Successfully accessible large single page web apps?

m.wil...@midlandhr.co.uk

Mar 1, 2013, 4:24:38 AM3/1/13
to free...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to persuade the doubters in our business that a full javascript front end that only passes data to back end can also be accessible.

What are the biggest applications that I can point to, that are successfully compliant? - Yahoo Mail seems to be a good example, but I'm not sure its all front end.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Mark

Ted Drake

Apr 25, 2013, 1:18:12 PM4/25/13
to free...@googlegroups.com
Bootstrap is the most common platform for this today. It's possible to make them accessible. The key elements are:

  1. Make sure the pages have unique urls and can be bookmarked. See the presentation by Todd Kloots at the 2013 HTML5 dev conference in San Francisco. https://speakerdeck.com/todd/pushstate-to-the-future
  2. Make sure the pages have unique page titles for each view.
  3. Make sure the user knows when the page refreshes. This may be as simple as setting focus on new content.
  4. Make sure the content being displayed is accessible. We still need to work with basic accessibility requirements.
Yahoo! Mail is an extreme example. Todd Kloots worked with that team for a year to make sure every element worked with screen readers. In many instances, they found bugs that led screen reader and browser companies to make changes. You can't expect others to have that type of resource.

We are working on some examples at Intuit, but they are not yet public. I've been impressed by the potential, which is not something I would have expected two years ago.

Ted Drake
Intuit Accessibility

Dennis L

Feb 12, 2015, 6:48:51 PM2/12/15
to free...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ted!

Dennis L

Feb 12, 2015, 6:49:48 PM2/12/15
to free...@googlegroups.com
Here's another resource on Vimeo:
-Dennis

Octavian Rasnita

Feb 13, 2015, 12:35:37 AM2/13/15
to free...@googlegroups.com
And more important than all of these is that the page should be not huge and freeze JAWS for a few seconds after the user hits enter on a link.
(This usually happends most of the time with that kind of pages.)

--Octavian

Ted Drake

Feb 13, 2015, 4:58:22 PM2/13/15
to free...@googlegroups.com
It's also important to remember that accessibility is not going to require work. Developers will need to pay attention to keyboard accessibility with and without a screen reader. Also, there are so many bad examples floating around the web, so they need to remember that the code generated at the client level still needs to be semantic and accessible. If you don't stress this up front you'll find the app littered with span/div based pseudo buttons.

ted