Mailing list future

1 view

Peter Larsen

Oct 25, 2010, 12:23:19 PM10/25/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I think it's time to be a bit more provocative. Fredlug's mailing list
isn't exactly the most active list out there but we do have times where
we have a lot of good stuff flowing here.

It pains me that the owner of all the data we type here, is google's -
and not "ours". Also, I wonder if it's a matter of time before Google
decides to remove the SMTP access so we have to use http and get their
adds. They may even "just" add advertisement in all the postings.
Choosing other vendors like Yahoo doesn't change those "features" at
all.

I propose that we use a fully open source, and fully TUX owned solution.
I'm getting a list created right now where most of the lugs in the mid
atlantic are hosted (under tux.org). Once I have the address I'll post
it here * IF THERE IS INTEREST *.

I really would like a discussion on this. It is an important subject -
regardless of how busy the group is. We should be add-free, and under
our own roof.

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
NO (or Linux) is the answer.
-- Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source unknown

Paul W. Frields

Oct 25, 2010, 6:10:04 PM10/25/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:23:19PM -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
> I think it's time to be a bit more provocative. Fredlug's mailing list
> isn't exactly the most active list out there but we do have times where
> we have a lot of good stuff flowing here.
>
> It pains me that the owner of all the data we type here, is google's -
> and not "ours". Also, I wonder if it's a matter of time before Google
> decides to remove the SMTP access so we have to use http and get their
> adds. They may even "just" add advertisement in all the postings.
> Choosing other vendors like Yahoo doesn't change those "features" at
> all.
>
> I propose that we use a fully open source, and fully TUX owned solution.
> I'm getting a list created right now where most of the lugs in the mid
> atlantic are hosted (under tux.org). Once I have the address I'll post
> it here * IF THERE IS INTEREST *.
>
> I really would like a discussion on this. It is an important subject -
> regardless of how busy the group is. We should be add-free, and under
> our own roof.

I'm all for it! We originally went with Ggroups because at the time
Tux.org/novalug was recovering from a disaster and it wasn't clear
they'd have supportible hardware in the near future. That's all been
cleared up AIUI.

Since we *do* have access to our full archives right now, can we
import, say, a Maildir store into mailman so our full archives are
available at the new location?

Mark Walker

Oct 26, 2010, 9:10:15 PM10/26/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

This topic is centrally important enough for it to be at the top of the
agenda for this Saturday's FredLUG meeting. Wouldn't it be great to be
100% open source!

Component items on the agenda, listed so far, would be these:
~> Role of tux.org for FredLUG
~> WWW front for FredLUG; what, who, and how-to
~> Files management
~> Mail and Files Archives migration
~> Email list hosting and management
~> Compare with other alternatives, such as linuxfoundation.org

Question for the rest of this week is: What further research is needed
before this Saturday to help us with a more informed discussion?

Mark

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:23:19PM -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
> I think it's time to be a bit more provocative. Fredlug's mailing list
> isn't exactly the most active list out there but we do have times where
> we have a lot of good stuff flowing here.
>
> It pains me that the owner of all the data we type here, is google's -
> and not "ours". Also, I wonder if it's a matter of time before Google
> decides to remove the SMTP access so we have to use http and get their
> adds. They may even "just" add advertisement in all the postings.
> Choosing other vendors like Yahoo doesn't change those "features" at
> all.
>
> I propose that we use a fully open source, and fully TUX owned solution.
> I'm getting a list created right now where most of the lugs in the mid
> atlantic are hosted (under tux.org). Once I have the address I'll post
> it here * IF THERE IS INTEREST *.
>
> I really would like a discussion on this. It is an important subject -
> regardless of how busy the group is. We should be add-free, and under
> our own roof.

I'm all for it! We originally went with Ggroups because at the time
Tux.org/novalug was recovering from a disaster and it wasn't clear
they'd have supportible hardware in the near future. That's all been
cleared up AIUI.

Since we *do* have access to our full archives right now, can we
import, say, a Maildir store into mailman so our full archives are
available at the new location?

- - --

- - --

- --

Mark Caldwell Walker
Contact info at marwalk.tel
GnuPG public key AA482E46

Peter Larsen

Oct 27, 2010, 10:23:42 AM10/27/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 18:10 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I propose that we use a fully open source, and fully TUX owned
> solution.
> > I'm getting a list created right now where most of the lugs in the
> mid
> > atlantic are hosted (under tux.org). Once I have the address I'll
> post
> > it here * IF THERE IS INTEREST *.
> >
> > I really would like a discussion on this. It is an important subject
> -
> > regardless of how busy the group is. We should be add-free, and
> under
> > our own roof.
>
> I'm all for it! We originally went with Ggroups because at the time
> Tux.org/novalug was recovering from a disaster and it wasn't clear
> they'd have supportible hardware in the near future. That's all been
> cleared up AIUI.

