OwnCloud

Arianit Dobroshi

Dec 25, 2013, 10:05:28 AM12/25/13
to free-software-conference
OwnCloud is very very nice. Any chance we can get something like that for us?

Arianit

Mike Dupont

Dec 25, 2013, 10:48:29 AM12/25/13
to Free Software Conference
yes, listen to this show

http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/274

Basically it is a simple php script, the key is to have hosting. I
think we have hosting on rackspace.
mike
> --

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

Arianit Dobroshi

Dec 25, 2013, 12:26:00 PM12/25/13
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com, jamesmi...@googlemail.com
I'll do. The only thing is this is storage intensive.

Over 300 people on their irc channel. This is excellent.

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Arianit Dobroshi <ari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OwnCloud is very very nice. Any chance we can get something like that for
> us?
>
> Arianit

Agron Selimaj

Mar 11, 2015, 10:19:46 AM3/11/15
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
I installed OwnCloud on a shared host and it is requiring too much memory and CPU power.

My experience on a shared host hasn't been good at all.

Actually it's only been good if there is just one user uploading/downloading one file at a time. What was your experience?

//Agron

Ar Brahaj

Mar 11, 2015, 10:27:56 AM3/11/15
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
I am using Owncloud extensively for my family (2 users) on a dedicated server where I can control the CPU and everything. The server is relatively loaded with some websites which bring about 150,000 sessions per month running apache/php/mysql/email/tomcat.

Never had to check on the load of the OwnCloud, it was never an issue! It runs smoothly and never had a problem. I have about 100GB in the owncloud and do continuous synchronisation.

Unless you have a 1$/month hosting by "hostproviders" such as hostgator, you should have no problem.

- A

Redon Skikuli

Mar 11, 2015, 11:10:19 AM3/11/15
to Free Software Conference
I am thinking of installing it at Namecheap shared hosting for quite some time now, but didn't have the time. It hosts 3 low traffic websites at the moment.
Do you guys have any experience with Namecheap?

---
Redon Skikuli
e-mail: re...@skikuli.com
web:
www.skikuli.com

Navyn

Mar 11, 2015, 3:33:22 PM3/11/15
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
No but I would take a look at lowendbox.com for better specs and a lower price.

Ardian Haxha

Mar 11, 2015, 5:00:09 PM3/11/15
to Free Software Conference

From what I read it's against the policy of shared hosting to use software like owncloud to host (GBs ) private file. Hostgator has this policy. I'd suggest something like digitalocean or linode, best would be to have your own physical server but yep it takes resources.

Agron Selimaj

Mar 15, 2015, 12:48:30 AM3/15/15
to free-softwar...@googlegroups.com
Ardian,
If you can have an FTP account with the hosting company you can have ownCloud as well. Most of these hosting providers include FTP services in you hosting account and and you don't even have to ask for it.
If FTP is a file sharing service so is ownCloud, just ownCloud does it over HTTP (WebDav).
I saw that DigitalOcean has a One-Click-App of ownCloud.
Ar Brahaj,

Since you have a good experience on a dedicated machine, I think that's the way to go. Is it a dedicated machine at your hosting provider or is it a physical machine at your premises?

Redon,
I never heard of Namecheap. I looked at it and it seems ok to try. The only thing I don't like about them is how they calculate uptime.

Ardian Haxha

Mar 15, 2015, 2:58:39 PM3/15/15
to Free Software Conference
Agron,

It doesn't matter what technology you use, it's againts the ToS of that hosting company.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/pre-sales-policies/rules-terms-of-service/legal-and-acceptable-content

The following are not acceptable on HostGator shared servers:

Storing files - Our shared servers are not for storing or archiving files, videos, mp3s or any other data. While we try to be flexible, use of a shared hosting account as a backup/storage device is not permissible