A quick question

Jor

Sep 5, 2003, 12:17:38 PM9/5/03
Is this an alive group being read by anyone?

Kevin Jones

Nov 8, 2003, 10:18:37 PM11/8/03
"Jor" <darkelf-AtSign-ope...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> Is this an alive group being read by anyone?

By coincidence, yes. I came by just trying to find out what the devil is
happening with the forum. Arne has put up something saying that it is
permanently closed and that lawsuits are being seriously considered. Any
idea what it is all about?

I suspect that with the forum gone this ng may become rather more active.

Kevin

Jor

Nov 8, 2003, 10:30:01 PM11/8/03
Kevin Jones <laig...@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> By coincidence, yes. I came by just trying to find out what the devil is
> happening with the forum. Arne has put up something saying that it is
> permanently closed and that lawsuits are being seriously considered. Any
> idea what it is all about?

The forum is closed because of a couple of reasons. Arne being tired of
harassment by others, and an unwillingness to keep paying the hosting
costs are the most important ones.

A couple of us have setup a Yahoo group for HPGuru's HOSTS file at
<URL:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hphosts_support/>

And there was an attempt by former forum member kye-u to setup a new
forum, which leads us to the lawsuit thing: he's annoyed that the exact
look was copied, without any credit and asking him first.

For this reason it's already been removed, but may return with a different
look at <URL:http://www.proxoforum.tk/>

> I suspect that with the forum gone this ng may become rather more active.

I believe very few newsservers carry the 'free' hierarchy…

--
Jor ☺

A: No. See <URL:http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html>

Kevin Jones

Nov 9, 2003, 1:58:22 PM11/9/03
"Jor" <darkelf(at)operamail(dot)c...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> Kevin Jones <laig...@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > By coincidence, yes. I came by just trying to find out what the devil is
> > happening with the forum. Arne has put up something saying that it is
> > permanently closed and that lawsuits are being seriously considered. Any
> > idea what it is all about?
>
> The forum is closed because of a couple of reasons. Arne being tired of
> harassment by others, and an unwillingness to keep paying the hosting
> costs are the most important ones.

:-/ Dunno why anyone wants to hassle him - after all, he was doing everyone
a favour by keeping the forum going.

Well, I do hope it's going to be archived somewhere - I always found it an
invaluable resource. Not sure what I'm going to do without it. :-( Yes, I
know I can go over to Computer Cops etc, but there was stuff specifically on
Arne's site that interested me.

> A couple of us have setup a Yahoo group for HPGuru's HOSTS file at
> <URL:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hphosts_support/>

I've bookmarked it.

> And there was an attempt by former forum member kye-u to setup a new
> forum, which leads us to the lawsuit thing: he's annoyed that the exact
> look was copied, without any credit and asking him first.

I did a rather lengthy bit of research after you said that. I may have got
it wrong - however, it looks like kye-u tried to fill the gap left by Arne
closing the forum. It would seem then that it was done with the best of
intentions and at short notice - mind you, as you say, he should have
checked with Arne first and got his blessing. :-( Might be better if those
two could just kiss and make up; once lawyers get involved, everyone winds
up poorer and only the lawyers win. After all, it's in the lawyer's interest
to promote division, which is after all what the process of law is all
about.

Wonder what it is about computers and the net that winds up with people
arguing? <puzzled, philosophical look!>

> For this reason it's already been removed, but may return with a different
> look at <URL:http://www.proxoforum.tk/>

I'll keep an eye on the site.

> > I suspect that with the forum gone this ng may become rather more
active.

> I believe very few newsservers carry the 'free' hierarchy.

Well some public newsservers also carry them, so there's always a bit of
hope. :-)

Kevin