Correct.

> Since we *do* have access to our full archives right now, can we
> import, say, a Maildir store into mailman so our full archives are
> available at the new location?

That I'm not sure how can be done. It's very different formats. But it
sounds like a great project for someone :)

I now have the list open:

Go there and sign up. Or hold on until after Saturday's meeting. I think
it's a great thing to discuss and decide on that meeting.

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:

Dijkstra probably hates me.
-- Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c

Peter Larsen

Oct 27, 2010, 10:30:17 AM10/27/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 21:10 -0400, Mark Walker wrote:

> This topic is centrally important enough for it to be at the top of the
> agenda for this Saturday's FredLUG meeting. Wouldn't it be great to be
> 100% open source!
>
> Component items on the agenda, listed so far, would be these:
> ~> Role of tux.org for FredLUG
> ~> WWW front for FredLUG; what, who, and how-to
> ~> Files management
> ~> Mail and Files Archives migration
> ~> Email list hosting and management
> ~> Compare with other alternatives, such as linuxfoundation.org

In ONLY two hours :)
Sounds like we have a plan for Saturday. See you all there.

> Question for the rest of this week is: What further research is needed
> before this Saturday to help us with a more informed discussion?

Look at CMS (Content Management Systems) out there in the open source
world. Joomla and Drupal are good examples. Look at ways to export the
existing mailing lists from Google Groups out. I'll chat up some of the
mailman experts I know to see what options we have to import archives.

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
-- Bruce Ediger, bed...@teal.csn.org, on X interfaces

Chris O'Donnell

Oct 27, 2010, 1:23:44 PM10/27/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
I won't there on Saturday - sports parent duty. Mark has my proxy if we vote on anything :)

Chris

Peter Larsen

Oct 27, 2010, 1:48:26 PM10/27/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 18:10 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Since we *do* have access to our full archives right now, can we
> import, say, a Maildir store into mailman so our full archives are
> available at the new location?

All done. I've imported my fredlug local archives to calypso. Worked
perfectly! Now, if I can just get fredlug to show up on the main page :)

Archives: http://calypso2.tux.org/pipermail/fredlug

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:

Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?
-- Steven Wright

Mark Walker

Oct 27, 2010, 8:46:05 PM10/27/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

Regarding possible CMS alternatives, I recommend looking at plone
http://plone.org/
It's built on Zope, and thus Python.

Another possibility is alfresco
http://www.alfresco.com/about/
although we probably don't need something designed for the enterprise level.

If the CMS we choose doesn't provide a wiki capability, mediawiki
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
is a tried and proven open source wiki package.

There are many many others too.

Mark

On 10/27/10 10:30 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:

Chris O'Donnell

Oct 27, 2010, 9:44:26 PM10/27/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
That all seems a little overkill for what we need. Isn't Wordpress more than enough?

Chris

Peter Larsen

Oct 27, 2010, 11:48:07 PM10/27/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 21:44 -0400, Chris O'Donnell wrote:
> That all seems a little overkill for what we need. Isn't Wordpress
> more than enough?

Why not start with defining what we need/want in the first place? What
would the purpose of the Fredlug website be driving the decision about
what features we need. Also, should the needs of today limit us in
regards to the need of tomorrow?

Here's a couple of the features I think we need to have at a very
minimum:

* Blogs
* Calendar
* Pictures / media upload and sharing
* IRC "plug" for #Fredlug - maybe even a http proxy to the group
* Mailing List intro
* Linux Use in the Real World
* Open Source
* Open source tools/apps for different business types

The Site must provide:

* Template based
* Pure HTML (no proparitary plugins needed - read Flash)
* Wiki type content provisioning. Content must and should be added
online.

Well, that's just what I could think about right now. Before we can
decide on the tools to use, we should first agree to a list like the one
above.

--
Best Regards
Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:

Thank goodness modern convenience is a thing of the remote future.
-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/fredlug?hl=en.
>

> --
> Chris
>

> --

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Paul W. Frields

Oct 28, 2010, 11:45:37 AM10/28/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com

Good starter list, no disagreement here.

Everything there, interestingly, can be provided by WordPress, AFAIK,
which is a form of light CMS that also is an awesome multiuser
blogging system. (Many of us have our own blogs already and might
simply like to tag posts to be republished there.) The IRC plug could
just be a link to http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#fredlug for
that matter.