project management software

Arianit Dobroshi

Jan 14, 2014, 3:27:15 AM1/14/14
to free-software-conference
So we're looking for the best FLOSS project management software to use.

I'm liking Redmine (Ruby on Rails)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redmine
http://www.redmine.org/

OpenProject
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenProject
https://www.openproject.org/
A fork of Redmine, more active developer community, more features though not sure if we need them

Teambox version 3 (Ruby on Rails)
Company behind it went closed source in version 4 which seems way better. Not sure if it's worth it considering this fact
https://github.com/teambox/teambox

Any other ones?

Would like to hear your opinions.

Arianit

Mike Dupont

Jan 14, 2014, 6:18:16 AM1/14/14
to Free Software Conference
Hi there,

for some projects you might want to keep it simple, just use a wiki,
maybe semantic media wiki.
other things can be done with pure git, or use a nice tool like
http://gitlab.org/ it has basic project management with a git repo
system

now for redmine,
https://www.chiliproject.org/ might be a nice alternative.
we were experimenting with open-atrium, it looked promising.
otrs can be used, but it is very bulky.
openerp might be a solution, but I am not convinced about it.
see this older post for more ideas.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/open-source-project-management-software.html
mike
> --

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

Altin Ukshini

Jan 14, 2014, 2:50:02 PM1/14/14
to Free Software Conference
I heard that this one is good too: http://www.achievo.org/

--
Altin Ukshini
President of the Executive Board

+386 (0) 49 199 992 | altin....@gmail.com | altinukshini.wordpress.com
in...@flossk.org | www.flossk.org

Shkumbin Brestovci

Jan 15, 2014, 4:45:40 AM1/15/14
to Free Software Conference
we (rrota) are using achievo. it's rather good for service companies which need to track time for their service, I wouldn't say it's good for project management in general because it's to much focused on time tracking.
Take a look at http://scrumy.com/ as well, It's simple it's agile but you have to do it the scrum way.

Arianit Dobroshi

Jan 15, 2014, 9:11:28 AM1/15/14
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
+1 Scrumy.

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

Besfort Guri

Jan 15, 2014, 9:20:41 AM1/15/14
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
+1 scrumy

Regards
Besfort Guri
+377 44 49 88 91, +386 49 87 75 75
Blog: http://besiguri.wordpress.com

Besnik Bleta

Jan 15, 2014, 9:46:58 AM1/15/14
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com

Tungjatjeta,

Rastësisht është botuar më 14 Janar të këtij viti, kështu që duhet jetë
mjaft i përditësuar:

https://opensource.com/business/14/1/top-project-management-tools-2014?sc_cid=70160000000c0zjAAA

Ndoshta mund t'ju ndihë...
të fala,
Besnik

Arianit Dobroshi

Jan 19, 2014, 9:00:34 AM1/19/14
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Besnik and other for engaging in the discussion.

I had another look and here are my conclusions of what has been suggested so far. I like Scrumy for its simplicity but it's proprietary, we can't host it and free accounts are are public and editable by anyone. So no go.

Among the open source ones, OpenProject and ChiliProject are forks of Redmine. They all go beyond our needs but ChiliProject and OpenProject have an UI advantage over Redmine. OpenProject seems to have the highest number of developer activity with lots of add-ons and many users, including many big ones. Long term, this seems the safest way to go.

Any takers in installing OpenProject in stripped-down configuation?

Thank you,

Arianit

Mike Dupont

Jan 19, 2014, 10:53:37 AM1/19/14
On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Arianit Dobroshi <ari...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any takers in installing OpenProject in stripped-down configuation?

You have a server to put it on? Should be simple. Send me the access codes.

Arianit Dobroshi

Jan 20, 2014, 5:30:54 AM1/20/14
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com, jamesmi...@googlemail.com
Altin, can you help?

Altin Ukshini

Jan 20, 2014, 6:27:24 AM1/20/14
to Free Software Conference, James Michael Dupont

Yup but we need to get the servers running first...

Sent from my phone.

Ahmet Rama

Jan 20, 2014, 4:24:19 PM1/20/14
to Free Software Conference
You can count on me to :)

Arianit Dobroshi

Jan 21, 2014, 2:51:46 AM1/21/14
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
Met, a ki naj projekt ekzistus ku po don me u bashkangjit apo mujim me t'dhone dicka t're? P.sh. ownCloud eshte interesant si zevendesim i Dropbox.

On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:24:19 PM UTC+1, meti wrote:
You can count on me to :)
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Altin Ukshini <altin....@gmail.com> wrote:

Yup but we need to get the servers running first...

Sent from my phone.

On Jan 20, 2014 11:30 AM, "Arianit Dobroshi" <ari...@gmail.com> wrote:
Altin, can you help?