clean rollers is rinse off paint then pop in washing machine, they come out better than new.

So old my news server doesn't have any of the rest of it.

I wrap in cling film to prevent drying between coats, and chuck
them away afterwards, but then I bought them in Poundland in the
first place.