Help with Linux

Stephanie

Sep 30, 2010, 9:38:42 AM9/30/10
to FredLUG
I'm new to Linux and the group. I got a copy of Ubuntu from the
library (8.04) and installed it on my older laptop. I did not
partition but wiped Windows out. That felt great. However, my wireless
network is not working at all. I've read the using NdisWrapper might
fix it but I am in a little over my head now. Is there anyone in the
group that could help me?

Chris O'Donnell

Sep 30, 2010, 10:00:23 AM9/30/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu 8.04 is 2-1/2 years old. Ubuntu 10.04 is the current release, and odds are pretty good that wireless will just work with 10.04. The simplest solution might be to install the most recent version and start from there. We have plenty of copies of 10.04 - unfortunately our next meeting isn't until Oct 18th. Since you mention this is your old laptop I assume you have another working computer? You can download 10.04 from http://www.ubuntu.com. Create a disk image and then install it over 8.04. I'd be surprised if wireless doesn't just work for you.

Chris

woolsey....@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2010, 10:11:07 AM9/30/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Ill try that. I've been out of town but am hoping to come to next meeting.

From: "Chris O'Donnell" <chr...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:00:23 -0400
Subject: Re: [FredLUG] Help with Linux

Paul W. Frields

Sep 30, 2010, 12:00:57 PM9/30/10
to fre...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 02:11:07PM +0000, woolsey....@gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you. Ill try that. I've been out of town but am hoping to come
> to next meeting.

You'll be very welcome! The next meeting is Monday, Oct. 18 at 7:00pm
at Library HQ, meeting room #2 downstairs.