WTF is the deal with Oracle these days?

1 view

Derrik Walker v2.0

Sep 22, 2010, 9:49:13 PM9/22/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Can someone please tell me what the deal is with Oracle and what kind of Game they are playing?

Really!?!  No one is falling for that "upgraded" kernel crap, right?

- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew" - Adam Savage

Paul W. Frields

Sep 23, 2010, 9:37:08 AM9/23/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:49:13PM -0400, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
> Can someone please tell me what the deal is with Oracle and what
> kind of Game they are playing?
>
> Really!?! No one is falling for that "upgraded" kernel crap, right?

Oracle is basically slapping a newer kernel on RHEL 5 and calling it
an improvement. But the people who buy enterprise software buy it
*precisely* because it doesn't change like this. Long lifecycle,
highly predictable, extremely stable. Not "ooo, new and shiny," which
will quickly destabilize or kill an enterprise infrastructure.

RHEL 6 will shortly leapfrog Oracle's "new, shiny" with "OK, new, but
extremely well tested and coordinated with the upstream, and lots of
hardware and software certs to go with it."

I tend to think Oracle is still casting about wildly for any real
Linux strategy because they seem to neither understand nor offer the
value of the true open source triple play[1].

* * *
[1] http://www.redhat.com/magazine/001nov04/features/tripleplay/

Derrik Walker

Sep 23, 2010, 1:12:10 PM9/23/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 23, 2010, at 09:37 AM, "Paul W. Frields" <stic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Really!?! No one is falling for that "upgraded" kernel crap, right?

Oracle is basically slapping a newer kernel on RHEL 5 and calling it
an improvement. But the people who buy enterprise software buy it
*precisely* because it doesn't change like this. Long lifecycle,
highly predictable, extremely stable. Not "ooo, new and shiny," which
will quickly destabilize or kill an enterprise infrastructure.

Yea, I'd been surprised if you fell for their nonsense.

Sometimes, I just don't understand Oracle, if they want to kill Redhat, why not just buy them?

I tend to think Oracle is still casting about wildly for any real
Linux strategy because they seem to neither understand nor offer the
value of the true open source triple play[1].

I think killing off OpenSolaris pretty much show's how clueless they are.

- Derrik

Brian Maddox

Sep 23, 2010, 3:33:24 PM9/23/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Ellison has always had Gates envy.  They're afraid of becoming marginalized so now want to sell database boxes where not only can they charge an insane amount of the hardware and database, but also for support contracts.

This looks really good to the PHB's in the world where FLOSS still has to fight perception issues and as a community we tend to infight which doesn't look so great to the PHB's.

"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."
  - Mark Twain

Paul W. Frields

Sep 24, 2010, 8:05:58 AM9/24/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 05:12:10PM +0000, Derrik Walker wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2010, at 09:37 AM, "Paul W. Frields" <stic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Really!?! No one is falling for that "upgraded" kernel crap, right?
> >
> >Oracle is basically slapping a newer kernel on RHEL 5 and calling it
> >an improvement. But the people who buy enterprise software buy it
> >*precisely* because it doesn't change like this. Long lifecycle,
> >highly predictable, extremely stable. Not "ooo, new and shiny," which
> >will quickly destabilize or kill an enterprise infrastructure.
>
> Yea, I'd been surprised if you fell for their nonsense.
>
> Sometimes, I just don't understand Oracle, if they want to kill
> Redhat, why not just buy them?

Here's something to think about. One of Red Hat's very solid assets
is thought leadership, and having engineers who have strong
reputations in the upstream communities where they work (particularly
important areas like kernel, Xorg, core utilities, compilers/tools,
and so on). If Oracle bought Red Hat, how many of those engineers do
you think would be inclined to jump ship and continue competing
against Larry elsewhere?