webhosting

Brian

Jul 4, 2002, 4:59:10 PM7/4/02
Colo is truely the best path for you. It will give you the control you
want because it will be your box. The best bet is to find a place you
can co-lo your own box. Then you know positively that you have complete
control over the box. Some places may offer you a box to rent for a
really low price but they have the ability to get into it if they need
to. Such places usually have fees for things like reboots, OS upgrades,
etc... Look for the hidden costs.

The better solution is to buy your own box and park it some where. That
way you can have GB's of storage not just MB's. You can pick your
hardware and OS of choice. Linux is a nice pick BTW. You can configure
the webmaster and the website owner to be completely different accounts
as well as root and any other account you want to cook up. You can even
create accounts that can only access certain parts of the site. That's
the power of unix permissions. You'll have all the logging you can
stand since you'll have access to the messages file along with others
like maillog, xferlog and secure just to name a few.

Here's a list of sites that I know of that provide true colo services.
Of course, my list is slightly rejudice.

MyLinuxISP - http://www.mylinuxisp.com
WT.net - http://www.wt.net
Level 3 - http://www.level3.com
Verio - http://www.verio.com/products/datacenter/
Texas.net - http://www.texas.net

Security can be your concern and you can implement it however you like.
You will be in complete control. No B.S. because someone else wants to
set it up their way. Your box, your rules. The wonderful benefit of
co-location.

--
Brian
My Linux ISP