Saturday Install Fest hours

1 view

Peter Larsen

Sep 20, 2010, 2:24:48 PM9/20/10
to FredLUG
Did anyone contact the library about seeing if extending our stay on
Saturday the 25th is possible?

I have a family event to go to, so I won't be able to stay long after
11am. However, I think if possible, reserving at least 4 hours instead
of 2 would be beneficial?

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if
I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?"
-- Steven Wright

Mark Walker

Sep 20, 2010, 2:42:26 PM9/20/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

Paul Frields

Sep 20, 2010, 4:11:46 PM9/20/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

Mark Walker

Sep 21, 2010, 1:20:39 PM9/21/10
to FredLUG
Update--good news:

"Hi Mark -
I moved another group who uses Room 2 across the hall so that your
group can
use Room 2 all day, until closing at 5:30.
Regards, Emma"

So no worries about space for InstallFest! :-)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkyXxjgACgkQfCKHDapILkaQZgCg9BqVxnr85t+MIBbngTQCGz08
> NNQAoMCorrDwbf1REPhNVoxVW45vmvor
> =eJS5
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE------ Hide quoted text -

Message has been deleted

Peter Larsen

Sep 21, 2010, 4:00:58 PM9/21/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 13:47 -0400, Barry Wass wrote:
> Is the InstallFest primarily for Fedora?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Personally I have most experience with the RH type platform like Fedora,
but other installations shouldn't be a problem. We have plenty of people
in the group that uses non-fedora distros and who will know how to do
get distrubutions like Ubuntu running.

> A couple months ago I brought in my Toshiba mini laptop and we were
> able to do a network boot/install of Fedora on the laptop. I would
> like to have Ubuntu running on it (I still need training wheels) and
> was wondering if you were going to have any other flavors of Linux
> available for network install. This laptop will not boot from a thumb
> drive or external CD/DVD drive.

Bring it :) We'll have a PXE server there. Once an Ubuntu image has been
added to it, you'll install from there.

There's one little "pro-fedora" I'll make though. Ubuntu is by no means
easier or harder to use compared to Fedora. Both projects "borrow" from
eachother quite often and they are, in certain aspects very much the
same. There are often other reasons why you would choose one distro over
another. Personally I use fedora because it's the upstream to what I use
professionally. I do not run Debian or slackware. So I do not get any
advantages of using Ubuntu. There are other more "political" reasons
too, such as adherance to OpenSource and non-proparitary software.

That said - the install fest is not, and should not, be sold as a Fedora
install fest.

Bring the installation medium like a CD and we'll make your computer
boot. Promise :)

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:

The other day I... uh, no, that wasn't me.
-- Steven Wright

Paul W. Frields

Sep 21, 2010, 4:38:29 PM9/21/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
This is the Linux Users Group, not the Fedora Users Group -- we should
accommodate whatever people like to install, IMHO! That being said,
my expertise is in Fedora so I'm best off helping people with that.
We have a variety of distros represented in the group so as long as
people show up who can help (or aren't afraid to try helping in new
ways) we should be able to cover multiple distros.

Paul