Transparent Tomcat to get to Apache

1 view

Mark Walker

Sep 7, 2010, 10:21:47 PM9/7/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

Gabriel Dzodom

Sep 7, 2010, 10:23:09 PM9/7/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Mark posting

Mark Walker

Sep 7, 2010, 10:36:49 PM9/7/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

Peter Larsen

Sep 8, 2010, 12:35:31 AM9/8/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 22:21 -0400, Mark Walker wrote:

> After hearing someone describe this question, I'm posting this as a
> matter of curiosity. The question, if I understand it clearly, is this:
> With a Tomcat server in front of an Apache server, how can the Apache
> server be accessed directly when the Tomcat server is the one facing the
> outside?

This is done quite regulary. Not for the purpose you suggest but to use
Apache's cache for static content, and tomcat for dynamic content.

To see how to do it, try one of the manage pages discussing the subject.
Here's one at the source: http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/ .

> The reason for wanting to do this is to perform remote
> administration of the Apache server without hard-configuring ports or
> other workarounds that might impair the functionality of either server.

I would recommend webmin for that instead.

> Possible solutions under consideration include configuring the Tomcat
> server to ignore GET requests for php pages and to pass them on to the
> Apache server.

It's a lot more advanced. You can setup URL patterns with regex
expressions that gets routed from the front to the backend server. It
can be conditional and a lot more "cool stuff".

> Certainly configuration file code would be appreciated by all interested
> in this topic.

See the above link. There's lots of examples, explanations and reasons
for doing it or not doing it.

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
The first is to ensure your partner understands that nature has root
privileges - nature doesn't have to make sense.
-- Telsa Gwynne