DVD's for SFD

Ted Brunell

Sep 14, 2010, 6:17:56 PM9/14/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I just when by Staples to pick up some DVDs.  Sony DVD+R and Sony DVD-R are on sale for $12.99/50 pack or $20 for 100.

Do we still need OpenDisk, Fedora or Ubuntu discs for this Saturday?  Let me know and I will burn some.

R/
Ted

Peter Larsen

Sep 14, 2010, 6:34:59 PM9/14/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 18:17 -0400, Ted Brunell wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I just when by Staples to pick up some DVDs. Sony DVD+R and Sony
> DVD-R are on sale for $12.99/50 pack or $20 for 100.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check my local store and see if I can make
the same deal.

> Do we still need OpenDisk, Fedora or Ubuntu discs for this Saturday?
> Let me know and I will burn some.

I thought Paul or Jared were providing branded Fedora CD/DVDs? I have 3
or 4 2GB USB sticks I can give away. It's not a lot of room, but it'll
show F13 Live nicely.

I'm running low on DVD+Rs so I'll grab a stack tonight too. Ideas for
what we still need (and labels designs if we need those) and I'll start
copying too.

Ted are you bringing a cobbler server/switch for an Install fest type
approach? Do we need equipment to support that like monitors,
keyboard/mouse etc. for computers people bring in?

I also have a USB based "easy docking station" that allows me to take a
raw drive and plug it right in to the USB - as long as it's SATA. No
screws etc. Great for quick imaging and testing of a drive. Put in
another way, do we need to bring "computer hardware lab equipment" just
in case? I can definitely bring the basic geek kits, switches, wireless
routers, tools, misc. screws, cable testers etc.

About the TShirts I really hadn't planned to be in the burg until
Saturday morning, but if you need us to Ted, I can probably meet you in
there sometime Thursday?

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

Ted Brunell

Sep 14, 2010, 6:46:29 PM9/14/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

I will be in Sterling on Thursday and am unsure what time I will actually back down south.  I can bring the shirt on Saturday or Thursday night (although it may be late).

I think Jared volunteered to bring a server for the cobbler system for use on the 25th.  If he can't make it then I can bring stuff that I have here.  I can also bring a 24/48 port gig switch and some cables - the more the better - and a MythTV box just to show something else that Linux can do.  I'll have my laptop with me to show how well virtualization in Linux works too.

I was just going to burn the DVDs - I don't have the supplies to do labels right now.  I guess I will start with OpenDisc unless there is a need for something else.

R/
Ted

Paul Frields

Sep 15, 2010, 10:53:09 PM9/15/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Ted Brunell <ted.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter,
> I will be in Sterling on Thursday and am unsure what time I will actually
> back down south.  I can bring the shirt on Saturday or Thursday night
> (although it may be late).
> I think Jared volunteered to bring a server for the cobbler system for use
> on the 25th.  If he can't make it then I can bring stuff that I have here.
>  I can also bring a 24/48 port gig switch and some cables - the more the
> better - and a MythTV box just to show something else that Linux can do.
>  I'll have my laptop with me to show how well virtualization in Linux works
> too.
> I was just going to burn the DVDs - I don't have the supplies to do labels
> right now.  I guess I will start with OpenDisc unless there is a need for
> something else.
> R/
> Ted

I have a box of 50 Fedora CDs I'm bringing on Saturday. I also have a
spool of CDs we can use to burn things as needed. Unfortunately I'm
gone to RDU tomorrow and that will really cut into my time to prep,
but I still plan to bring stuff like a couple expandable chairs,
extension cords, my laptop, a couple shirts, and a few bags we can
give away.

Paul

Peter Larsen

Sep 16, 2010, 11:09:31 AM9/16/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 22:53 -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Ted Brunell <ted.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Peter,
> > I will be in Sterling on Thursday and am unsure what time I will actually
> > back down south. I can bring the shirt on Saturday or Thursday night
> > (although it may be late).

> > I think Jared volunteered to bring a server for the cobbler system for use
> > on the 25th. If he can't make it then I can bring stuff that I have here.
> > I can also bring a 24/48 port gig switch and some cables - the more the
> > better - and a MythTV box just to show something else that Linux can do.

IMPORTANT - I think I mixed up the two events and had them at the same
day. Just to be sure, as Ted says here - there is NO Install Fest on the
18th !

> > I'll have my laptop with me to show how well virtualization in Linux works
> > too.
> > I was just going to burn the DVDs - I don't have the supplies to do labels
> > right now. I guess I will start with OpenDisc unless there is a need for
> > something else.

For OpenDisc I have a document I printed last year with a quick list of
the software on there and descriptions. Purely taken from the site. I'll
try to get a similar thing done for the 18th.

> > R/
> > Ted
>
> I have a box of 50 Fedora CDs I'm bringing on Saturday. I also have a
> spool of CDs we can use to burn things as needed. Unfortunately I'm
> gone to RDU tomorrow and that will really cut into my time to prep,
> but I still plan to bring stuff like a couple expandable chairs,
> extension cords, my laptop, a couple shirts, and a few bags we can
> give away.

I bought 100 blank DVDs and have started burning OpenDisc. I can also do
some CDs with LiveCDs if needed?

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:

All language designers are arrogant. Goes with the territory...
-- Larry Wall

Ted Brunell

Sep 16, 2010, 11:20:14 AM9/16/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

I was going to bring them on the 18th.  If any are left over, we can use them on the 25th.

R/
Ted

Mark Walker

Sep 16, 2010, 11:57:28 AM9/16/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Wow, this must be tight schedule week for a lot of us! Time is tight,
but no "fails" that I can see so far. :-)

Mark