Porting FreeKiteSim to Julia programming language

Uwe Fechner

May 2, 2021, 10:05:23 AM5/2/21
to Free KiteSim
For a number of years FreeKiteSim does not work any more, mainly
because it is written in Python 2.x and uses the cgkit library
which is not available for Python 3.x

Therefore I decided to port it to the new Julia programming
language (https://julialang.org/), which has a lot of advantages:

- easy installation on Windows, Linux and Mac
  (well, you need working OpenGL and perhaps 15 min, but much
  easier and faster than before).

- long term support should be easy

- when adding the simulator part it should run 10 to 100 times
  faster and should be much more accurate and stable due to the
  automatic differentiation and the advanced solvers available
  in the package DifferentialEquations.jl
  see https://diffeq.sciml.ai/v2.0/

- the code is much cleaner

I just released version 0.3 of KiteViewer, a 3D and 2D viewer
for kite power data.

You can get it from:
https://github.com/ufechner7/KiteViewer

It can replay recorded simulations. Currently only one simulation
has been imported, but this should be already very good to explain
kite power to new people.

There is also an import script that can import CSV simulation data
and convert it to the Apache arrow format that I use now.

I plan to port the simulation code next, which should be much easier
than porting the GUI.

Please, check it out and give it a try!

In particular I am looking for feedback from Windows and MAC users.

Uwe

Uwe Fechner

May 8, 2021, 1:40:08 PM5/8/21
to Free KiteSim
Dear all,

Version 0.4 of KiteViewer is available, now with single window mode,
displaying one 3D view and two 2D diagrams in one window.

https://github.com/ufechner7/KiteViewer

Give it a try!

Uwe

Uwe --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Free KiteSim" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/free-kitesim/b0bc77a9-b282-4c8e-b136-c352d1c57701n%40googlegroups.com.